Waldhotel Health & Medical Excellence Switzerland
Walhotel Health & Medical Excellence
Buergenstock 30, 6363 Obbuergen, Switzerland
Buergenstock Hotels AG
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Robert Herr. Since January 2017, Robert Herr is General Manager of the Buergenstock Resort. Previous roles include General Manager and Area General Manager positions in Beirut, Berlin within InterContinental Hotels & Resort.
WALDHOTEL HEALTH & MEDICAL EXCELLENCE
History & Story
A legend. Since 1873. In one of the world’s most stunning settings, in a country renowned for its hospitality, a trendsetting new destination has debuted. Set on a forested ridge 500 m (1,600 ft) above spectacular Lake Lucerne with views of the Rigi and Pilatus Mountains, the Buergenstock Resort Lake Lucerne boasts top-of-the range luxury hotels with wellness facilities, a Health & Medical Center and a unique gastronomy offer. The resort comprises a total inventory of 383 rooms spread across four hotels: the Bürgenstock Hotel & Alpine Spa, 5-star superior; the Palace Hotel & Conferences, 4-star superior; the Waldhotel Health & Medical Excellence, a 5-star medical hotel; and the Taverne 1879, the 3-star Swiss inn. In addition, the resort boasts 67 residence suites, 12 restaurants and bars, a 10,000m2 (107,000 ft2) Alpine spa, meeting space for up to 800 people and a wide range of leisure activities – not to mention the highest outdoor elevator in Europe – and a funicular that deposits guests directly inside the hotel. A nine-hole golf course, three championship tennis courts, a curling rink, 70km (43 miles) of hiking and biking trails and a private lido on the lake will keep active guests busy and happy.
The Waldhotel Health & Medical Excellence has been designed by star architect Matteo Thun and is part of a fully integrated Resort located 500m above Lake Lucerne and only 20 minutes drive from the city centre of Lucerne.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Healthy by Nature Programmes : An extensive range of health-promoting services under medical and therapeutic guidance :
– Diagnostics & Advanced Check-up
– Body & Mind Balance
– Weight Management & Metabolism
– Mobility & Activity
– Beauty & Health Ageing
500m above Lake Lucerne with stunning views from all areas within the hotel over Lake Lucerne, mount Rigi and Pilatus being Lucerne’s most popular mountains. Embedded in unspoilt nature, 70km of hiking and biking trails, local farmers and Swiss cows add a very special touch to the unique Buergenstock Resort. In case of desire for a city, the hotel provides complimentary transport in kind of funicular and boat to the city centre of Lucerne which is only 20 minutes away.
Key sites/activities in the area
Cliff walk “Felsenweg” to the Hammetschwand Lift: Located at an altitude of 1,132 metres, the Hammetschwand Lift is the highest outdoor elevator in Europe. Already 111 years ago, the trip on board this lift was taking the breath away from its first passengers. Today, the lift makes the 152-metre vertical run in less than a minute, and the excitement of speeding so quickly skyward is exceeded only by the thrill of taking in the spectacular view. The fitness & gym area, suffused in light, not only offers you a wide range of training options in its 200m2, but also the unspoilt landscape of the Buergenstock Resort. A 9-hole golf course, 3 championship tennis courts, curling & ice skating rink in winter, private cinema with 69 incomparably comfortable leather seats, 70 km/40 miles of hiking & biking trails, suspension bridge, cruises on Lake Lucerne as well as hikes and rides on mount Pilatus, mount Rigi or Stanserhorn, various activities are only a stone-throw away.
– Audrey Hepburn got married to Mel Ferrer in the chapel of the Buergenstock Resort in 1954
– The historical kidney shaped outdoor Hollywood pool was once the meeting point of the international glamorous society
– Sophia Loren owned a charming villa here with her husband Carlo Ponti and lived several years in the Bürgenstock Resort during the Sixties
– Kids Club with 200 sqm playground area for kids (supervised)
– Fairy-tale of “Buergenmutz”, the Buergenmutz is a mythical creature that lives on the Buergenberg mountain and experiences many adventures
• Number of suites: 11
• Number of Luxury rooms: 126
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 137
– 68 Deluxe Balcony Rooms (42m²/ 452 sqft)
Surrounded by green forest, enjoy the idyllic view of lush meadows and picturesque mountains from your private balcony. Your stay is sure to be a relaxing experience.
– 58 Executive Terrace Rooms (42m²/ 452 sqft)
From your private terrace, enjoy an idyllic rural scene with lush meadows and picturesque mountains. In this trul natural setting, your stay will be a restful experience.
– 8 Waldhotel Alpine Suite (84m²/ 905 sqft)
An open view of the Alps, surrounded by pre-alpine forest – a real pleasure! In this expansive, brightly-lit suite, recharge your energy and live at eye level with imposing mountain peaks.
Relax with a bath in the free-standing tub and enjoy the wonderful view of the countryside.
– 2 Waldhotel Deluxe Suite (145 m²/ 1’560 sqft)
The modern architecture and luxurious interior by star architect Matteo Thun make this 145 square meter suite an exclusive getaway. The comfortable design with a cosy fireplace, walk-in wardrobe, private library and docking sound system is nothing short of ideal. Spend unforgettable hours by the crackling fire – in this one-of-a-kind mountain setting!
– 1 Waldhotel Executive Suite (152 m²/ 1’636 sqft)
Pure grandeur and indulgence! Floor-length windows let lots of natural light into this luxurious suite with two bedrooms, integrated kitchen, private library and walk-in wardrobe. In the evening, relax by the fireplace with a crackling fire – and enjoy the purest form of luxury!
Restaurants & Bars
• Spices Kitchen & Terrace, Asian cuisine serving dishes from China, Thailand, India and Sushi of a Japanese Sushi Master, open show kitchen, stunning view over lake Lucerne and Mount Rigi
• Sharq serving oriental food (Persian & Lebanese) such as mezze and a wide variety of main dishes
• RitzCoffier with its signature chef Marc Haeberlin, owning 3 Michelin stars for 26 years, is regarded as one of the most gifted chefs of his generation.
• OAK Grill & Patio, barbecue restaurant serving grilled meat and fish
• Taverne serving traditional Swiss cuisine such as Fondue or Raclette
• Verbena serving mediterranean light and healthy meals, dietary trained chef
• Lakeview Lobby Bar with floor to ceiling windows (7 metres high)
• Golf restaurant
Indoor pool 32 °C with counter-current system
Outdoor pool 35 °C with various massage nozzles and a unique view of the Alps
Salt Grotto 30 °C
Kneipp pool warm and cold (35 °C and 16 °C)
Indoor and outdoor relaxation area
Finnish Sauna 80 °C
Aroma Sauna 60 °C
Hammam with well-being guarantee 50 °C
Ice Room 10 °C
Outdoor and indoor relaxation area
Water beds for pure relaxation
Bio Sauna 60 °C
Hammam 45 °C
Indoor and outdoor relaxation area
Water beds for pure relaxation
Massage treatment rooms
Vital Dome – detox infra-red lounger
Thermo spa lounger
Skin care & beauty treatment rooms
Extra Notable Features
Total Buergenstock Resort
• 9-hole golf course
• 3 championship tennis courts
• Curling & ice skating rink
• Private cinema (69 seats)
• Cliff walk “Felsenweg”
• Highest outdoor elevator in Europe « Hammetschwand Lift »
• 70km/40 miles hiking & biking trails
• suspension bridge
• B-Outdoors Tours & Activities
• Hotel museums
• Skiing approximately 30 minutes
Hotel and restaurant Awards
World Luxury Hotel Awards 2018
Red Dot Design Awards – Product Design 2019
Number of employees