Azura Benguerra Island MOZAMBIQUE
Azura Benguerra Island
Benguerra Island, Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique
Date of Creation
01 December 2007
Hotel General Manager
5 star luxury
AZURA BENGUERRA ISLAND
History & Story
When Christopher and Stella Bettany founded Azura back in 2007, their vision was to take people to undiscovered places of authentic natural beauty, enable them to stay there in luxury, while at the same protecting the environment and positively changing the life of a local community. Azura Retreats remain true to those values to this day, which has not only allowed us to build a strong and recognisable brand but also a company that is synonymous with community, luxury and authenticity.
Christopher and Stella first fell in love with Mozambique with its endless deserted beaches, pristine reefs and sparkling turquoise seas. Its warm and welcoming people, with never ending smiles, were desperately in need of an opportunity to change their lives. Incurably romantic as a destination, steeped in history, and yet undiscovered by the luxury travel world, they decided to build their first hotel together there. They did so in collaboration with the local community, many of whom are still working for Azura to this day, and Azura Benguerra Island was born.
All Azura Retreats have our unique décor concept, we call it ‘designed to give back’, where local community projects work hand in hand with the Azura designers to create special little pieces you will find throughout our hotels. With such pristine environments surrounding us, our unique experiences followed naturally. On land or sea, above or below the ocean, on safari with Africa’s wildest animals, or culturally exploring our local community, Azura Retreats’ core philosophy is that every day is different, to be explored to the maximum or left for pure relaxation, the choice is yours. We believe our team is there to host you as much or as little as you wish. That whatever we do, we must do it in style, without losing the authenticity of the destination. That our people, and the small things, really do make a difference.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
At Azura we care about making your stay special. That starts with providing hosts to look after you during your stay. They’ll take care of you during your time with us, including serving your meals, setting up your lunch table at the water’s edge, or serving the cocktail of the day to your beachside sala as the sun goes down. Our hosts have a genuine warmth and are friendly, and will delight in looking after you. They have big smiles and even bigger stories to share with you.
Azura is located on Benguerra Island within the Bazaruto Marine National Park. Benguerra Island lies 14km north east of Vilanculos, the nearest town and site of the international airport. There are flights on Airlink and LAM from Johannesburg International airport (OR Tambo) to the Vilanculos International Airport (VNX). The flying time from Johannesburg is approximately 1½ hours. These flights are designed to connect well with the major international flights to and from Europe. There are also regular flights from Maputo (MPM) on LAM. Both Airlink and LAM offer daily flights from Johannesburg to Vilanculos. Azura Benguerra can be easily combined with a Kruger or Sabi Sands Safari; Airlink is flying from Nelspruit (KMIA) airport to Vilanculos 5 x week. You will be able to enjoy a game drive in the morning and sip your cocktail on the Azura beach in the afternoon.
Key sites/activities in the area
- Scuba Diving, we are a PADI 5 Star centre, with dedicated dive training pool
- Guided snorkelling trips
- Island visits, including our recommended Island Hop
- Guided tours of the island and its natural beauty, as well as visits to the community and school
- Local soccer match
- Visits to Vilanculos and its market
- Deep sea fishing in a custom-built boat
- Shore based fishing
- Spa treatments
- Leisure flips in the Helicopter to various destinations
- Horse riding
- Dhow sailing and sunset cruises
- Guided marine walks
- Star gazing events
- Beach walks with a picnic
- Beach picnic and private dining
- Guided bird watching / walking trails
- Dolphin sightings (year round)
- Dugong sightings
- Whale sightings (in season, June-Oct)
- Cultural encounters
Azura Benguerra Island is a wonderful place for a family holiday, with Villa Amizade and the Presidential Villa being the best choice. Children and teens will be spoilt for choice when it comes to spending time here with us. Whilst we don’t have the traditional kids and activity clubs you find in larger hotels, we offer a host of activities for children and families to participate in. We do ask that younger children should dine ‘in villa’ to respect the privacy of our other guests, and our chef will meet with you on arrival to discuss any particular dietary needs you may have.
20 Beach Villas:
- 3 Beach Villas: bedroom, private plunge pool
- 3 Luxury Beach Villas: bedroom, private 3.5m pool
- 10 Infinity Beach Villas: bedroom, private 5m pool
- 2 Royal Beach Villas: bedroom and lounge, private 9m pool, Jacuzzi
- Villa Amizade: 2 bedrooms both ensuite, lounge, kitchenette, 11m swimming pool
- Presidential Villa: 3 bedrooms all ensuite, lounge, bar area, kitchen, private 16m swimming pool, private chef and private butler-host
Restaurants & Bars
At Azura guests dine in different locations and with different set ups every day, set ups arranged by their butler-host.
- Jellyfish Restaurant
- Beach dining
- Private dining at own villa or on beach in front of own villa
- Wine cellar
Our aim is for guests to never eat in the same place twice. At Azura, dining is all part of the experience, from breakfast at the water’s edge, to a picnic on a remote sand island, to dining on a candle lit beach beneath the stars and romantic private dinners at your villa. Our menus are based on what is fresh and available, with a focus on light meals, simple ingredients, and lots of fresh fish and seafood. It’s a simple understated affair. Except for meals on activities like private beach picnics, all Azura rates are inclusive of all meals.
- Azura African Spa : Azura’s spa signature treatments are based on local ingredients and traditions, the treatments take their inspiration from the very heart of Africa.
- All villas have private pools and the activities centre has a training pool for learning to snorkel or dive.
- An outdoor fitness trail is being finalised currently, kayaking and Stand Up Paddle boarding is available.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Azura Benguerra Energising Executive Escapes: A change of scenery and sharing new experiences can improve productivity and enhance co-operation between team members like nothing else. Whisk your team away for a relaxing and re-energising retreat and see what a difference it makes to your company culture. A stay tailored to suit your preferences is a fundamental part of Azura Retreats’ ethos, and the same applies to our executive retreats. Whether you’re looking for a way to reward or incentivise your team, activities to promote teamwork and co-operation or an exclusive escape to finetune your strategy, we can create your ideal executive retreat.
Number of employees