Eagle Island Lodge, A Belmond Safari Botswana
Eagle Island Lodge, A Belmond Safari, Botswana
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Christelle Horne, General Manager of Belmond Safaris and all three luxury lodges in Botwana.
5 Star luxury safari lodge
Eagle Island Lodge, A Belmond Safari, Botswana reopened in November 2015 after an almost total rebuild.
Eagle Island Lodge, A Belmond Safari, Botswana
History & Story
Eagle Island Lodge, A Belmond Safari, Botswana is the ultimate Okavango Delta water- & experience-focused safari lodge. One of Botswana’s original safari lodges, perched on a private island encircled by some of the deepest stretches of the Okavango Delta, one of the world’s largest inland water systems and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The lodge is decorated to reflect an explorer’s base. Design highlights in the twelve spacious deluxe tented rooms include oversized beds with views of the delta, large outdoor decks with a vista, private plunge pools, luxurious bathrooms with large tubs, indoor & outdoor showers, a relaxation and reading nook, and walk-in wardrobes. Fully rebuilt public areas include a stylish dining area with a pizza oven, a lounge area with an artisan-style bar, a library, a separate campfire area and the Fish Eagle Bar which is located directly on the water. Local artisans and materials were used throughout the renovations. The lodge offers a variety of essentially water-focused safari activities including motorboat safaris, barge cruises, mekoro safaris (a local canoe), fishing, as well as walking safaris and the ultimate air safari experience by helicopter – a highlight of any guests’ stay! There is an abundance of bird and aquatic wildlife around the lodge, complemented by larger mammals such as elephant, buffalo, hippo, crocodile, as well as the ever elusive big cats that have made this island their home.
2015, The Gallery HBG ; the lodge had a almost complete rebuild.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• One of the only TRUE water-based luxury safari lodges in the Okavango Delta, offering unrivalled safari experiences
• Situated on one of the most sought after islands in the Delta (Xaxaba Island), with uninterrupted 270 degree views of the surrounding floodplains
• a rich history of tales and intrigue, as one of the first lodge locations of its type to be secured decades ago, and starting off as crocodile hunting camp
• boasts the Fish Eagle Bar, which was voted but the New York Times as ‘one of the most romantic bars in the world’
• one of the largest varieties of safari activities possible, with no less that 6 safari activities forming part of the lodge experience, and naturally results in an above average length of stay by guests
• an intimate safari experience with a maximum of 12 accommodations, each with their private views of the surrounding wilderness, making guests a part of a privileged few who get to experience the wonders of the Okavango Delta
• the only permanent based Helicopter in the Okavango Delta where safaris by air form part of every day activities of the lodge, and open guests up to an incredible experience of sighting animals and unique photographic opportunities
• a vastly experienced guiding team with all guides being local to the region and having an unsurpassed knowledge of the animals, birds, and intricate geological phenomenon’s that occur only in the Okavango Delta
Okavango Delta, Botswana
Mokoro safari (local canoe),
Speed boat on the delta,
Relax by your own private rim-flow pool or read a book in the reading/relaxation nook
Helicopter transfers from Maun
Located on an island ; in the wet and rainy seasons it’s only accesible by air. There are a few ‘resident’ elephants that frequent the Fish Eagle Bar, you will sometimes encounter them on a daily basis. The monkeys love our chess pieces, so please ask for them if you’re up for a game, we lock them away safely. Artist easle and other artist’s tools are available from the curio shop for the inner artist in you.
Children over 8 are welcome at our lodges, and our guides tailor their excursions per our clients needs and we will tailor it to make them more child friendly.
A special childrens’ program is not available, but we will go out of our way to create a bespoke experience for children/families visiting our lodge.
• Number of suites: 0
• Number of Luxury rooms: 12 Deluxe Tented Rooms all tented rooms are housed on raised wooden platforms shaded by a traditional African thatch roof. Complete with rim-flow plunge pools, large private decks furnished with easy chairs. Each room features an indoor and walled outdoor shower with a window looking onto the Delta, as well as a large indoor bathtub and a walk-in wardrobe.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 12 •
Restaurants & Bars
• Rates are inclusive of full board ; breakfast, lunch and dinner and tea times along with drinks. (VSOP brands, reserve wines and imported Champagne are additional costs). Restaurants include the main lodge restaurant that serves all meals, and our bar area for snacks and drinks. We have a stand alone Fish Eagle Bar with the best views in Africa and has been called the most romantic bar by the NY Times .
• Kosher Safaris are also available at all Belmond Safari lodges.
• Private plunge pools at each unit
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Lodge buyouts are available and perfect for honeymoons or celebrations
Extra Notable Features
• Fish Eagle Bar, the most romantic bar in Africa by far.
Hotel and Restaurant Awards:
• Conde Naste Traveller Gold List 2016 •AHEAD MEA winner for best design in luxury hospitality (November 2017)
Number of employees