Belmond Savute Elephant Lodge Botswana
Belmond Savute Elephant Lodge
Chobe National Park,
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Christelle Horne. General Manager located in Maun, looking after the general operations of Belmond Safaris as well as the running of all three Belmond Safari lodges in Botswana.
5 Star Luxury Lodge
The lodge is currently closed for a complete refurbishment, to reopen in June 2018.
Belmond Savute Elephant Lodge
History & Story
In the heart of the Chobe National Park, sometimes referred to as the elephant capital of the world, is the Savute – an area that personifies the eternal contrast of Africa.
Perched on the banks of the Savute Channel, the Belmond Savute Elephant Lodge offers a spectacular birds eye view of elephant in their natural habitat. The Savute Channel, one of the greatest mysteries and fascinations of Northern Botswana, is flowing again after nearly 30 years of lying dormant. The Savute is a dramatic area which is home to high concentrations of elephant and lions. Prides up to 40 strong are not uncommon, as are sighting of all the other major predators; the endangered wild dog, leopard, cheetah and the hyena. Savute is also renowned for its excellent birding during the summer months (December through March), as well as being home to some very rare rock paintings drawn by the early San Bushmen, who once inhabited the region.
Belmond Savute Elephant Lodge will reopen on 1st June 2018, following a total rebuild and redesign of the public areas, guest rooms and staff accommodation. Inspired by history’s great explorers, the lodge will be a place to explore and expand horizons, connecting with the natural surroundings and abundant wildlife. The project will be guided by the best sustainable building practices, to ensure we create an exceptional eco-friendly lodge.
The new lodge will feature a luxurious spa, a wildlife viewing hide overlooking the watering hole, and a fire pit with views to the famous Savute Channel.
Date added extensions
Lodge currently closed for refurbishment, and will reopen in June 2018.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Located on the Chobe National Park, the Elephant Capital of the World. A bird lovers haven with over 250 bird species and with the two game drives on offer daily, you may encounter lions, wild dogs, leopards, cheetahs, hyenas as well as rare species of animals, such as roan and sable antelope.
Chobe National Park, Botswana
Traditional outdoor Boma (a traditional dining experience),
20 meter outdoor swimming pool (heated in winter),
morning and evening game drives,
specialist walking safaris,
Visit the cluster of majestic Boabab trees
Helicopter transfers from Maun
Located in the Chobe National Park, also known as the elephant capital of the world.
Children over 8 are welcome at our lodges, and our guides tailor their excursions per our clients needs and we wil tailor it to make them more child friendly.
A special childrens’ program is not available, but we will go out of our way to create a bespoke experience for children/families visiting our lodge.
• Number of suites: 0
• Number of Luxury rooms: 12 Luxury Tented Rooms * note subject to change with rebuild all tented rooms are housed on raised wooden platforms shaded by a traditional African thatch roof. The large decks are furnished with easy chairs and a hammock, ideal for wildlife viewing or enjoying dinner in complete privacy. The interiors are luxuriously appointed with such comforts as an en suite bathroom and a four poster bed complete with mosquito netting
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 12
Restaurants & Bars
Rates are inclusive of full board ; breakfast, lunch and dinner and tea times along with drinks. (VSOP brands, reserve wines and imported Champagne are additional costs). Restaurants include the main lodge restaurant that serves all meals, and our bar area for snacks and drinks and the traditional Boma that offers a dining experience under the stars.
• Spa will be built as part of refurbishment plans
• 20 metre swimming pool
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Lodge buyouts are available and perfect for honeymoons or celebrations. Group dining experience under stars (for buy-out only) and traditional cooking demonstrations (for groups only).
Extra Notable Features
• Private dinners on the privacy of the deck of your room; sundowners under the majestic Boabab trees, Full Day Zebra migration tours on offer(seasonal), Full day safari (subject to availability) and a football game with the locals is a fun activity. (subject to availability).
Number of employees