Elewana Elsa’s Kopje Meru, Kenya
Elewana Elsa’s Kopje Meru
Meru National Park
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
George and Theresa Van Wyck – General Managers
Boutique Luxury Lodge
Elewana Elsa’s Kopje Meru
History & Story
Elewana Elsa’s Kopje Meru was officially opened by Richard Leakey and Virgnia McKenna in July 1999. With talks of degazetting Meru Park to make way for a rice plantation, Elsa’s Kopje was able to secure the future of the park and its wildlife. Built around Mugwhongo Hill overlooking Meru, Elsa’s is one of the most elegant lodges in Africa in one of the most spectacular settings.
In 2015 a soft refurbishment of all the rooms and main areas completed by Larissa Hoops.
Date added extensions
Building of a Family Cottage was completed in early 2015. This cottage has two ensuite bedrooms separated by a spacious lounge area, a wide outside verandah accessible from all rooms, and an inviting outdoor bath.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Elewana Elsa’s Kopje Meru is a very special marriage of warmth and elegance in a beautifully rugged and wild environment. All the cottages and main areas are built around the existing rock features of the kopje. No two rooms are the same. – the only commonality is all enjoy expansive and stunning views over the Meru plains.
The lodge provides a befitting tribute to the lives of George and Joy Adamson, and their lioness Elsa. Guests will find photos, paintings and artefacts dedicated to the extraodinary lives the Adamson’s led, as some of the first true conservationists in Africa.
Meru National Park is a semi-arid landscape sustained by 13 seasonal and permanent rivers. A 21’000 acre rhino sanctuary in the heart of the park provides a rare opportunity to take in the Big 5 in this wild, remote and beautiful area.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Guided bush walks up Mughwango Hill (age restrictions apply to children under 12yrs)
• Day & Evening game drives (pre-dinner)
• Bush breakfast and sundowners
• Line Fishing (Catfish, Tilapia and Barbel)
• Visits to community projects and the local school
• Swimming pool
Named after Elsa the lioness, made famous by George and Joy Adamson’s biographical novel and the film “Born Free”, the lodge is built overlooking the site of George Adamson’s camp at the foot of the hill and in Meru National park, which was the playground of Elsa the lioness.
• Camp and Mughwango Hill guided bush walks (age restrictions for children under 12yrs for Mughwango Hill walks)
• Line Fishing
• School visit – normal term times and at an extra cost
• Babysitting available
• Children’s menu
All of Elewana Elsa’s Kopje Meru’s cottages are built incorporating the natural features of the kopje, the rock formations and trees are an intrinsic part of the architecture. Each cottage is unique in design, and enjoys a perfect vantage point for spectacular views over the Meru plains.
• 6 ensuite Cottages ~ 5 doubles and 1 twin.
• 3 Honeymoon Cottages ~ 2 spacious ensuite doubles with a private decks and outside baths; 1 large triple-level cottage with private sitting room, double ensuite bedroom & a private deck.
• 1 Family Cottage ~ 2 ensuite bedrooms, (1 double, 1 twin), sitting room, and a large private verandah.
• Private House ~ 1 double and 1 twin room (both ensuite), shared sitting room, dining room, verandah and private pool.
Restaurants & Bars
Elewana Elsa’s Kopje Meru has a bar and dining area where breakfast and lunch are served. In the evenings, the tables are chairs are set out on the lawn so dinner can be enjoyed under the stars.
There is a daily set menu which can be tailored to any tastes and requirements. Fresh bread and foccaccia is baked daily, and the fresh salads come from the lodge’s own vegetable garden.
Meals are all included in a stay at Elewana Elsa’s Kopje Meru.
A massage room offers a spectacular view from the massage bed, while a masseuse tends to revitilising your tired muscles.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Elewana Elsa’s Kopje Meru can host weddings/anniversaries/parties for up to 30 people, including all catering and decoration using lanterns and local flowers.
Extra Notable Features
• Elewana Elsa’s Kopje Meru has one of the most picturesque infinity pools in Africa, built into the natural rock features and offering stunning views.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Andrew Harper’s Reader’s Choice Award – Best 20 Safari Lodges in Africa,
• Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence
• Andrew Harper’s Reader’s Choice Award – Best 20 Safari Lodges in Africa
• Gold Eco-rating Certification – Ecotourism Kenya
• Virgin HIP Hotel
Number of employees