Fancourt Hotel South Africa
Montagu Street, George, 6530
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Fisani Mncube- Working in various acclaimed hotels in South Africa eventually led him to Fancourt where he started in the Food and Beverage department working his way up to Hotel Manager.
History & Story
Fancourt has become a global landmark for business, leisure and golfing travel but its gradual expansion can be traced back to the establishment of the Manor House by its first custodian, Henry Fancourt White. The late 1880s was a period of grandeur for Henry White, whose role in the development of the commercial infrastructure around the Montagu Pass led to the establishment of the Blanco House – his esteemed family home and predecessor to the current Manor House. Shortly after his passing, the property was auctioned and sold to his son, Ernest Montagu White, who made extensive improvements to the estate. The regrettably early passing of Montagu due to wild mushroom poisoning, saw the property fall into a state of disrepair until in 1960, Dr Krynauw initiated a renovation process that would recapture the splendour of what is now a national monument.
Expanding on the stature of the Manor House, the estate itself was transformed into a hotel and golfing destination in 1989 under the direction of Andrea and Helene Pieterse. Now, under the ownership of Dr Hasso and Sabine Plattner, the Fancourt estate boasts a contemporary outlook on its early beginnings, with award-winning golf courses and unparalleled service offerings, against the backdrop of the ever-present Outeniqua mountain range.
Henry White’s Restaurant has a new entrance and additional touches – Designer – Jo Pieters of Knysna
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Highly acclaimed and award winning estate, Home to 3 of the Top 15 golf courses in South Africa including the number one ranked course, Guilt free family holidays creating life long memories, In the “Golden Triangle” of authentic experiences and activities along the Garden Route
Fancourt, South Africa’s premier leisure resort is situated in the heart of the Garden Route, 7 km from the George Airport. The resort is superbly landscaped on 613 hectares of lush countryside with the majestic Outeniqua Mountains as the perfect backdrop.
Key sites/activities in the area
Glorious swimming beaches are easily accessible and mountain biking, horse riding, picnics and hikes can be arranged on request. Sightseeing excursions to the picturesque coastal towns of Knysna, Plettenberg Bay and Mossel Bay as well as the historic town of Oudtshoorn are also available.
Home to its very own oasis of sensory bliss – an award-winning spa designed to provide guests with a deeply relaxing experience. The appreciation of good food and wine is regarded almost as highly as the game of golf.
The Fancourt Kidz Club at the Leisure Centre offers fully supervised activities for children aged 3-10. Putting parents’ minds at ease, this facility is managed by a trained and experienced team that is dedicated to taking care of your little ones and engaging them in fun activities including arts and crafts, nature walks and board games. Fancourt provides teens with their fair share of age-appropriate activities in our trendy, laidback Teen Lounge. Designed to provide choice entertainment and leisure, the Teen Lounge is equipped with gaming facilities, table tennis, foosball, and a pool table
- Number of suites: Two 2 bedroom suites, 86 sqm; 53 One bedroom suites, 58 – 70 sqm
Suites with king or twin beds, approximately 54 square metres; separate lounge area and TVs in the bedroom and lounge; All with mini bar, coffee & tea making facilities and writing desk; These suites have views of the gardens, driving range or Outeniqua Mountains; balcony or patio; wifi internet access.
- Number of Luxury rooms: 36 Luxury Rooms – 40 sqm; 24 Classic rooms – 32 sqm
Modern, spacious rooms overlooking the Outeniqua Mountains, Fancourt gardens or golf warm up area; All with TV, mini bar, coffee & tea making facilities and writing desk; patios or balconies and are situated on the ground or first floor; All have wifi internet access; Limited Inter-leading rooms are available on the first and ground floor on request.
- Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 115 total rooms
Restaurants & Bars
- HENRY WHITE’S
Henry White’s restaurant offers a warm and rich classic local culinary heritage with a modern, all-encompassing dining appeal. Promising creative dishes with colourful flavour combinations – as well as impeccable service – Henry White’s is renowned as a dining destination, offering an enchanting night out.
- LA CANTINA
An informal Italian restaurant featuring breakfast & dinner daily. La Cantina offers fresh, Italian fare. Homemade pastas, crisp, thin-based pizzas, and an extensive choice of meat and fish dishes are also available.
Monet’s restaurant is Fancourt’s latest trending sensation offering a café bistro atmosphere overlooking the rolling greens of the Outeniqua golf course with beautiful Outeniqua mountains as the backdrop. Open for dinner during summer
- THE CLUB LOUNGE
The Club Lounge at Fancourt, fondly referred to as the 19th hole, is the destination of choice for golfers on a break or visitors looking to indulge in some club style food.
- The Spa at Fancourt incorporates 11 treatment rooms including a couple’s private treatment room, a hydrotherapy room and a shower room. The treatment rooms have been individually designed to accommodate warmth and a soothing aesthetic to which the power of touch adds the perfect finish.
- Providing a contemporary take on ancient culture, Fancourt’s Roman Bath combines the calming effect of water with the detoxifying potential of heat and includes a blissful Jacuzzi; Our sauna and steam room creates the perfect conditions for melting away tensions, stimulating healthy circulation and soothing tired muscles; In a nod to a time-honoured Roman bathing ritual, the tepidarium houses heated seats that gradually elevate the body’s temperature to improve circulation and promote deep relaxation.
- The Leisure Centre is home to two swimming pools and a state of the art workout gym
Corporate & Celebration Events
- The conference facilities are equipped with modern audio-visual and computer equipment and offer full business services including video conferencing. With 400-seater ballroom, boardroom and numerous breakaway rooms, Fancourt provides you with many venue options to cater for your specific needs.
- Ideal for hosting gala dinners, music concerts, award functions or large scale presentations.
- Three boardrooms are located on the middle level. Three meeting rooms are located on the upper level
Extra Notable Features
- 3 x 18 hole championship golf courses ranked in the top 15 in South Africa. Montagu number 8, Outenqiua number 14 and The Links number 1
- 4 tennis courts, 2 floodlight
- Fishing Dams and bicycle hire
Hotel and restaurant Awards
- Fancourt won South Africa’s Leading Resort in 2019, as voted for by the World Travel Awards
- Luxury Country Estate of the Year in the Western Cape by Luxury Travel Guide for Fancourt
- World Travel Awards, South Africa’s Leading Country House Hotel 2019, The Manor House at Fancourt
- South Africa’s Best Golf Hotel 2017 by the World Golf Awards
- Manor House Boutique Hotel has been awarded the coveted Condé Nast Johannsen’s Best Newcomer in Africa 2018
- South Africa’s Best Golf Hotel 2017 By World Golf Awards
- IAGTO’S Golf Resort of the Year Award 2018
- Golf Digest Magazine Rates Fancourt’s Links Golf Course #1 again and Outeniqua and Montagu Within The ‘Top 15’
- Best International Golf Resort 2018 by Golf Digest
- Luxury Travel Guide Africa & Middle East Awards 2018 – Elegant Luxury Hotel & Golf Resort, Western Cape, South Africa
- Best Hotel Spa by Les Nouvelles Esthétiques 2018
Number of employees