Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Maasai Mara,
Virgin Limited Edition
50/50 joint partnership with Intex Corporation (Gehlot family) in Kenya
Date of Creation
1st August 2013 (opened)
Hotel General Manager
Wilson Odhiambo joined the Mahali Mzuriteam in November 2017 from Singita in Tanzania, where he held the position of Lodge Manager. With over 15 years of experience in the hospitality industry, he brings a wealth of knowledge as well as a passion for delivering guest-focussed service management.
5 star luxury tented safari camp
We continually review all areas of the camp from both a physical aspect and also from an operational perspective, to ensure we offer the best amenitites, facilities, activities and service to our guests. Due to the nature of our location in a conservation area, Mahali Mzuri can sleep a maximum of 24 guests in 12 tented suites, this is unlikely to change – as it is designed to protect the land and nature from over tourism.
History & Story
Mahali Maasai opened in August 2013, having been a conservancy and conservation partner for five years prior to opening. The decision to create Mahali Mzuri came from the inauguration of the Virgin Atlantic flight to Nairobi in 2007 and Sir Richard Branson’s meeting with Jake Greives Cook (Game watchers and Porini camps) and together touring and discussing the Maasai Mara eco system and the need to further protect this land. The location of the camp was selected by the Branson family, together with our General Manager of Ulusaba Karl Langdon. During the time before opening the focus was on building relationships with the Maasai land owners and creating with our partners a conservation programme to expand the Olare Orok conservancy to include Motorogi Conservancy to the north, thereby creating the Olare Motorogi conservancy. This expanded the protected area for the wildlife, migratory herds and big cats. Mahali Mzuri was a newly build camp, the unique design inspired from the arc of a Maasai bow, and the colours specifically chosen to blend into the surrounding nature. The camp has been built with minimal footprint and to leave no long lasting impression on the land, should the camp move.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Mahali Mzuri means ‘beautiful place’ in Swahili, and we hope you agree! Mahali Mzuri is Sir Richard Branson’s Kenyan safari camp located in the world famous Maasai Mara ecosystem and right in the path of the annual Great Migration. The uniquely designed Mahali Mzuri tents sit within the private Olare Motorogi Conservancy which covers an area of 13,500 hectares! Enjoy the excitement of sleeping under canvas, being close to nature, yet with all your create comforts at hand. There are endless opportunities for game viewing, so all you need to sit back and let the wildlife come to you! do is sit back and let the wildlife come to you!covers an area of 13,500 hectares! There are endless opportunities for game viewing, so all you need to do is sit back and let the wildlife come to you!vers an area of 13,500 hectares! There are endless opportunities for game viewing, so all you need to do is sit back and let the wildlife come to you!
Olare Motorogi Conservancy whichforms part of the Maasai Maraeco-system. Being in a private conservancy, we work with our conservancy partners to protect the land and nature from over tourism and leasae the land of Maasai land owners.
To reach us the nearest airstripis Olare Orok, where will we meet guests in our 4×4 vehicles to transfer them 25 minutes to camp.
Key sites/activities in the area
Game viewing in the private Olare Motorogi Conservancy (Maasai Mara)
The Great Migration (June-October)
Hot Air Ballooning
Local market visits
Maasai Village Visits
Mahali Mzuri as part of the OlareMotorogi Conservancy has 52 Maasai Landlords
Each tent is named after the 12 different Maasai tribes.
We are the only camp in the conservancy with a female guide, Betty. She gets rave reviews from our guests.
We welcome children aged six years or older at Mahali Mzuri, as each ‘Little Warrior’ is different we offer a range of tailor-made activities. All children will be given a welcome backpack full of goodies. We have children’s books, games, a TV and DVD player as well as a games console.
We have two tents that can accommodate children in a separate sitting room. Children under the age of 12 are not permitted to sleep in a tent without parental supervision. Children must be under parental supervision at all times at camp and when on game drive.
• Number of suites: 12
Our twelve tented suites are spread along the top of a ridge looking down in to the river valley – located to maximise the views and incredible game viewing opportunities. There are six tents located on either side of the main tent, where the dining tent, bar, guest lounge and swimming pool and spa are located. The furthest tent away from the main guest area is a five minute walk.
Each tent at Mahali Mzuri offers a spacious seating area, en-suite bathroom and large deck tomaximise those amazing views over the plains. All our tents cover approximately 106 square metres including the external decks, and two of the 12 tents can accommodate up to two additional guests on day beds (180cmin length) – these we call Family Tents and are ideal to sleep additional children.
All rooms are equipped with a hairdryer, sunscreen, insect repellent, torches, extra blankets, ponchos,bathrobes, slippers, a complimentary mini-bar, tea and coffee making facilities and hot water bottles. Thebathrooms all have a range of Africology products including shower gel, shampoo and conditioner.
Pocket sockets in Kenya use the British standard 3-pin arrangement so guests visiting from other parts of the world will need an adaptor which is provided in your room. Please note that the current in Kenya is 240 volts.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 12
Restaurants & Bars
• Our chefs have developed numerous pan-African dishes which can be enjoyed in the bush or at the main dining tent at Mahali Mzuri. All meals and drinks, including alcohol and our finest champagne, are included in your stay.
At breakfast a continental buffet will be served with hot dishes available à la carte, and guests typically share tables. Lunch is normally served on the main deck with individual tables and guests can order from the à la carte menu. Dinner could be around a large communal table out in the bush, or if preferred somewhere private just for two!
• Our spa treatment room “Nasaro” is located in a secluded spot near the main tent. We offer eco-friendly treatments using the Africology range of products made from 100% essential oils and natural plant extracts. From facials and massages to those all-important grooming rituals, a whole range of treatments are available from our dedicated therapist.
• Mahali Mzuri’s outdoor heated infinity pool enjoys river valley and wildlife views
• We are delighted to provide fitness equipment on request in a guest tent, such as yoga mats, TRX resistance ropes, exercise balls, skipping rope and a strength set.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Maximum of 24 guests, sharing 12 tented suites.
• As we do not have specific conferencing facilities we are better suited to private celebrations (birthdays, weddings, blessings) or corporate incentives and team building. We would be happy to create a tailor-made programme for any event.
Extra Notable Features
• Maasai Mara National Park (additional cost applies in low season, or if staying less than 3 nights in High Season)
• Local Masaai villages (additional cost applies)
• Private Vehicles for game viewing available (additional cost applies)
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Mahali Mzuri won ‘Favourite Safari Camp’ at the Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards Middle East 2017 & 2016
• Mahali Mzuri’s Nasaro was nominated for ‘Best Safari Spa in Kenya’ at the 2016 World Spa Awards
• Mahali Mzuri was named in the Travel + Leisure It List 2014
Number of employees
64 (on site) plus Virgin Limited Edition Head Office and Regional office teams