Riad Fes – Relais & Chateaux Morocco
Riad Fes – Relais & Chateaux
5, Derb Ben Slimane Zerbtane, Medina, Fes, Morocco
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Harry Leitner, swiss national and alumni of the Ecole Hoteliere de Lausanne in Switzerland. Together with Yvonne, his wife, they have been working in Europe, Middle East, North and South America and have been managing 5* properties for the last 30 years. In Morocco since 2014.
5 star, member of Relais & Châteaux.
Riad Fes caters to tourists and travelers looking for an exclusive and unique place in the Medina of Fes. It is a niche product specializing in delivering a selection of top quality services with added value, in a fine, exclusive, original, quite, safe and friendly environment. Our team identifies our guest’s individual preferences and create an attentive stay with experiences difficult to forget.
Riad Fes – Relais & Chateaux
History & Story
Between 1880 and 1930, following the international trade liberalisation, some prominent citizens of Fez left their town to settle in Western metropolises such as Barcelona, Lyon, Marseille, etc. Their trade activities engendered significant cultural changes not only at the level of our historical city but also at the level of Morocco in general. The layout of houses, the interior design, the dress code and gastronomy developed rapidly and gave birth to a new life style. The Western “contemporary” art combined with the ancestral traditions of Fez and bred new forms of civilization that are clearly reflected in what Riad Fes is today. Ben Slimane, a famous judge and intellectual from Fez, started to rebuild a forsaken neighborhood of the city. He conceded a lot of land to the prominent tradesman Lahlou who laid the foundation of the main building of Riad Fes at the beginning of 1900. Other buildings that date back to 17th and 18th centuries shelter our restaurant and the Prince’s quarters.In 1999, the SEFRIOUI family (architect and hoteliers) purchased progressively the different pavilions of Riad Fes and began their restoration in full respect of Fez traditions and arts. At present, our establishment offers all modern facilities and services of a deluxe hotel in a traditional and comfortable setting. In 2009 Riad Fès joined Relais & Châteaux.
Continuous renewal process of room units: now under review of interiors : Merinide, Boustane and Sultan suites. Seffarine and Andalous rooms.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Riad Fes provides guests with the opportunity to travel back in time and enjoy the splendor and authenticity of the lifestyle of Fassi (Fez’ citizens) nobility. The prestigious history and refined civilization of this Imperial city are reflected in the Riad’s Spanish Moorish architecture combined with a pure Moroccan decor.
Fez has the best preserved old city (Medina) in the Arab world which is listed as a World Heritage Site. Home to exceptional architectural sites, galleries, madrasas and hidden green oases such as Jnan Sbil gardens, coupled with Moroccan hospitality, ensures Fez retains its status as a captivating feast for the senses which entices visitors year-after-year. The hotel is conveniently located in the old medina, but can be easily reached by car, followed by a 4 minutes’ walk thru a garden just by the hotel.
Key sites/activities in the area
- Guided tour of the Medina
- Tour of the ancient walls of Fez
- Tour of the Fes-Meknes region
- Visit to Moulay Yacoub, thermal Spa
- Visits to the ‘Middle-Atlas’ region alternating from the Valley of the Monkeys, hiking around the rivers and springs as well horse-riding through the mountain forests.
Baking classes for the kids
Potery workshops for the kids
31 rooms and suites, including:
7 Standard Rooms: 30-35 sq.m, king or twin bed with luxurious bedding and an en-suite bathroom. Features warm tones and elegant Moroccan interiors; each room is original in its design and layout
12 Deluxe Rooms: 30-36 sq.m, king or twin bed, separate en-suite bathroom with tasteful Moroccan finishes, views of the Andalusian Pavilion
8 Junior Suites: 35-40 sq.m; elegant and spacious suite, king or twin bed with superb bedding, tadelakt bathroom, carved furniture, views of the baroque patios and interior garden
3 Ambassador Suites: 50 sq.m, king or twin bed with luxurious fabrics, hand-crafted furniture, spacious tadelakt bathroom with a separate bathtub and walk-in shower, terrace overlooking either the Andalusian or Baroque patios – each suite offers serenity and privacy
1 Royal Suite: 90 sq.m, the largest and most luxurious of Riad Fès’ suites with king or twin bed, adorned with intricate stucco work and a carved ceiling, spacious bathroom and sitting area, and panoramic views over the city and Atlas Mountains from its own private terrace
Restaurants & Bars
- The chic and cosy 70-seat Restaurant l’Ambre serves refined inventive Moroccan cuisine and Mediterranean specialities. Separate rooms, L’Oriental and Le salon Oriental – provide the ultimate setting for a traditional Moroccan dinner in a Moorish atmosphere. A la carte and half board plan available.
- L’Alcazar Bar is situated by the pool of the Andalusian Patio and serves local and international teas, cocktails and Champagne – ideal for get-togethers
- Wine Bar, situated by the pool, offers drinks and excellent wines from Morocco in charming surrounds. Snacks and homemade tapas are available.
- Panoramic terrace with Rooftop Bar, featuring stunning views of the medina and foothills of the Middle Atlas Mountains.
- 14 meter outdoor swimming pool, located in the heart of the Riad in the Contemporary and sunny patio area
- The Spa by Riad Fès provides a Hammam and a selection of massages and beauty treatments within luxurious and comfortable surrounds.
- Fitness Centre
- Sauna with a Physiotherm Infrared cabin.
Corporate & Celebration Events
- For cocktails, dinners or formal banquets, Riad Fès offers (within its social areas) exceptional indoor and outdoor spaces that can accommodate up to 120 people.
- Possibility to privatize the hotel for special events (weddings and family celebrations)
Extra Notable Features
- Golf : Royal Golf Fes (18 holes), Oued Fes Golf (18 holes), Royal Golf Meknes (60 kms, 9 holes), Michlifen Golf (65 kms, 18 holes).
- Cooking class : workshop (up to 4 persons) in which guests will learn how to prepare an appetizer, a main course and a dessert. At the end of each session, you will taste the dishes during a friendly lunch on the terrace overlooking the Medina of Fez or in the dining room of the Riad.
- Wine tasting: visit to the Meknes region(60 kms). You will explore the incredible Chateau Roslane followed by a tasting of three excellent and great wines
Hotel and restaurant Awards
- TOP 25 BEST HOTELS IN MOROCCO BY TRIPADVISOR 2019
- THE BEST GUESTHOUSE IN THE WORLD BY LUXURY TRAVEL AWARDS IN 2016
Number of employees