Tangalle, Sri Lanka
Boddhi Mawatha, Wella Wathuara
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Pantelis Korovilas
Luxury Boutique Resort
History & Story
Stretching onto a crescent bay, Amanwella’s beach is perhaps the finest on Sri Lanka’s beautiful south coast. Reaching it via a small road through a tropical jungle, Amanwella rests in a lush coconut grove that blends into a golden sand beach with picturesque waves. Inspired by the Tropical Modernist architecture of Sri Lanka’s Geoffrey Bawa, the resort unfolds in minimalist elegance from its red gravel courtyard, manicured gardens and spectacular swimming pool, to its Beach Club at the far end of the bay. Between lie the resort’s freestanding guest suites on a landscaped hillside, each with a private courtyard and plunge pool, along with a terrace with ocean and palm-frond views.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
2.5 hour by car from Bandaranaike International Airport (Colombo). A single-story beachside oasis set in a wild, rugged and remote landscape. With only 30 freestanding spacious suites, each of them with their own private pool and 180-degree views of the coastline. Multiple open-air restaurants, Spa, yoga platform by the beach, library and boutique.
On Sri Lanka’s sun-drenched south coast near the fishing village of Tangalle, you drive 1 km off the main road through a lush jungle, which instantly reveals Amanwella and its incomparable seaside setting.
Key sites/activities in the area
Beyond the resort lies one of the island’s most revered Buddhist Temples – Mulkirigala Rock Temple, which dates back to the 3rd Century AD. Quick access to multiple National Safari Parks – Udawalawe, Yala and Bundala. They offer sights of elephants, leopards, hundreds of migrating bird species, crocodiles and various other wildlife.
The world’s largest mammals, blue whales, are regular visitors to Sri Lanka’s south coast, particularly favoring the krill-rich waters of Mirissa Bay, not far from Amanwella. Boat trips between November and April reveal these gentle giants on their annual migration alongside sperm whales and spinner dolphins.
We provide various children’s activities of all ages to participate, like searching for seashells, mask paintings, kite flying, cooking and mocktail classes and beach volleyball.
Identical in design and layout, Amanwella’s terracotta-roofed suites feature hand-hewn stone walls and terrazzo floors, with floor-to-ceiling glass and lattice panels opening on two sides to a private courtyard, a terrace and a 6 x 4-meter plunge pool. Large sliding wooden screens divide the airy interiors into a combined sleeping and living room and a sumptuous Bathroom. Some of the suites can be connected from the terrace to accommodate larger groups or families. Ocean Pool Suites are located closer to the beach and enjoy magnificent views. Ocean Hill Pool Suites have great views of the ocean and coconut trees. Garden Pool Suites have limited views of the ocean and more coconut grove views.
• 8 – Garden Pool Suites – 100 m2
• 12 – Ocean Hill Pool Suites – 100 m2
• 10 – Ocean Pool Suites – 100 m2
Restaurants & Bars
• The Restaurant – Looking out over the palm-fringed bay from its elevated terrace, the Restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The spacious interior is accessed via manicured gardens and flows onto the open-air, ocean-facing terrace. Provide Sri Lankan traditional cuisine, along with Mediterranean dishes and fresh seafood.
• Lounge Bar – Open from 10am to 11pm daily for lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and drinks. This airy, informal venue shares a terrace with the Restaurant and claims the same panoramic views of the pool, beach and Indian Ocean.
• Beach Club – Set towards the western end of the beach and shaded by coconut palms, the open-sided Beach Club offers feet-in-the-sand dining at its best. Open for casual lunches, romantic private dinners and beach BBQs and fresh seafood.
• A range of massages and facials can be enjoyed in the privacy of your Suite, on the beach or in our Spa Suites.
• Open-air yoga platform on the beach with Private yoga and personal training sessions.
• Meditation with a monk at Amanwella, a local temple or the Buddhist Centre.
• 47-metres swimming pool with serene sea views.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• With its picture-postcard beach, magical sunsets and lush palm-fringed grounds, Amanwella is a dream location for a tropical wedding, corporate events, celebrating a milestone birthday, an anniversary or a family reunion. Multiple venues can host the event both intimate and grand, from convivial beach barbecues to more formal setting with panoramic Indian ocean views. Amanwella offers a host of venues both indoor and out for events of every kind. Its striking architecture inspired by Geoffrey Bawa’s Tropical Modernism means that almost every corner reveals another photogenic setting.
• By reserving a minimum of 15 to 23 rooms depending on the time of the year, we can keep the entire resort exclusively to host your event.
Extra Notable Features
• Library – Stocked with a variety of reference books on Sri Lanka, along with novels, magazines, newspapers and games.
• Boutique – Offers a rich selection of traditional handicrafts, from jewelry to textiles and antiques.
• Safaris to Sanctuaries, Mulkirigala Rock Temple Tour, Snorkeling and surfing, Village Dinning experience, Lagoon Floating Lounge experience, Whale Watching, Cooking Class at the Beach, Pottery Village tour, can all be arranged at the resort.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
• Gold List 2015 – CONDE NAST TRAVELER, USA – Top Hotels in the World
• 5 of the Best Places to Stay in Sri Lanka 2014 – HUFFINGTONPOST.COM – Top 5 List
Number of employees