Bawah Reserve, Indonesia
1 Desai Kiabu, Siantan Selatan,
Riau Anambas, 29791
Date of Creation
Opened 1st August 2017
Hotel General Manager
Raymond Saja – An innovative hotelier with more than fifteen years of success within international luxury hotel operations affiliated with the Leading Hotels of the World; proven achievements developing resort concepts and operations in Asia, Europe, Australia, and the USA.
Raymond has fabulous experience in Pre-openings, Boutique resort and beach club concept, development, and operations, Building inspired, cohesive and accomplished cross-cultural teams and Providing tailored, unique and authentic experiences.
Bawah Reserve is a luxury resort. We have an environmentally sensitive approach to all our operations.
The Bawah Anambas foundation has also been created to work Above, below and well beyond into our neighbouring communities.
Previously uninhabited, Bawah is a marine conservation area where ‘nature provides its true luxury’ across 6 pristine islands, 3 crystal clear lagoonsand 13 beaches. Bawah allows a maximum of 70 guests at any one time, with 35 eco-designed suites and overwater bungalows providing guests with a private oasis amongst spectacular scenery – enriched with Bawah’s holistic and personalised approach to service.
Bawah Reserve is developed as an ecologically sound destination with the preservation of the island’s natural beauty a priority;
History & Story
- 6 Islands, 3 Lagoons, 13 Beaches. Bawah Reserve rests in sheltered carefree seclusion 160 nautical miles (300km) northeast of Singapore in Indonesia’s remote Anambas Archipelago. Surrounded by clear turquoise waters, blue lagoons and coral reefs, this pristine and previously uninhabited marine conservation area caters to outdoor adventurers with an appetite for indulgence as well as paradise seekers looking for relaxation. Bawah offers the true meaning of all-inclusive luxury, by being the only retreat in Asia to include all spa treatments, guest experiences and transport via its new amphibious seaplane.
- Journey: No arrival to an island is as thrilling as via seaplane. Your journey starts in Singapore, where you will be collected from your hotel, airport or residence by our chauffeur. A travel coordinator will escort you by ferry to Batam International Airport, where you will board our private seaplane for an 80 minute journey, landing on Bawah Reserve’s spectacular lagoon in front of your suite, just in time for a gourmet lunch.
- Package: Every detail is taken care of. From your spectacular seaplane journey to endless experiences, and personalised dining, everything is included. Your Bawah package has been carefully curated to ensure that everything is covered. From your journey, to kayaking and snorkeling adventures, treks through the forest and hands-on cooking classes; from gourmet suppers, picnics on the beach and unlimited wellness treatments, everything is taken care of. All you need to do is enjoy.
- Sustainable luxury: We are committed to setting an example for responsible and sustainable tourism. Our environmentally sensitive approach extends across all operations, from our permaculture to our products: ocean-friendly sun cream, eco-friendly laundry detergent, and no plastic bottles. All of our waste is recycled; all paper is mulched; food waste is composted, and crushed glass is used in the water filtering process. The only land vehicles are our electric buggies and we even have 2 solar powered boats! The Resort is part of the Bawah Anambas Foundation, created to channel funds back into the land, the sea and the local community.
New opening – Renowned Singapore Architect -Sim Boon Yang, founding Partner & Director of Eco-Id
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Bawah Reserve has been developed to inspire guests to get reacquainted with their ‘true nature’ by inviting them to explore the islands and leave with a renewed sense of purpose. Immersing in experiences harmonious with nature, explorers can encounter flourishing species of corals, turtles and iridescent schools of fish, or step foot in Bawah’s primary forest that has never been cut or burnt.
Anambas Islands – about 150 miles NE of Singapore – Bawah is not just a new resort – it is a new destination in the world
The Anambas Archipelago is 295 islands were only 19 are inhabited and fishing is the primary industry – Bawah is the first hotel / resort in the region and is a pioneer in opening this region to the explorer travellers.
Key sites/activities in the area
Within Bawah’s crystal clear waters, all are welcome to experience a variety of water activities or for those wanting to slow down their time, Bawah’s beach-fronted infinity pool invites a cool, gentle dip.
Discover one of the 13 beaches around the 6 desert islands and switch off.
Hike into virgin rainforest and when at 150 metres above the lagoon stop and just admire the beauty of the variety of colours created by the coral, depths of the water and jungle around you.
Bawah is a rugged island – lot of steps and various wildness – perfect if the kids are explorers and into the outdoor world and adore the sea and all that one finds below ( coral, fish etc ) – no tvs and limited internet in rooms – rooms are designed primarily for 2 pax– kids are welcome but we recommend them to be old enough to sleep in separate bedroom to parents– the young ones needing to be in parents room we can add an extra bed in the overwater bungalows – however we have to remove the safari chairs and table to give space – all rooms are elevated and our balconies and verandahs have simple.
• Number of suites: 35
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 35
11 Overwater Bungalows 105 sq metres – 6 on east and 5 on west
19 Beach Front Suites 70 sq metres
3 Garden Suites 70 sq metres
2 Deluxe One Bedroom Suites 180 sq metres
Bawah’s 35 eco-designed suites are enveloped in lush scenery, with 19 Beach Suites offering breathtaking sea views, 2 Deluxe One Bedroom Suites with separate tented living / dining room and private sundeck, 11 Over Water Bungalows giving stunning dawn to dusk vistas and 3 Garden Suites shrouded by idyllic, natural scenes. Each accommodation features a beautifully appointed bedroom, spacious open air bathroom and a relaxing outdoor living area with incredible views across the lagoon.
Restaurants & Bars
The Tree Top restaurant at Bawah serves bespoke Asian-fusion cuisine with locally-grown ingredients alongside a curated drinks menu to showcase authentic flavours. The lower deck of the restaurant offers an alternative relaxation spot for diners to relax as they take in spectacular views of the ocean.
Guests can also unwind with bespoke cocktails at the Grouper Bar, Jules Verne Bar, and Boat House Bar. These uniquely-themed bars are situated at different zones on Bawah, each offering beautiful and distinctive sights of the surrounding islands.
Boat House is also open for breakfast and lunch daily and does themed BBQ nights – dining with toes in the sand looking out over the lagoon and sand bar.
Bawah’s holistic wellness centre, Aura, houses a spa and a yoga pavilion, providing complete mind and body programmes designed to enlighten the senses so one can explore, or relax, with a rejuvenated state of mind. Aura will also offer personalised yoga, pilates, meditation, and reiki sessions from sunrise to sunset.
Corporate & Celebration Events
In addition, Bawah houses a wood-panelled Library up in the tree tops, where a diverse collection of natural history, architecture, classic literature, maps and guidebooks are available for literary lovers to browse and indulge in.
Library can be used as a meeting room.
Bawah is perfect for corporate retreats of senior management – small groups of 10 best.
Extra Notable Features
Yoga Pilates and Mediation classes
All wellness is included in room rate
Cooking & cocktail classes possible
Star gazing – open air cinema on the beach
Hotel and restaurant Awards
Tatler Awards – best opening 2017
Number of employees