COMO Uma Punakha Bhutan
COMO Uma Punakha
Botokha Kabesa Punakha,
COMO Hotels and Resorts
Date of Creation
15th September 2012
Hotel General Manager
Ms. Kelley Ritchie
5 Star Luxury
COMO Uma Punakha
History & Story
COMO Uma Bhutan — comprised of two award-winning lodges, COMO Uma Punakha and COMO Uma Paro — takes guests to the heart of the ethereal Himalayan Kingdom. Stays encompass adventure itineraries and cultural visits led by English- speaking Bhutanese guides, as well as nurturing COMO Shambhala therapies, and nutritious cuisine using local ingredients.
Intimate lodge of 11 keys overlooking Mochu River and Paddy fields.
Key sites/activities in the area
– Archery, Khuru, Cycling, Cooking class. Khamsum Yulley hike
– Cultural and special interest tours – visiting Thimphu, Punakha, temples and museums as well as customised excursions into Central and Eastern Bhutan
– Guided day walks – exploring the Paro, Thimphu or Punakha Valleys and their cultural highlights with English-speaking Bhutanese guides
– Mountain biking at COMO Uma Paro – tours ranging from gentle downhill runs to more challenging routes
– White- water rafting on the Mo Chhu river and past the Punakha Dzong at COMO Uma Punakha
• Number of Luxury rooms: 2
– One Bedroom Villa and COMO Villa
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 10 Keys
– 8 Valley View Rooms (27–34sq m/ 291-366sq ft): Valley View Rooms are light and airy with king- size or twin beds, sheesham-wood furniture and bright wall paintings by local artisans. These rooms also have enough space for a comfortable lounge area, deep bathtubs and a separate shower.
– 1 One Bedroom Villa (51sq m/ 549sq ft; outdoor terrace: 18sq m/ 194sq ft): This one-bedroom standalone villa with a separate living room, dressing room and bathroom offers extremely spacious accommodation. The villa has French windows opening up to the valley view from the bedroom. Outside, there is a private glade, abundant with flowers.
– 1 COMO Villa (90sq m/ 969sq ft; outdoor terrace: 40sq m/ 431sq ft): The COMO two-bedroom villa has a large living and dining area opening on to a panoramic sweep of the Punakha Valley. Two double bedrooms flank each side, affording dramatic views from the floor- to-ceiling windows and the large outdoor terrace. Interiors feature Bhutanese design and understated comfort. In the bedrooms, luxurious Indian cotton bedcovers have hand-stitched patterns paying homage to Bhutan’s Buddhist culture and colours, while hand- knotted rugs come from nearby Nepal. The COMO Villa sits within its own glade planted with azaleas, rhododendrons, camellias and hydrangeas.
Restaurants & Bars
– Bukhari Restaurant: Named after the traditional Bhutanese fireplace, menus are based on seasonal, local produce with western influences.
– Uma Bar: Offering all-day dining and a selection of fine wines, cocktails and healthy juices. In-Room Dining: Available between 7.00am and 10.00pm.
– COMO Shambhala Menu: Healthful cuisine rich in living enzymes, vitamins and minerals, raw food and predominantly vegetarian selections, available at Bukhari and from the in- room dining menu.
COMO Shambhala Retreat at COMO Uma Punakha offers a range of holistic, Asian- inspired treatments including signature massages, facials and body therapies. COMO Shambhala Retreat is nestled in the hush of a woodland glade near to the hotel and commands far-reaching valley views.
– Two treatment rooms Hot-stone bath house
– Asian- inspired holistic therapies developed by COMO Shambhala, including reflexology, massage and facials
Extra Notable Features
COMO Shambhala Yoga class (daily complimentary class) Cooking class
Hotel and restaurant Awards
1. Condé Nast Traveler – USA Readers’ Choice Awards 2018
– COMO Uma Punakha is voted The Best Hotel in Asia
– COMO Uma Paro is voted 2nd Best Hotel in Asia
2. Condé Nast Traveler – USA Readers’ Choice Awards 2017
– COMO Uma Punakha named #1 Hotel/Resort in Bhutan
– COMO Uma Punakha named #3 Hotel in the list of the Asia’s Top 25 hotels
– COMO Uma Paro named #16 Hotel in the list of the Asia’s Top 25 hotels
– COMO Uma Punakha named #41 Hotel in the list of the world’s Top 50 hotels
1. Condé Nast Traveller Readers’ Travel Awards 2012
Best Hotel In Asia and the Indian Subcontinent
2. Travel + Leisure World’s best Awards 2012
Best Hotel in Bhutan
3. Condé Nast Traveller readers’ Awards 2011
Best Overseas Leisure Hotels in Asia and the Indian Subcontinent
4. Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards 2011
Top Resorts in Asia
5. British Tatler Magazine 2011
101 Best Hotels in the World
6. Condé Nast Traveller 2008
The Gold List 2008: best for Location
7. Robb Report 2007
The World’s 100 Ultimate Escapes
Number of employees