Eichardt’s Private Hotel
Marine Parade, Queenstown,
Imperium Luxury Collection
Privately owned by Imperium Capital Group – owner Andrew & Sarah Cox.
1866– fully rebuilt 2001
Group General Manager for the Imperium Luxury Collection including Eichardt’s and The Spire Hotel in Queenstown. A New Zealander, James has worked with the Oberoi and Rydges groups in Melbourne Australia.
5 star boutique luxury property. SLH
Eichardt’s was born as a result of the rich vein of gold, which drew many prospectors, opportunists and downright optimists from around the globe to the shores of Lake Wakatipu.
The quest for pastoral land brought William Rees to the shores of Lake Wakatipu in 1859 when he built a homestead on the lakefront and erected a woolshed on the site now occupied by Eichardt’s Hotel.
When gold was discovered in the nearby Shotover River, Rees found himself at the centre of a gold rush – his homestead declared an official goldfield and the main business area developed around the station. The entrepreneurial Rees quickly turned to the hotel keeping business, the woolshed was given a wooden façade and turned into a hotel and named the Queen’s Arms.
In early 1866, Rees entered into partnership with Albert Eichardt who went on to become the sole proprietor of the hotel by 1869. Eichardt renamed the hotel Eichardt’s Queen’s Arms Hotel, but during his time there, it came to be known simply as Eichardt’s Private Hotel where he catered mostly for tourists as the tenor of the town evolved from a mining settlement to something more permanent.
A huge flood in 1999 threatened the hotel’s existence and led to the fully rebuilt interior and bar by renowned designer Virgina Fisher and the hotel reopened in 2001.
Eichardt’s today accommodates discerning travelers from around the globe.
Additional suites (2) and luxury Penthouse to be added (May 2016) along with Flagship restaurant. Design to compliment the Virgina Fisher design.
May 2016 TBC.
Personalised service, outstanding food & beverage (house made ‘everything’, including the turndown chocolates and bedside cookies!
Absolute Lakefront, downtown Queenstown.
Queenstown Bay, key dining and shopping precinct.
Originally a woolshed until the gold rush of mid 1860s created demand for a hotel.
Number of rooms in all: 13
• 5 x Lake View Suites – stunning outlooks, Opossum fur throws. Fireplace,
• 2 x Mountain View Suites – private balconies, Opossum fur throws. Fireplace,
• 4 x Lakefront Apartment Suites – balconies or terraces, absolute lakefront. Fireplace,
• 1 x Residence – 3 bedroom villa property removed from the main hotel. Stunning views, designer kitchen
• 1 x Penthouse – 2 bedroom rooftop apartment, huge terrace with hot tub, private chef, butler service, car and driver. New Zealand’s premier hotel suite
• The Grille. Will Eaglesfield. Modern NZ/European cusine, stunning views, fresh and local
• Eichardt’s Bar. Will Eaglesfield. Tapas style dining – modern New Zealand cuisine sourced locally.
• All tarifs include breakfast and evening cocktail.
• World Ski Awards, NZ Best Luxury Boutiqe Ski Hotel.
• 2014 & 2013World Ski Awards, NZ Best luxury boutiqe Ski Hotel.
• HM Magazine (Australia industry publication) Best New Zealand Hotel.