LAUCALA ISLAND FIJI
P.O. Box 11479, Nadi Airport
Laucala Island Resort Limited
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Michael & Luciana Nijdam
5-star Luxury – LHW, Virtuoso, Fine Hotels & Resorts, AMEX
The architectural design of Laucala Private Island reflects a seamless transition between built areas and the untouched beauty of this private tropical island. Based on traditional Fijian building techniques, the resort’s construction utilized local timber, thatch and stone and integrated the outdoor and indoor living spaces to provide guests with the luxury of total privacy and exclusivity. Each villa, individually named after a certain characteristic of its natural setting, is complemented by unique bespoke pieces such as jelly fish chandeliers with silk shades, custom made hand-knotted rugs, magimagi decorated beams, Fijian artifacts and amenities to name a few. Each of these innovative and memorable design pieces were meticulously created using local, natural, and sustainable materials that generate an unforgettable sense of place reflecting the Pacific Ocean and the culture, flora and fauna of Fiji.
History & Story
Laucala Private Island was one of a few islands sold to early European settlers in the late 1800s by the 8th Paramount Chief (he ‘Tui Cakau’) of the Cakaudrove Province; Mr John Rosa was the first owner of Laucala in 1869. The island comprised over 3000 acres, at the time over 600 of which were dedicated to a model copra plantation. Cattle, pigs, poultry and a variety of crops were also reared and grown on the island. In 1972 publishing magnate Malcolm Forbes purchased the island and upon his death in 1990 it remained in the Forbes estate until, in 2003, Mr Dietrich Mateschitz acquired the island. Construction began in 2005 and Laucala Private Island opened in December 2008.
Since then, rigorous and regular protocols for restoration and renovations of the island, upgrading of the villas and the integration of sustainable practices have been at the forefront in keeping with Laucala’s commitment to nature, Fiji’s rich and diverse culture, and our unique location in the Pacific Ocean. This philosophy encompasses the whole island, growing our own organic vegetables and rearing of livestock including Wagyu cattle, caring for all facets of our land and sea environment, hand-making all our guest amenities using the island’s natural and abundant resources.
All villas and resort facilities underwent major maintenance works from March to November 2020 as well as a soft refurbishment in keeping with the original interior design by Lynne Hunt (London).
Main Strengths, Special Touch
25 spacious villas with their own swimming pool where guests can enjoy complete privacy, day and night private airport suitable for all aircraft with 40 MTOW, a David McLay Kidd designed 18-hole Championship golf course, a wellness spa, 25 marine vessel fleet and extensive land and sea activities, 5 restaurants and bars supported by our own hydroponic farms and horse-back ride around the island or on the beach, a cascading lagoon pool and lap pool with glass front in the centre of the resort, and a dedicated team ensuring every guest’s need is gracefully attended to. Some of Laucala Private Island’s special touches include meet and greet service with express airport customs clearance, champagne and welcome massage on arrival, fresh tropical fruit basket and cakes daily, and a Tau to ensure each stay is totally bespoke.
In the northern part of Fiji (Cakaudrove Province) lying east of Thurston Point on the island of Taveuni, known as the Garden Island of Fiji, and also near Qamea Island and Matagi Island and the Ring Gold Islands.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Our own cultural village where guests experience traditional dance performances, kava ceremonies and local cuisine such as lovo
• Explore numerous soft coral dive sites, surf spots, village tours, guided tours and hikes around Laucala to see old village sites and observe our wildlife and natural volcanic landscape
• Climb to the Summit Cross, highest point on the island for unparalleled views of our neighbouring island
• Enjoy the many water sport activities on offer including visits to Rainbow Reef
• Take a tour of our livestock and hydroponic farms and do horse rides around the island or on the beach
• Laucala Private Island is Fiji’s largest foreign investment tourism development project
•The highest point on the island is 268 metres above sea level
• It is home to a number of rare birds found only in the tropical canopies of the northern parts of Fiji such as the Orange or Flame Dove, blue Kingfisher, green collared Lory and purple Swamp hens
• We have the biggest lagoon pool in the Southern Hemisphere
We also cater to families and provide a kids club and nanny service. Kids age range from 0-12 years.
• Number of Luxury villas: 25
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 25 one, two and three bedroom villas
• One bedroom villa – total private space ranges from 1500 to 4500 sqm
• Two bedroom villa – total private space ranges from 2000 to 5500 sqm
• Three bedroom villa – total private space ranges from 10,000 to 45,000 sqm
• Plantation Villas are incorporated into the old coconut plantation positioned on a private beach area. Each of the (6) one-bedroom villas, (4) two-bedroom villas and (1) three-bedroom villa offer their own pool, outdoor and indoor bathtubs, sundecks, yoga and massage platforms, and indoor or al fresco dining and living.
• Plateau Villas are situated on Nawi Mountain, offering unforgettable views out to sea and across the neighbouring islands. The open-air design plans for (3) one-bedroom villas and (1) two-bedroom villa unify the boundaries between the interior and exterior areas, providing an exceptionally secluded location along the island’s ridge.
• Seagrass Villas are discreetly nestled under the opulent green canopy of Seagrass Bay’s undulating coastline, ideal for nature lovers in each of the (4) one-bedroom villas, (2) two-bedroom villas and (1) three-bedroom villa.
• The Overwater Villa is a two-bedroom on stilts villa that appears to float above the emerald-green bay. All vast outdoor spaces are over and have direct access to the ocean, its pool is carved on the rocks and include a naturally formed cascade.
• The Peninsula Villa is perched on a completely private and secluded promontory and boasts its own private beach, state-of-the-art finishing kitchen for private dining, spacious living areas, two pools, yoga and dining pavilions, and unparalleled views of Laucala Bay and neighbouring islands as well as spectacular sunsets.
• The Hilltop Villa situated a top the high green hills of the island with extensive views of the outer reefs, a unique atmosphere for couples, families, or small parties. The main villa features a master bedroom, lounge, dining room, library, outdoor pavilions, cascade and lap pools, and two one-bedroom guest villas which also feature their own private pool and pavilions, and are serviced by its own team including culinary.
All villas include air-conditioning, 24hr in-villa dining, fully stocked beverage and health bars, daily laundry, electric buggy, private pool, yoga deck, satellite TV and in-house movie channels in bedroom and lounge, iPod and iPhone docking station, Bose home entertainment system, wireless internet, one complimentary 60 minutes’ massage per adult, hair dryer, island-made bathroom amenities and electronic safe.
Included in the villa rate are all meals, house wines, champagnes and spirits, inner reef water sport activities and land activities, cooking classes, kids club, gym and fitness classes and spa classes.
Restaurants & Bars
Laucala Private Island’s culinary options range from BBQ dinners on your private beach, pic-nics in the wilderness, fine tasting menus in the Plantation House, authentic Asian cuisine and teppanyaki in the Seagrass Restaurant, sundown cocktails and chill atmosphere in the Rock Lounge, avant-garde Pacific style tapas at the Pool Bar and light meals at the Beach Bar all accompanied by a superbly stocked house wines and premium wines cellars.
• Plantation House Bar & Restaurant, located in the traditional colonial plantation house with a wrap-around veranda, serves degustation or à la carte fine dining experiences that incorporate the island’s and Fiji’s finest fresh produce for a unique gourmet journey coupled with exceptional wines featuring older vintages and “New World” options. Cooking classes and show kitchen are also available upon request.
• Seagrass Lounge & Restaurant serves traditional Thai and Asian fusion cuisine as well as sushi, has a private Teppanyaki pavilion and a private dining pavilion
• The Beach Bar offers barefoot dining of freshly caught and barbecued fish, wood-fired pizzas, as well as wok dishes.
• The Pool Bar provides tapas with a Fijian twist, tropical health drinks and other light, Mediterranean inspired fare
• Rock Lounge overlooks Seagrass and Laucala Bays and is designed to chill-out and is the place for sunset drinks and finger-food.
Our culinary team is expertly led by our Executive Chef, Daniel Boller, whose passion and commitment for the freshest ingredients are noticeable in each and every dish.
Our wellness spa features four private single and couple treatment suites with shower and changing rooms, outdoor decks with open-air bathtubs, gardens with sweeping views out to the open sea, Vichy and steam showers. All treatments and spa amenities are carefully crafted from island flowers and herbs, freshly pressed organic coconut oil, Pacific sea salt and other natural ingredients.
In addition to each villa’s private pool, Laucala Private Island also has a massive sand lagoon and lap pool in the centre of the resort, a fully equipped gym and fitness centre, and coached yoga sessions on request.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Exclusive buy-out EVENTS
The island can be booked for exclusive use and we can accommodate private jets, customs and immigration clearance on-site.
Number of employees