Split Apple Retreat Abel Tasman National Park, New Zealand
Split Apple Retreat
195 Tokongawa Drive, RD2 Motueka Tasman 7197
Date of Creation
Opened December 2009
Hotel General Manager
Luxury Spa & Gastronomic Retreat
To combine the epitome of understated Asian elegant design and luxurious appointments with gourmet Asian-Mediterranean fusion cuisine, but with every ingredient making a positive contribution to health and wellness.
SPLIT APPLE RETREAT
History & Story
Lee Nelson, a retired physician whose interest is nutritional and longevity medicine and his wife, Anne Pen Lee, a culinary artist, decided to combine their talents and create the Split Apple Retreat. Opened in December 2009, it combines Zen-like elegance and gardens with the latest in high-tech comfort. It also houses an extensive collection of original Japanese and Southeast Asian art and antiques for the enjoyment of its guests.
Built on a cliff that extends to the ocean, the 180-degree views from each room are breathtaking. Split Apple is the ultimate retreat- no noise pollution and on the border of the Abel Tasman National Park, every element was designed for relaxation and rejuvenation in luxury and with exclusivity.
Each of Split Apple’s 3 guest suites have 2 private decks with surrounding gardens overlooking the sea. They are large and beautifully appointed either with double sinks and double Rainmaker showers and a huge Japanese-style polished granite tub overlooking the ocean (Fuji and Lotus Suites), or with a colour therapy shower and detached bathtub in a 95 square meter split level suite (Rainbow Suite).
Facilities include a saltwater infinity swimming pool with views over the Tasman Sea, private paths to 2 beaches, a Japanese spa bath, detoxifying Far-infrared sauna, steam room, gym, massage treatment room, outdoor shower, and an 8-seat theatre.
The biggest point of difference between Split Apple and virtually everywhere else is the cuisine. Pen and Lee have been together for over 20 years, and during this time, Pen, a trained chef, has learned to exclusively incorporate healthy ingredients into delectable, mouth-watering recipes which guests literally rave over. It takes the best features of Asian and Mediterranean cuisines and marries them into the most naturally flavourful culinary creations. Pen and Lee have written The Split Apple Thoughtful Food Cookbook, which not only elucidates the science of healthful eating, but provides many gourmet recipes as well. Cooking lessons are available.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• The cuisine- Exceptional, beautifully presented, gourmet meals, yet every ingredient is selected for its positive contribution to health and wellness.
• Outstanding design, location, facilities, and service.
• Intimate, nurturing, environment that greatly facilitates relaxation and rejuvenation
• In-house retired physician who is an expert in nutrition and wellness
On the edge of the Abel Tasman National Park, New Zealand’s smallest but most visited National Park.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Split Apple Rock
• Boat trips into the Park for extensive oceanfront walks
• Hiking and scenic heli-hikes
• Sea kayaking
• Swimming with the seals Fishing
• Fly fishing and ocean fishing
• Sky Diving
• Wind Surfing
• Wine Tours Museum of Wearable Art and Classic Car Museum
• Many art galleries, glass blowing, and craft shops and artisans
• Nelson Town and Cathedral
Split Apple Rock is 120 million years old and was probably carried to its current position by a glacier that melted. Its quartz center is surrounded by granite. Over millions of years, pressure from expansion of the quartz from heat caused this huge rock to split in half, like a split apple. Amazing!
Sorry, no children age 12 or under are accommodated.
• 3 suites all with Superking-size beds with pillow-top mattresses, 42 inch flat-screen TVs with surround sound, and 2 private decks with gardens for each suite. Two have Japanese-style baths; one Western detached bath and shower. All suites have 180-degree ocean views. Those with Japanese baths have sweeping ocean views from the bathtub as well. Very private and exclusive. Room sizes:
• Fuji: 63 square meters (Japanese-style bath; double Rainmaker showers)
• Lotus: 79 square meters (Japanese-style bath; double Rainmaker showers)
• Rainbow: 95 square meters split level suite (Western detached bath and colour therapy Hans Grohe Rainmaker shower)
• Complimentary WIFI throughout the Retreat
• Three gourmet meals are provided daily with the exception of lunch on arrival and departure days.
• Complimentary pre-dinner beer, wine, and a selection of cocktails are provided, as well as selected premium New Zealand wines with the dinner service.
Restaurants & Bars
Chef Pen is a culinary artist. Dishes are presented as works of art bursting with flavour and goodness. Menus feature low glycemic index foods, no added sugar, and very limited dairy, including a very large variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables, fish, seafood, grass-fed, organic lamb, beef, and venison, and free-range poultry. Guests are requested to fill out a provided Food Questionnaire so that Chef Pen can create dishes particular suited to guests’ tastes. Style is Asian-Mediterranean fusion. Food at Split Apple Retreat is unique and, according to our guest, some of the best you’ll experience anywhere.
• Infinity saltwater swimming pool
• FAR-infrared sauna Steam room
• Deep tissue and Thai massage; aroma-touch massage
• Acupuncture and Cranio-sacral therapy available
• Reiki therapy available
Corporate & Celebration Events
The ideal place for honeymooners! We see many and provide some special surprises.
Extra Notable Features
• There is an 8-seat theatre with reclining leather seats for watching movies and sporting events. We also offer a complimentary high-tech brain entrainment meditation that meditates you! No experience necessary to experience a deep, meditational state.
• Thoughtful food gourmet cooking classes available on request
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
• Winner 2017 Condenast Johansen Award for Excellence as « The Best Destination Spa »
• Winner 2015 Condenast Johansen Award for Excellence as « The Best Destination Spa »
• Winner 2014 Spafinder Wellness Travel Award for best Spa in New Zealand
• 2010-Winner of award for Best Residential Architecture South Island of New Zealand
Number of employees