The Datai Langkawi Malaysia
The Datai Langkawi
Jalan Teluk Datai, 07000, Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia
The Datai Langkawi is managed by Themed Attractions Resorts and Hotels Sdn. Bhd., an investment holding company established by Khazanah National Berhad- Malaysian Government’s strategic investment fund.
Date of Creation
29 October 1993
Hotel General Manager
Arnaud Girodon, General Manager of The Datai Langkawi joined the resort in 2014, bringing with him nearly 20 years of experience. Arnaud has experience managing luxury hotels in various countries including Dubai, Thailand, and Vietnam.
5-star Luxury ; LHW
HOTEL The Datai Langkawi
History & Story
The Datai Langkawi opened in October 1993, setting a new standard of luxury and Asian-inspired design, and quickly became one of the world’s most sought-after and award-winning hideaway resorts. Located on the north western tip of the lush tropical island of Langkawi off the coast of West Malaysia, The Datai is truly an oasis of relaxation and tranquillity surrounded by centuries-old virgin rainforest with a private footpath leading to an idyllic white sand beach, swimming pool and spa, and nearby golf course.
Designed by world renowned Australian architect Kerry Hill in collaboration with interior architect Didier Lefort, The Datai was elegantly built to blend with its tropical forest surrounding along with Malaysian architecture in mind.
The Datai Langkawi has just re-opened following a year-long renovation overseen by designer Didier Lefort. All 121 guestrooms, suites and villas have been fully restored, in addition to the construction of a dedicated Nature Centre; additional spa pavilions; a refreshed retail space; and a Health Club by the beach as well as an overall enhancement of the landscaping.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
– Nestled in the heart of a 10-million-year-old rainforest.
– Datai Bay is rated one of the top 10 beaches in the world by National Geographic.
Located on the north western tip of Langkawi, Malaysia.
Key sites/activities in the area
– Panorama Sky Cab & Sky Bridge
– Kubang Badak Mangrove Tour
– New dedicated Nature Centre, featuring a host of nature immersion activities.
– Mani:pedi:cure studio by Bastien Gonzalez and energy-tailored facials from PHYTO 5.
– Mini bar inclusive of soft drinks, juices, local beer and snacks – across all room categories.
The Datai does not have a dedicated Kids Club. We do however offer a range of nature activities for our young explorers. Toddlers can make use of our new wading pool, under the supervision of their parents, and children of all ages can use the beachside family pool.
Total of 121 rooms/keys
3 room categories:
– Canopy Deluxe (40 units / 63 sq m)
– Canopy Premium (14 units / 63 sq m)
– Canopy Suite (11 units / 125 sq m)
– The Datai Suite – 2 Bedroom (1 unit / 378 sq m)
– Rainforest Villa (32 units / 123 sq m)
– Rainforest Pool Villa (8 units / 175 sq m)
– The Datai Estate- 5 bedrooms (1 unit / 3500 sq m)
– 1 Bedroom Beach villa (13 units / 350 sq m)
– 2 Bedroom Beach villa (1 unit / 750 sq m)
All rooms, suites and villas are furnished with modern facilities and luxury tailor-made amenities in keeping with overall resort sustainability. Mini bars inclusive of soft drinks, local beer and snacks is complimentary across all categories. Beach Villa, Datai Suite and Datai Estate guests benefit from with 24h butler service, private breakfast, complimentary luxury airport transfers and daily afternoon tea.
Restaurants & Bars
– The Dining Room: Serving daily breakfast and lunch. At night transforms to newest concept restaurant; French fine dining – ages 12 and up. Evening dress code: Resort Elegant.
– The Pavilion: signature Thai restaurant.
– The Gulai House: traditional Malaysian restaurant offering diners a beautiful hand washing ceremony.
– The Beach Club: Serving lunch and dinner, cuisine is International / Seafood & Grille.
– The Beach Bar: Serving cocktails and light snacks.
– The Lobby Lounge: Serving afternoon tea, evening cocktails and featuring a dedicated tapas menu.
– The Spa, offering unique ‘Ramuan’ rituals and journeys
– Health Club, featuring sauna and steam facilities
– Wellbeing and Holistic Activities
– The Adult Pool
– The Family Pool
– Watersports Pavilion with complimentary use of non-motorised watersports
Corporate & Celebration Events
– The meeting room: The 100-square metre meeting room is located in the main building, off the main pool area. Suitable for full-day or half-day meetings, it has natural daylight, Wi-Fi and is fully equipped. It also has an additional 75 square-metre pre-function foyer furnished with a cosy seating area. Customised meeting arrangements are available on request.
– Weddings: Each of our weddings is bespoke, from fine dining to flower arrangements carefully curated by our onsite wedding specialist who will assist you with planning your ultimate, tailor-made dream experience.
– For a more intimate special occasion, The Datai Langkawi can create personalised and private candlelit dinners, offering the perfect setting for a birthday, anniversary or simply to celebrate with family and friends.
Extra Notable Features
– Golf at The Els Club: 5 minutes drive from The Datai Langkawi
– Cookery Classes: The cookery classes at The Datai Langkawi are bound to delight guests looking for delicious culinary experiences. Our Malay, Thai and Indian resident chefs lead our cookery class at The Dapur (Malay for kitchen). There’s an introduction by the chef about the recipe of the day, a visit to the herb gardens to pick fresh ingredients, followed by the cooking session and lunch accompanied by a complimentary glass of wine. You will also be presented with a personalised certificate of accomplishment.
– The Boutique: The boutique’s product collection includes both classic and modern clothing, accessories and footwear for men and women, as well as sports and yoga wear. It also stocks a hand-picked, exclusive selection of jewellery and a homeware collection. It is the ideal place to discover gifts for friends and family, holiday souvenirs, and is the perfect excuse for a spot of retail indulgence from the comfort of the hotel.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
– The Best Hotels in Asia & The Indian Subcontinent (voted 2nd), Reader’s Travel Awards 2016, Conde Nast Traveller UK
– The Top 100 (voted 19th), Reader’s Travel Awards 2016, Conde Nast Traveller UK
– The Gold List (voted 5th), Reader’s Travel Awards 2016, Conde Nast Traveller UK (only Malaysian resort listed)
– The Dining Room, Award of Excellence, Restaurant Awards 2016, Wine Spectator
– Top 25 Hotels – Malaysia (voted 3rd), Travellers’ Choice Awards 2016, TripAdvisor
– Most Outstanding Surabi Traditional Malay Cuisine, Modern Asian Cuisine Restaurant Awards, 2 Gold Medals, 5 Silver Medals, and 3 Bronze Medals, 16th Battles Of The Chefs 2016, Penang Chef Association, Malaysia
– Best Beach Resort – Malaysia, Readers’ Choice Awards 2016, Going Places magazine
– Best Overseas Resort – Gold List 2016 (ranked 12th), Luxury Travel
– Customer Excellence Award 2016, British Airways Holidays (in recognition of consistently high Reevoo score of 9.5 out of 10, as rated by British Airways Holidays customers)
– Top 10 Hotels in Malaysia (voted 3rd), Travellers’ Choice Awards 2015, TripAdvisor
– The Datai Langkawi, Certificate of Excellence – Best in Business 2015, TripAdvisor
– The Gulai House, Certificate of Excellence – Best in Business 2015, TripAdvisor
– The Pavilion, Certificate of Excellence Awards – Best in Business 2015, TripAdvisor
– The Dining Room, Certificate of Excellence Awards – Best in Business 2015, TripAdvisor
– The Gold List (listed), Conde Nast Traveller Middle East 2015 (only resort in Malaysia to be listed)
– The Dining Room, Award of Excellence, Restaurant Awards 2015, Wine Spectator
– The Best Hotels in Asia & The Indian Subcontinent (voted 4th), Reader’s Travel Awards 2015, Conde Nast Traveller UK
– The Top 100 (voted 27th), Reader’s Travel Awards 2015, Conde Nast Traveller UK
– The Gulai House, Innovative Restaurant – Malay (winner), 19th Malaysia Tourism Awards 2014/15
– Top 25 Luxury Hotels in Malaysia (winner), Travellers’ Choice Awards 2014, TripAdvisor
– Top 25 Hotels in Malaysia (winner), Travellers’ Choice Awards 2014, TripAdvisor
– Top 20 Hotels for Service in Malaysia (winner), Travellers’ Choice Awards 2014, TripAdvisor
– Top 25 Relaxation & Spa Hotels in Malaysia (winner), Travellers’ Choice Awards 2014, TripAdvisor
– The Datai Spa, Best Luxury Destination Spa – Country (finalist), World Luxury Spa Awards 2014
– Signum Virtutis (Seal of Excellence) – Hotel/Resort (winner), Seven Star Global Luxury Awards 2014
– Best Companies to Work for in Asia 2014 (listed), HR Asia Awards
– The Datai Spa, Best Spa Experience (winner), The Best of Malaysia Award 2014, Expatriate Lifestyle Malaysia magazine
– Excellence Award – Best Romantic Stay (winner), The Best of Malaysia Award 2014, Expatriate Lifestyle Malaysia magazine
– The Gulai House, Best F&B Outlet (winner), Langkawi Tourism Awards (LITA) 2013-2014
– Luxury Hideaway Resort – Continent (winner), World Luxury Hotel Awards 2014
– Best General Manager – Country (winner), World Luxury Hotel Awards 2014 (Anthony Sebastian)
Number of employees
450 – 500