Uga Escapes Ulagalla Walawwa Resort Ulagalla Walawwa, Thirappane, Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka www.ugaescapes.com
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Ms. Gitanjali Haaland – General Manager Ulagalla: Has over 24 years of professional managerial experience in the travel and tourism industry and has had an extensive career in leading Hotels & Resorts globally including, Maldives, Bali, Thailand, Bhutan, London, Miami and Caribbean.
Luxury Boutique Hotel
Surrounded by 58 acres of natural woodland, the 150 year old mansion has been transformed into a sustainable, eco-friendly resort with creatively designed luxurious villas.
Uga Escapes Ulagalla Walawwa Resort
History & Story
The land that Ulagalla Resort is built on belonged to a Chieftain, known as ‘RateMahattaya’ (the ruler of the area). Surrounded by 58 acres of natural woodland, this 150 year old mansion is the pièce de résistance of this idyllic escape. The mansion was later modified in the year 1916 with large masonry columns at ground level supporting its upper level balcony with slender timber columns. This mansion has been restored and is now the lobby & reception area of Ulagalla, where you feel the monumental aura of its history as you enter.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
20 luxurious villas & dot the sprawling estate. Designed to complement its natural surroundings and ethos, each villa has been constructed using environmentally friendly material, Durra. Design features include a four-poster bed,a private plunge pool with air jet bubbles and spacious outdoor.
Ulagalla by Uga Escapes is located in the quiet village of Tirappane, 40 km north of Dambulla on the Dambulla – Anuradhapura A9 route. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Anuradhapura is a scenic 20 km drive from the estate and renowned cultural triangle sites. Approximately 160 km from the Bandaranayak eInternational Airport and 176 km from Colombo, Ulagalla by Uga Escapes is accessible via helicopter or a scenic journey by road.
Key sites/activities in the area
• UNESCO World Heritage Site Anuradhapura • Wilpattu National Park • Minneriya National Park • In Resort activities include – Kayaking, Horse riding, Archery, Cycling Organic garden tour, kite making.
• Ulagalla has its own Organic farm and rice paddy field, giving guests a chance to experience a fully Sri Lankan cooking experience during their stay. • Wild Peacocks wonder frequently in the lush green paddies at Ulagalla and is a very common sight • Ulagalla has their own Solar farm which supplies over 50% of the hotel’s energy requirement when in full operation.
Children’s activities include kite making, village bicycle tours, nature walk’s, bird watching.
• Number of suites: 20 (19 villas + 1 two bedroom villa ‘Nikaweva” • Number of Luxury rooms: 0 20 • Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 20
Restaurants & Bars
• Main restaurant • Cocktail Lounge Bar
• Spa • Main Swimming pool • Fitness Center • Private in Villa plunge pool
Extra Notable Features
• Cooking class in the Ulgalla Organic Garden • Yoga on request
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• 2012 – 2016 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence • 2013 to 2017 Trip Advisor Traveller’s Choice Award