Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort
Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort
Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort, 800mts West from Mariposa, Manuel Antonio, Quepos
Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Cayuga Sustainable Collection
David Callan and Jeremy Allen
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Hotel General Manager Name : Alfonso Santamaria, Im a hotelier for life. I was graduated from Hotel Management school here in Costa Rica and work in different areas and hotels. My Master Degree in Hotel management is from a Swiss School. This process has taken me to travel around the world working like Spain, Swiss, US & here in Costa Rica.
Im a proud Swiss Hotelier looking to deliver the best service and experience to our guests. Im a passionate leader focus on innovate, teach and form our team to be better and successful.
Arenas Del Mar is Costa Rica’s first and only hotel that combines 5 Stars and 5 Sustainability Leaves (the highest rating possible in both categories). Both certifications were awarded by the Costa Rican Tourism Ministry ICT.
Our hotel is set in eleven acres of nature with private nature trails filled with wildlife and access to two beautiful beaches. Inspired by the natural beauty that surrounds us, we at Arenas del Mar are committed to demonstrating that a world class resort can successfully combine the highest levels of sustainability, rigorous standards in environmental stewardship and social responsibility, all while operating completely carbon neutral. Arenas del Mar is a member of the Cayuga Collection of Sustainable Luxury Hotels and Lodges – learn more about sustainable practices and policies of this group of hotels here.
ARENAS DEL MAR BEACHFRONT & RAINFOREST RESORT
History & Story
The hotel was built on the year 2007 , on 11 hectares secondary forest , from the beginning the main idea was to be a sustainable hotel, Always protecting flora and fauna And logically developing the community, With the passage of time Arenas del mar have been able to strengthen their bases through different sustainable processes, where the culture and leaders are really outstanding.
Arenas del mar has an incredible property, with lovely beaches, abundant vegetation and wildlife, where we can appreciate monkeys, sloths, iguanas, among others, we also maintain a highly qualified staff with great talent in the services we provide, All the services that you can find in, are of first quality, we have 2 restaurants, 2 swimming pools, wellness center and different internal tours to enjoy.
Very important to rescue that our concept is always aligned in personalizing the services and achieving to satisfy the needs of all our visitors, that is why we have different activities hand in hand with the services already mentioned, I share some of them: Dinners at the side of the sea and romantic, theme nights at the beach restaurant, sustainability tours, big billboard of activities of corporal exercise like work out, yoga .
We have remodeled the rooms with first quality wooden furniture, as well as the restaurants, the spa changes to be wellness, We managed to make a very positive change of external tours to tour operators by our guides, Now we are changing the facade to the main lobby area.
Date added extensions
Does not have it !
Main Strengths, Special Touch
An extraordinary beachfront and rainforest resort catering to travelers looking for more than the typical luxury hotel experience. Our carbon neutral property offers sustainable, luxurious lodging—the first Costa Rican luxury hotel to be awarded the Five Sustainability Leaf Award and a Five Star Award.
The Resort is set in an eleven-acre private nature reserve, boasting nature trails and access to two beautiful beaches: Espadilla and Playitas Beach. Our property overlooks the spectacular Manuel Antonio National Park.
Resort Features: Mirador Restaurant has an open air, covered interior dining area and outdoor seating. Serves breakfast and dinner with a fresh, costarican-fusion style. Playitas Restaurant offers a variety of snacks and fresh lunch alternatives in an unrivaled beachfront setting. Our Brisas Wellness Center offers sumptuous treatments and relaxing massages while being lulled by the sounds of the sea.
Guest Rooms: 38 Guest Rooms and Suites are situated throughout the hillside in 7 different buildings. Each room features King Size Bed, air conditioning + ceiling fans, spacious bathrooms with showers, hair dryers, complimentary WiFi access, free local & international calls, 29” flat screen Cable TV, coffee maker with local organic coffee, mini bar with local snacks, laptop-sized safe.
On-Site & Off-site Activities: Private nature reserve, hiking, birdwatching, surf lessons, canopy tour, catamaran, white-water rafting
Arenas Del Mar is located on the Central Pacific Coast of Costa Rica about 2 miles from the nearest airstrip located in the town of Quepos (in the Manuel Antonio area). Quepos is a short 20 minute flight from Costa Rica’s capital of San Jose where international flights land at Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO). Driving from SJO takes about 3 hours.
The resort is situated on a cliff with direct access to two pristine sand beaches: Espadilla Beach and Playitas Beach. Our property overlooks the spectacular Manuel Antonio National Park and is located within walking distance of Costa Rica’s most visited national park.
Key sites/activities in the area
Top 10 Activities at Arenas del Mar Resort :
1. Enjoy spectacular Pacific sunsets from your private deck or El Mirador Pool.
2. Walk from our property’s Espadilla Beach to Manuel Antonio National Parkwhere you can hike through the rainforest with a local guide who will point out sloths, monkeys and exotic birds.
3. Unwind with a Tico Sour at our El Mirador Bar Happy Hour.
4. Lunch under the palms at Playitas Beach with the sound of the waves, sea breezes and fresh, local food.
5. Get a great shot-wildlife photo ops can be found all over our eleven-acre property or on the tours offered with our guides.
6. Pamper yourself with a massage on the beach or at Las Brisas Spa.
7. Zoom through the rainforest on a canopy tour high above the treetops.
8. Learn about eco-tourism at Arenas Del Mar and take home some tricks to implement in your own life of our Sustainability Tour.
9. Taste a local specialty during our Tortilla making with our staff where you’ll make and enjoy a traditional tortilla with a cup of local coffee made the old-fashioned way.
10. Climb through the canopy on stunning suspension bridges in our Hanging Bridges & Waterfalls Tour—the most impressive canopy walk in Costa Rica.
Although we are all about relaxing and disconnecting at Arenas del Mar, we know it can be hard to put your camera or phone down while you’re on our property! From the monkeys swinging above you to the sunset, there are photo opportunities at every corner.
Absolutely! Arenas Del Mar is a great family destination and a wonderful opportunity for families to spend quality time together. Arenas Del Mar is Manuel Antonio’s only luxury resort with direct access to two spectacular beaches; it also features two refreshing swimming pools. There are many interesting activities offered in the area for children, especially for years 6 and older, such as butterfly gardens, guided tours on interpretive trails into the rain forest, canopy tours and boat excursions.
Ocean View Premium Suite
Whether relaxing in your private hot tub or resting on the deck’s comfy day bed, delight your senses with the best ocean views in the house! Room Features: Fully air-conditioned bedroom with king-sized bed and 400-thread count, organic cotton linen; spacious living area is equipped with a full-sized pull out sofa bed, a kitchenette with dining table and a small refrigerator stocked with complimentary local treats; two bathrooms (each has a shower). Its spacious covered deck with a tiled hot tub guarantees spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and Manuel Antonio National Park. (Accommodates up to 3 adults or 2 adults & 2 children)
Ocean Breeze Suite
This suite offers unique views of our tropical rainforest while facing the Pacific Ocean– the best of both worlds! Room Features: Fully air-conditioned bedroom with king-sized bed, 400-thread count, organic cotton linen and a large bathroom; large living area equipped with ceiling fans, a full sized pull-out sofa bed, a kitchenette with dining table and a small refrigerator stocked with complimentary local treats. The private hot tub on the deck of the suite is the perfect spot to relax surrounded by the rainforest and sea breezes, while listening to the ocean waves. (Accommodates up to 3 adults)
Ocean View Superior Room
Enjoy stunning views of the Pacific Ocean from the best location in the house—these rooms boast the same views as our premium suites and are perfect for couples! Room Features: Large air-conditioned bedroom with king-sized bed, offering spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean; cable TV and DVD player; spacious bathroom with tiled shower; a private, covered deck features an outdoor kitchenette equipped with a complimentary “Tico” bar and comfortable seating area. (Accommodates 2 people)
Ocean Breeze Superior Room
Experience Manuel Antonio’s wide variety of activities in the daytime and come back to relax and cool off in your room’s private deck, overlooking the rainforest and beaches! Room Features: Spacious air-conditioned bedroom with king sized bed and world class linens, cable TV, DVD player, a complete bathroom with tiled shower and all of our world-class amenities; its covered private deck is equipped with an outdoor kitchenette with complimentary “Tico” bar and seating area for guests to enjoy views of the rainforest and animals awaiting to be spotted! (Accommodates 2 people)
A favorite among families with young children or active guests looking for value, while being able to enjoy a wide variety of outdoor activities and the pristine beaches of Manuel Antonio! Room Features: Spacious air-conditioned bedroom with king sized bed and world class linens; rooms feature one bathroom and a small outdoor terrace. (Accommodates 2 people)
Restaurants & Bars
• Culinary Highlights, Arenas Del Mar features two gourmet restaurants famous for their use of seasonal ingredients and local foods featuring Costa Rican Cuisine with an international flavor. The more formal restaurant El Mirador Bar & Restaurant hangs over the Espadilla Beach with its white sand and the sparkling Pacific Ocean and overlooks the spectacular Manuel Antonio National Park. Gorgeous sunsets can be enjoyed along with fantastic fresh lobster, tuna, sea bass, and other delicacies at this authentic Costa Rican fusion restaurant. Playitas Snack Bar is surrounded by wildlife, the sand and the sea. Located next to Arenas del Mar’s secluded white sand beach, Playitas Snack Bar is where our guests can choose their favorite drink or cocktail of the day and enjoy the sound of the waves and the sea breezes. We offer light but elegant foods with wonderful Costa Rican flavors. You will be able to dine and drink steps away from one of the world’s most spectacular beaches, Playitas, surrounded by rain forests with white faced monkeys chattering next to baritone Howler monkeys bellowing and above, sloth lazing in the trees.
Our Wellness Center offers a total experience of relaxation and rest, those who visit us have a different alternative that help to have a better management of stress, thus obtaining a physical and emotional balance. Each therapy is a unique and restorative experience that can cause a profound change in your state of health. Our main purpose is to promote health and well-being through physical activities like functional exercises, or the balance of the emotions this of the hand of the mini sessions like the meditations or Emotional Freedom Technique (Tapping), and spiritual on the whole Yoga classes. We seek to motivate the one who visits us to be proactive, thus improving or maintaining good health and quality of life. More than a treatment they enjoy personalized experiences helping them to find an optimum, integral and balanced state of health in multiple facets.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Dock to Dish (Know your Fisherman): Dock to Dish connects us directly to our local fishermen, ensuring the highest quality and best tasting seafood gets delivered right to our door every day. Thanks to this program, we’ve developed a strong bond with our partners and a better understanding of the fish in our local waters. We’re excited to bring you beautifully crafted dishes featuring our local seafood, as well as the story behind the fisherman who caught it.
• MASTER CHEF VISITS ARENAS DEL MAR DECEMBER 2017 we take food very seriously. Everyone who has had the pleasure of walking along our sandy beaches has had the pleasure of eating from the unique flavours and bountiful arrays produced by Costa Rica’s top chefs in our kitchens.
Extra Notable Features
Is the beach safe for swimming? Costa Rica’s beaches are renowned for their beauty, the temperature of the water (85F/29ºC degrees year round!) and their variety of wave activity. In Manuel Antonio one can find beaches that look like lakes with no waves. In other areas of the beaches, there are excellent waves for body and board surfing, as well as ocean kayaking. As in all beaches, it is best to consult daily about any possible riptides and the size of the waves before swimming.
Is Arenas Del Mar suitable for children? Absolutely! Arenas Del Mar is a great family destination and a wonderful opportunity for families to spend quality time together. Arenas Del Mar is Manuel Antonio’s only luxury resort with direct access to two spectacular beaches; it also features two refreshing swimming pools. There are many interesting activities offered in the area for children, especially for years 6 and older, such as butterfly gardens, guided tours on interpretive trails into the rain forest, canopy tours and boat excursions.
Is there a gym at the hotel? Although our resort does not offer a gym, we can schedule an outdoors power workout session during the morning, certain days of the week, where both guests and “exercise junkies” from our staff can connect! Guests may also jog safely along our property’s walking trails, uphill, downhill or along Playitas Beach, right in front of our hotel. We promise you will have a great exercise experience at Arenas del Mar.µ
Is there a Tennis Court at the hotel? We are surrounded by rainforest and beaches. Arenas del Mar does not offer a tennis court; nonetheless, we can arrange transportation to a nearby tennis court located atTennis Club Quepos, offering a practice wall and 2 regular sized tennis courts. We would be happy to assist you with your reservations.
Is there a Golf course near the hotel? The closest golf course is located at Los Suenos Marriott Golf & Marina Resort, about an hour’s drive from Arenas del Mar:“Nestled alongside an exotic rainforest with breathtaking ocean views, the 18-hole, par-72 championship La Iguana golf course offers not only a challenging Ted Robinson-designed layout but also a spectacular gallery featuring friendly monkeys and brightly hued macaws”. Our staff would be happy to assist you with tee times, reservations and private transportation.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
HOTEL AWARDS :
• TRIP ADVISOR 2016 : Arenas del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica is a 2016 Travelers’ Choice Hotel Winner LEARN MORE
• Our restaurants are focuse on locally caught seafood, fresh greens and vegetables as well as local Costa Rican dishes with a special touch. Gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan options are available upon request. Arenas del Mar Resort is the first non-US restaurant to be certified by the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness for the quality of the gluten-free meals we produce, and the first to become a member of Dock to Dish, an organization focused on responsible and sustainable fishing practices.
• TRAVEL & LEISURE 2014: World’s Best Resort Central and South America Winner LEARN MORE Arenas Del Mar debuts on World’s Best Awards and won fifth place on Top Resorts in Central and South America. It is also included in the list of Family Hotel in Central and South America. LEARN MORE
• CONDE´ NAST TRAVELER HOT LIST: Best new hotels in Central & South America LEARN MORE
• 1,000 PLACES TO SEE BEFORE YOU DIE: The area’s most stylish hotel offers spectacular beach and nature activities and the highest levels of comfort and sustainability. LEARN MORE
• EXPEDIA #2 IN THE WORLD’S TOP 10 HOTELS: The Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort in Quepos is in second place in this prestigious list, which recognizes exceptional customer service and attractive value for money. LEARN MORE
• TRIP ADVISOR 2013: Travelers’ Choice Award for Top 10 Luxury Hotels in Costa Rica LEARN MORE
• THE KNOT: The 50 Best New Honeymoon Spots for 2013 LEARN MORE
• RAIN FOREST ALLIANCE: The unique and spectacular beach and nature experiences of Costa Rica, combined with the highest levels of luxury and sustainability defines the concept of Arenas Del Mar LEARN MORE
• ANDREW HARPER: Recommended by Andrew Harper as a Seductive New Resort LEARN MORE
• ECO TROPICAL RESORTS: The Butterfly Club Eco Rating has five equally-weighted categories: Energy; Water; Recycling and waste; Land and nature conservation; and Community. LEARN MORE
Number of employees