Belmond Hotel Monasterio
Belmond Hotel Monasterio
Calle Palacio 136, Plazoleta Nazarenas
Date of creation
Built in 1595 and in 1965 was remodelled as a hotel.
Property of Belmond since may 1999
Mr Arturo Schwarz
Five-star Luxury Hotel
Corporate development strategy
BELMOND HOTEL MONASTERIO
History and Story
When you open your window on Cusco, you can expect your heart to soar as high as the Andean birds. Viewed from Belmond Hotel Monasterio, the sight of this ancient city cradled in the embrace of Peru’s vast mountains is among the world’s most stirring. This hotel allows travellers to immerse themselves in Cusco’s rich history and experience the city in a completely unique way.
August 2015, Rooms and bathrooms have being renewed by Enrique Palacios.
Main strengths, special touch
Restored 16th-century monastery, located two blocks away from Cusco’s central square. 122 rooms and suites decorated in traditional Spanish colonial style, most oxygen enriched. El Tupay Restaurant offering classic international cuisine. Three times a week the restaurant stages a vibrant opera night featuring South America’s top tenor and soprano. Extensive art collection displayed throughout the hotel. San Antonio Abad chapel, available for weddings and meetings.
Belmond Hotel Monasterio is located in the heart of the city of Cusco. It is just two blocks from Cusco’s central square, where the cathedral and most important museums are located. It is only 15 minutes drive from the airport. Replete with historic architecture and brimming with spirit, Cusco is one of the best places to visit in Peru.
Key sites/activites in the aera
The Plaza de Armas in the city’s energetic hub. It is dominated by the Renaissance cathedral, shimmering with gold leaf. Yet Cusco’s most dramatic place of worship is Qoricancha. In this most holy place, the Inca’s finest stonework coexists side by side with Santo Domingo Convent. The streets of Cusco’s old quarter are famed for other spectacular displays of Inca masonry, including the 12-Angled Stone. The hilly district San Blas teems with art galleries and stunning views of Cusco’s redtiled rooftops at every turn. Higher still, and overlooking the city, is Sacsayhuaman.
No two rooms are alike at Belmond Hotel Monasterio: each has its own antiques, artworks and rich furnishings, and varies in size and design. After a day’s sightseeing, enjoy a soothing session in our massage suite. Activities such as opera performances, cooking lessons and art tours make every visit memorably enriching.
Just desserts. Smaller guests can enjoy these fun pastry classes, preparing bearshaped vanilla cookies with quinoa flour. Mini-pizza: Cooking classes. Budding young chefs can learn how to prepare mini ham and cheese and vegetable pizzas with our chef’s assistance.
At the end of the activity they will be presented with a cute teddy, “Leoncio”, the hotel’s mascot.
Total of 122 rooms and suites
• Number of suites: 20
-14 Junior Suites (28m2 – 40m2). They are a home away from home. Each spans two levels. An airy bedroom sits on the mezzanine, while stairs lead down to a spacious living area. Some of the elegant marble bathrooms offer luxurious baths while others feature a shower. Oxygen enrichment can be arranged upon request.
-6 One Bedroom Suites (43m2 – 50m2). Experience the top tier of luxury at this boutique hotel. Cusco brims with energy, yet these suites offer a tranquil hideaway. You’ll find almost endless space, with a bedroom, separate living room, large marble bathroom and either a private terrace, patio or balcony.
• Number of Luxury rooms: 102
-53 Superior rooms (15m2 – 17m2). They feature warm and inviting Spanish colonial décor, king-size or twin beds and luxurious marble bathrooms.
-49 Deluxe rooms (20m2 – 25m2). These unique Rooms feature charming colonial interiors with additional space to luxuriate. Elegant bathrooms are shower only.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 122
Restaurants & bars
• Illariy: Perfect for breakfast in the cloisters overlooking the courtyard with live guitar music (5am – 10:30am). Classic Peruvian and international dishes served at lunchtime (11 :30am – 5 :30pm).
• El Tupay: Open for dinner, offering globally inspired Peruvian cuisine (6pm – 10:30pm). Three times a week the restaurant stages a vibrant opera night featuring Cusco’s best tenor and soprano.
• Lobby Bar: Elegant, colonial-style atmosphere; ideal for sampling coca sours or pisco sours and other exotic cocktails. Live jazz and blues three times a week (11am – 10 :30pm).
• Delimonasterio. Artfully prepared, home-baked breads filled with delicious meats and cheeses, tempting cakes and pastries and exquisite teas and coffees.
• Therapy suite.
Corporate and celebration events
Belmond Hotel Monasterio is one of the most beautiful places in Peru to celebrate a wedding. Exchange your vows in our stunning baroque chapel, surrounded by magniﬁcent pieces of colonial art. Or stage your event in the beautiful gardens and cloisters of our main courtyard. The romance and magic of the setting will ensure memories to treasure forever. The hotel is also ideal for hosting extraordinary business events—a conference in the chapel, an alfresco incentive in the cloisters.
Extra Notable Features
• Art Tour. The building which houses Belmond Hotel Monasterio is steeped in history and hosts its very own art collection. Our guests don’t need to travel far to soak up the local culture.
• Opera Dinner. Prepare to be wowed by the voice of Angela Medina, Peru’s most accomplished soprano, as guests dine on the best classic international cuisine featuring locally-sourced ingredients at El Tupay restaurant.
Hotel and restaurant(s) Awards
•Trip Advisor – Travellers’ Choice Awards 2017 – “Top 25 Hotels-South America”- # 23 Top Hotel
•Trip Advisor – Travellers’ Choice Awards 2017 – “Top 25 Hotels-Peru”- # 4Top Hotel
•Travel+Leisure – World’s Best Awards 2017 – #5 in the “Best City Hotels in Central and South America”
•Condé Nast Traveler (US) – Readers’ Choice Awards 2017 – #10 in the “Top Hotels in South America”
•Condé Nast Traveler (US) – Readers’ Choice Awards 2016 – #9 in the “Top 15 Hotels in South America”.
•Travel + Leisure’s – World’s Best Awards 2016 – #7 in the “Central & South America City Hotels”.
•Trip Advisor – Travellers’ Choice Awards 2016 – “Top 25 Hotels-South America”- #8 Top Hotel.
•Trip Advisor – Travellers’ Choice Awards 2016 – “Top 25 Hotels-Peru”- # 2 Top Hotel.America.
•Condé Nast Traveler (US) – Readers’ Choice Awards 2015 – #11 in the “Top 25 Hotels in South America”.
•World Travel Awards – 2015 “South America’s Leading Heritage Hotel”
•Travel + Leisure’s – World’s Best Awards 2015 – #6 in the “Central & South America City Hotels”.
•Trip Advisor – Travellers’ Choice Awards 2015 – “Top 25 Hotels-South America”- #13 Top Hotel.
• Condé Nast Traveller (UK) – Readers’ Choice Awards – #9 in the “Top 25 Hotels in South America
• Travel+Leisure – World’s Best Awards 2013 – #3 in the “Top City Hotel in Central and South America”.
• Trip Advisor – Travellers’ Choice Awards 2013 – #8 in the “Top 10 Best Luxury Hotels in Peru.”
Number of employees