Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
Machu Picchu, Peru
Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
Machu Picchu, Peru
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Mr Marc Yeterian
Only luxury hotel located adjacent to the Machu Picchu citadel, offering easy access from early morning to late afternoon.
Corporate development strategy
BELMOND SANCTUARY LODGE
History & Story
No picture of Machu Picchu can prepare you for seeing it with your own eyes. Perched high in the Andes, it is one of few places in the world that can be described as truly unmissable. It’s on everyone’s travel wish list, attracting a million visitors each year. But there’s only one way to see it in style: by staying at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• Only hotel located adjacent to the Machu Picchu citadel, offering easy access from early morning to late afternoon
• 2 suites and 29 rooms.
• Private à la carte service at Tampu Restaurant Bar
• Hot tub with magnificent views towards Machu Picchu
• Complimentary high-speed WiFi
“In the variety of its charms and the power of its spell, I know of no place in the world which can compare with it. Not only has it great snow peaks looming above the clouds more than two miles overhead, gigantic precipices of many-colored granite rising for thousands of feet above the foaming, glistening, roaring rapids; it has also, in striking contrast, orchids and tree ferns, the delectable beauty of luxurious vegetation and the mysterious witchery of the jungle.” – Hiram Bingham.
Key sites/activities in the area
Payment to the earth ceremony
Coca leaf readings
Andean shaman ceremonies
• American historian Hiram Bingham was one of the first to sleep in the are where the lodge is currently built.
• Treasure hunt in our gardens
Young explorers will be set the challenge to find Tito, the hotel’s family mascot which is an ‘Andean cock-of-the-rock’, the national bird of Peru and a bird Belmond Sanctuary Lodge.
We have 29 rooms and 2 suites
• 17 Superior Rooms (15m2): King-size or twin beds, some oer a private patio with views of
• 7 Deluxe Mountain View King Rooms (15m2): King-size bed, breathtaking views of tropical mountains and jungle across the Urubamba River.
• 5 Deluxe Mountain View Rooms with Terrace (17m2): Twin beds, view of mountains and forests, terrace, lounge furniture, dining table.
• 2 Presidential Suites (35m2): King-size bed, spectacular views from outdoor terrace, separate bedroom and sitting area.
Restaurants & Bars
• Tampu Restaurant
Take in the wonderful views befitting one of the few restaurants in Machu Picchu while you savour a selection of delightful dishes. Choose from an international or Peruvian menu while you enjoy the stylish and modern atmosphere.
• Tampu Bar
Unwind after a busy day in the Tampu Bar with a traditional Pisco Sour or a soothing muña tea. Local stones and wood décor complement the harmonious ambience of the Lodge.
Our gardens boast stunning views across Machu Picchu. They are the perfect location in which to relax during your stay. Also you can marvel at the near-countless variety of flowers and birds that populate the region.
At Belmond Sanctuary lodge we offer a range of massages and aromatherapy treatments. Based on ancient Inca techniques, these will leave you feeling pampered and rejuvenated. You’ll also be able to enjoy informal relaxation exercises that benefit from Machu Picchu’s spiritual energy.
• Heated plunge pool
The surrounding area of Machu Picchu has a host of wonderful excursions and tours. To help you experience the natural beauty of the area we would be pleased to organise a guide. All of our local guides have an expert understanding of the area.
• Massage room
• Relaxation Area
Corporate & Celebration Events
Just a few steps away from the awe-inspiring citadel, Belmond Sanctuary Lodge is the perfect setting for a magical wedding, a social event or a corporate function.
Extra Notable Features
• Orchid Garden
• Payment to the earth ceremony
• Renewing vows
• Reading of coca leaves
• Sunrise breakfast
• Relaxation area
• Andean cosmovision (astronomy)
• Treasure hunt
• Potato and pisco lessons
• Orchid tour
• Bird watching
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
•Trip Advisor – Travellers’ Choice Awards 2017 – “Top 25 Hotels-Peru”- # 21 Top Hotel.
•AFAR – Travelers’ Choice Hotel Awards 2017 – “Top Epic Stay Hotels” – #4
•Condé Nast Traveler (US) – Readers’ Choice Awards 2017 – #25 in the “Top Hotels in South
•America”. Score 84.91
•Travel + Leisure’s – World’s Best Awards 2015 – #4 in the “Central & South America Resorts”. Score 82.93
•Word Travel Awards – 2014 “Peru’s Leading Resort”
•Travel+Leisure – World’s Best Awards 2014 – #8 in “Top Resorts in Central and South America”. Score 85.83
• Travel+Leisure – World’s Best Awards 2013 – #10 in “Top Resorts in Central and South America”. Score 86.44
• Trip Advisor – Travellers’ Choice Awards 2013 – “Top 25 Best Hotels in Peru”- # 14 Top hotel.
• Travel+Leisure – “World’s Best Awards” – #9 Top Resorts in Central and South America. – Score of 84.70
• Brides Magazine – Best Honeymoons – #2 top resort in Central and South America.
Number of employees