Hacienda AltaGracia, an Auberge Resort Costa Rica
Hacienda AltaGracia, an Auberge Resort
Contiguo a la Escuela de Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa de cajon de Perez Zeledon, Costa Rica 11908
Auberge Resorts Collection
Costa Rican family owned. Managed by Auberge Resorts Collection.
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Marcela Herrendoerfer brings international experience in Europe, Africa, Chile and most recently held positions of leadership in Stuttgart, Germany. Prior to that, she oversaw the grand opening of a resort in Tanzania as General Manager, where she led the sales and marketing team to successfully position the property in a new market for the American luxury brand She completed an apprenticeship in Bonn, Germany where she received a degree in Hotel Business. Marcela, a self-proclaimed adventure seeker, has climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Cerro Toco in Chile and plans to climb Mount Chirripo in 2019 making her a natural fit to begin her next chapter in Costa Rica.
5 star luxury resort
To bring travellers to the undiscovered region of Perez Zeledon to experience authentic Costa Rican hospitality.
HACIENDA ALTAGRACIA, AN AUBERGE RESORT
History & Story
Hacienda AltaGracia sits in the clouds, on top of the mountains of Pérez Zeledón in the southern region of Costa Rica. Once a coffee farm, AltaGracia was originally built as a family retreat, complete with its own elaborate stables and private airstrip, and now it is an intimate resort delivering hand crafted care and luxury across every space. There are 50 individual hacienda-style casitas, each with sweeping views of Costa Rica’s San Isidro Valley and nearby mountains. The resorts dining collection speaks to all the senses offering fresh fusion and locally inspried cuisine with most of the produce used in menus originating from its own 20-acre organic farm. AltaGracia has an awe-inspiring spa which boasts a reputation as one of Central America’s leading wellness havens featuring state-of-art relaxation and fitness facilities, two panoramic outdoor pools and majestic gardens and multi-functional recreation spaces. Worlds away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, AltaGracia offers an adventure few ever get to experience in Costa Rica; a pure, pristine and authentic side. These highlands are still unknown to alot of locals, but are also expecting to be discovered by international visitors .. and we can show it all to you by air, on horseback, a mountain bike or on foot!
Family pool, El Manantial was added in December 2017.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Our team of staff, most of whom were born and bred in Perez Zeledon and their hospitality is a result of the warmth of their culture, a feeling referred to as Pura Vida! Our dynamic roster of activities developed from within the local area. Daily resort activities program. High service levels and the farm to fork dining experience.
Located in the southern region of Costa Rica, Hacienda AltaGracia uncovers one of the country’s last hidden havens: Pérez Zeledón, a traditional agricultural town and now a mandatory stop in any visitors itinerary. The region boasts all over picturesque beauty, flora and fauna, and sits close to the Cerro Chirripó, Costa Rica’s tallest mountain, Los Cusingos Wildlife Bird refuge and lush green valleys.
The Hacienda’s remote location is best accessed by private charter plane from any of the country’s regional and international airports direct to the Hacienda’s own airstrip. A domestic scheduled airline, Sansa operates a flight from San Jose (Sansa Terminal) to San Isidro airfield, four days a week (Sun, Mon, Wed and Fri) and we transfer guests to and from San Isidro which is only 30 minutes from the Hacienda. By road, AltaGracia is a 3.5hrs drive from San Jose International Airport and a 2 hr drive from Manuel Antonio.
Key sites/activities in the area
Ultralight Flights : open air piloted plane ride flying low and slow over mountains, waterfalls, lush forests and the Pacific coastline.
Namu Waterfalls Hike : a rainforest hike to a majestic 3-tiered waterfall followed by a locally prepared Costa Rican lunch.
Los Cusingos : a wildlife bird refuge.
Horse riding along mountain trails : Mountain Biking, Zip Lining, Water Rafting, Cedral Coffee Plantation tour and Life on a Farm tour. The Boruca tribe, a visit to one of Costa Rica’s last indigenous tribes near the foothills of the Talamanca mountains.
Our owner loves to fly his own plane and mapped the location of each Casita from the air so the best views were captured for guests to enjoy from their accommodations.
When you go horseriding at AltaGracia a guide will accompany you along your trail and talk to you about the area. A Caballista (a professional Costa Rican horseman) will accompany you too, because it is his horse you are riding and he is there to make sure you ride his horse with care!
Whale sightings are common flying over the coast during September & October.
Family friendly. AltaGracia operates a special children’s program of activities during festive and Easter seasons. Typically, families visiting AltaGracia enjoy getting closer to nature, the local culture and to one-another as a family. Minimum ages for tours and activities varies based on activity but typically from 6 yrs and older.
– Deluxe Queen Suite – 1,173 sq. ft., 2 queen beds
– Deluxe King Suite – 1,173 sq. ft., 1 king bed
– One Bedroom Premium Casita – 1,485 sq. ft., 1 king bed, fireplace, separate living area
– Master Casita – 2,293 sq. ft., 1 king bed, jacuzzi bathtub, fireplace, separate living area
– Pool Casita – 2,293 sq. ft., 1 king bed, jacuzzi bathtub, fireplace, separate living area, private outdoor pool
– Two Bedroom Castia – 2,346 sq. ft., open-air design for indoor/outdoor living, separate living area, 1 king bed and 2 queen beds
Restaurants & Bars
– El Grill: serving dinner Tuesday and Friday
– El Manantial: serving lunch, pool side daily at the family pool
– La Cantina: the Hacienda’s main bar serving specialty cocktails, premium spirits, snacks, sandwiches and pizza; featuring billiard tables, gaming tables and board games
– Vistaverde: serving lunch, pool side daily by adult-only pool
The Auberge Spa at Hacienda AltaGracia boasts a reputation as one of Central America’s leading wellness havens with 20,000 sq. ft. of state-of-art relaxation and fitness facilities including a relaxation lounge, spa pool (with 40 ft, floor to ceiling glass windows!), jacuzzi pools, steam room, sauna and a range of signature therapies and services to relax, rejeuvenate and refresh mind, body and spirit.
Recognised as one of the top spas in Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America in 2017 at the Spa Mexi/Caribe Awards by Spa and Wellness.
Corporate & Celebration Events
– Boardroom: located in Casa Grande features permanent “U-Shape” boardroom table, accommodates up to 16 people depending on arrangement
– Ambar Restaurant: our signature restaurant with sweeping valley views, accommodates up to 60 people
– Ambar Terrace: our signature restaurant terrace overlooks breathtaking views of the valley, accommodates 40-100 people depending on arrangement
– Half Moon Terrace: outdoor terrace surrounding our infinity-edge pool with sweeping Talamanca mountain views, accommodates 24-30 people depending on arrangement
– Library: a large stone-hearth fireplace and walls of books provide a unique and intimate setting in Casa Grande, accommodate 24-60 people depending on arrangement
– La Bodeguita: Casa Grande’s underground cava bar is lined with aged in oak barrels for one-of-a-kind setting, accommodates 24-60 people depending on arrangement
– Pool Terrace: outdoor terrace surrounding our infinity-edge pool with sweeping Talamanca mountain views, accommodate 100-120 people depending on arrangement
– Rancho Grande: our largest thatched-roof hut offers beautiful views of the pastures at Santa Teresa de Cajon, accommodates 40-100 people depending on arrangement
Extra Notable Features
• The equestrian facility at AltaGracia is outstanding with 28 oversized indoor stables, an enclosed riding ring, saddle room, experienced equestrian instructors and guided tours. Guests are encouraged to accompany the Caballistas (professional Costa Rican’ cowboys) with feeding and grooming the horses.
• There are a host of onsite activities available to the guest including hiking in the AltaGracia forest, mountain biking, exotic fruit tasting, learning how to make your own body scrub at the Spa, meditation classes and a guided garden stroll.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
– 2018 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence
– Travel + Leisure Worlds Best Awards – No. 4 Resort Hotel, Central America 2018
– Travel + Leisure Worlds Best Awards – Top 100 Hotels in the World
– Travel + Leisure, Worlds Best Awards – No. 1 Resort, Central America 2017
– Travel + Leisure, Worlds Best Awards – No. 20 Top Hotels in the World 2017
– Conde Nast Traveler, Readers Choice Awards – No. 1 Resort Hotel in Central America 2017
– Trip Advisor, Travelers Choice Awards – One of the Top 10 Luxury Hotels in Central America 2017
– Trip Advisor, Certificate of Excellence 2017
– Spa & Wellness, Spa Mexi/Caribe Awards – Top 10 Best Spas in Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America 2017
– Conde Nast Traveler, Hot Hotels 2016
– Conde Nast Traveler, Readers Choice Awards, One of the Top Resorts in Central and South America 2016
– Trip Advisor, Certificate of Excellence 2016
Number of employees