Hotel Grano de Oro
Hotel Grano de Oro
Calle 40, Avenidas 2 y 4, Barrio Don Bosco
San Jose, Costa Rica
Cayuga Collection, also Small Distinctive Hotels of Costa Rica
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Marco Montoya, from Costa Rica, graduated from Cartago Community College in Hotel Management. He has worked at Hotel Grano de Oro since opening day (back in 1991) when he was 21 years old and still in college, he is very passionate for the hotel and totally service orientated.
Boutique 4 star hotel
Hotel Grano de Oro combines the beauty of the hotel facilities with the warm service of their staff. The quality of the hotel and consistant service of excellence results on memorable stays. The in site restaurant is considered one of the best restaurants in Costa Rica, it definitely adds to the hotel experience. In year 2003 the hotel founded Casa Luz, this is a shelter to teenaged mothers (and their kids) that have been rescued from dangerous.
History & Story
The original tropical Victorian home, which is now known as the Grano de Oro, was a private family residence belonging to the Pozuelo family, built at the turn of the 20th century. The Hotel Grano de Oro opened its doors in December of 1991, with 21 guest rooms, a gift shop and a modest café. Quickly gaining recognition from local and international agencies for its unique personality and great service, the hotel became a landmark within the city.
In December 1994, after acquiring another Pozuelo family home, behind the first, the number of guest rooms was increased to a total of 34 and a Jacuzzi terrace was added.
The Restaurant also expanded with this renovation and began to take on its own identity with the hiring of a new French Chef, Francis Canal Bardot, who is still with us today. Hand in hand with the owners, Francis worked on new dishes and menus bringing a new point of view to the traditional offerings that were so common in San Jose. Over the next 10 years the hotel continued to stand strong as one of the best lodging options in San José, and the fame of its restaurant made it impossible to serve all of the customers who wanted to come to eat, especially the large number of local customers. Due to the need of the growing restaurant a decision was made to begin a 3rd expansion: the owners bought yet another property next door to the original home. In 2007 the completion of a beautiful building maintaining the original tropical Victorian architecture and style of the original Pozuelo house became the home of Restaurante Grano de Oro. The restaurant is one of a kind in the city offering an elegant indoor dining room, a beautiful inner courtyard, a handcrafted indoor/outdoor bar and an award winning wine cellar.
2007, Rojas Arquitectos, the new restaurant was built.
Date added extensions
2007, the new restaurant and 6 deluxe rooms
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Elegant, romantic, best quality, exquisite arquitecture, warm staff, it feels like home away from home.
Hotel Grano de Oro is 15 blocks west of Central Street, an easy 20 minutes walk to the city center (or 5 minutes taxi ride), also easy access to highway 1 (towards the airport), or highway 27 (towards the Pacific coast).
Key sites/activities in the area
Hotel Grano de Oro is within walking distance to La Sabana Park, Costa Rican Art Museum, Central Market, National Theater, Gold Museum, Jade Museum, National Museum, Craft Market.
Fun is in the surroundings of the hotel, at the Central Market, at the Central Avenue Pedestrian Boulevard, at La Sabana Park. The Hotel and Restaurante Grano de Oro and its staff continually focus on pleasing its customers and exceeding their expectations, when this happens people are happy, and being happy is fun !
Children are welcome to Hotel Grano de Oro, although we do not have a special program or children’s corner.
• Number of suites: 3, one of each kind
• One Vista de Oro Suite, it lives up to its name commanding a breathtaking view of the Central Valley skyline. Tiles, individually handmade in hues of ochre and sienna cover the walls and are complemented by rich wood panelling. The suite’s living area is stylishly furnished with exquisite antiques and a luxurious king size bed and a large in-room Jacuzzi.t
• One Garden Suite, originaly the homes living room, now a spacious suite with a king size bed and large windows opening onto a private tropical garden and patio. The Victorian feeling of the wood panelling and hardwood floor truly takes you back in time.
• One Family Suite, this two room suite comfortably accommodates up to five people. The main room has a queen and a twin bed and a small seating area. The adjoining room has a second queen bed. Each room has it’s own access to the bathroom.
•Number of Luxury rooms:
• 6 deluxe patio rooms, these guest rooms are more spacious that our superior rooms. These rooms offer one Simmons pillow top queen bed that feature a small private patio. Each room has a table and chairs to enjoy room service. You will enjoy the old world feel of a tropical Victorian mansion.
• 7 deluxe king rooms, our most popular room category, Deluxe King Rooms offer our luxurious Simmons pillow top king size mattresses and fine luxury linens.
• 8 deluxe two queen rooms, these guest rooms are more spacious that our superior rooms. These rooms offer two Simmons pillow top queen beds and comfortably accommodate a family of 4 or two couples. Each room has a table and chairs to enjoy room service. You will enjoy the old world feel of a tropical Victorian mansion.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all:
• 4 superior rooms, Superior category rooms are slightly larger than the standard rooms and also offer a pillow top queen size bed with fine linens and all the amenities needed to make your stay comfortable.
• 12 standard rooms, The most economical of our categories, these rooms offer the experience of staying in a cozy guest bedroom of a turn of the century mansion, with the luxuries of a fine hotel. Our standard rooms offer a pillow top queen bed and the same amenities as all our other classes of rooms.
Restaurants & Bars
• Restaurante Grano de Oro, international menu French-Costa Rica fussion, Chef Francis Canal, the menu is a la carte.
• The bar is in the middle of the restaurant.
• massage room
• jacuzzi terrace
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Sala Grano de Oro, at the second floor of the restaurant, capacity 14 poeple, we host groups for lunch or dinner (not for meetings)
• Salon Pozuelo, at the second floor of the restaurant, capacity 30 poeple, we host groups for lunch or dinner (not for meetings)
Extra Notable Features
In site souvenirs shop, all souvenirs sold in the gift shop are made in Costa Rica, this way we support the local craftmen.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Condenast #2 of top 5 hotels in the Caribbean and Central America
• Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame
• Trip Advisor #15 out of top 25 hotels in Central America
• Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2016
2014 – 2015
• Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame 2015
• Trip Advisor #8 out of top 10 hotels in Central America
• Trip Advisor a top hotel for Romance in Costa Rica
• Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2015
• Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2014
Number of employees