Jicaro Island Lodge
Jicaro Island Lodge
Date of Creation
January 10th, 2010
Hotel General Manager
Howard Coulson has a degree in Hotel Management and Tourism and more than 15 years of management experience in hotels and restaurants in Granada. The manager has been able to position Jicaro as Nicaragua’s premier Lodge.
5 Star Luxury Lodge
Nicaragua’s top nature resort located on a private island in the Granada Isletas, is a member of the prestigious National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World. Surrounded by calm sparkling waters with views across the lake to Mombacho Volcano.
History & Story
As a world traveller, owner Karen Emanuel’s journey to create a sustainable resort began in 2007 when she was visiting Granada and happened to see an “Island for Sale” notice. Fulfilling her dream of creating a wellness retreat, Jicaro Island Lodge – designed by architect Matthew Falkiner – first opened its doors to guests in January 2010. Great care was taken whilst building the lodge to maintain the existing character of the island and the lush vegetation. When building they did not remove any of the large trees or boulders and so the land dictated the form of the resort.
Casita and lodge overall décor renewed yearly.
Date added extensions
New complimentary in-room mini bars with wellness kit in November 2016
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Jicaro recently became the only Nat Geo Unique Lodge of the World in Nicaragua; its priviledged location on a private island and strong attention to detail. Culinary program with emphasis on sustainable, locally sourced ingredients is definitely a highlight.
Daily yoga lessons included in the rate. The Yoga deck inspires the perfect setting for yoga and is an ideal location for wellness retreats.
Located in the Granada isletas, in Lake Nicaragua, just 30 minutes away from the colonial town of Granada.
Key sites/activities in the area
Kayak around the Asese Archipelago, hike the cloud forest of Mombacho Volcano, tour around Granada city, visit the hot springs of La Calera farm. Water activities on Lake Nicaragua (Paddle-boarding, kayaking, swimming, fishing). Sandboarding at Cerro Negro. Visits to the local schools to share with the community and learn about our community outreach programs and involvement.
Built entirely from timber reclaimed from trees blown down by hurricane Felix, the buildings and furniture are made of tropical hardwoods which have FSC / Rainforest Alliance wood certification.
Jicaro is recommended for children ages twelve and above; nonetheless, we welcome children 8 years old and up from March 15th- April 15th and from July 1st-August 20th. No children below 12 are allowed at the lodge outside these specified dates.
• Name: Casitas
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 9
Each of our two storey casitas has a living area with private deck overlooking Lake Nicaragua. There is a private bedroom with a king size bed on the second floor. The casitas and the furniture are made locally from Rainforest Alliance certified wood. Most notably, the oversized hammock and comfy furniture of the deck will invite you to relax and feel the peace of this magical lake. Early morning coffee and late afternoon ‘sundowner’ delivery service is available upon request.
Restaurants & Bars
• Meals at Jicaro are gourmet and a la carte and are all included in the room rate along with non-alcoholic beverages. Jicaro has an open kitchen next to the restaurant, and it’s a real treat to watch the Chef prepare your dinner. Our menus are varied and delicious, and we pride ourselves on selecting only the freshest of fish from the lake and nearby Pacific Ocean, locally produced fruit and vegetables, and locally farmed organic chicken and beef. We believe that when you use fresh, tasty ingredients, even the simplest of dishes will be extraordinary.
• The restaurant and bar are at the center of the Jicaro experience with fabulous views across Nicaragua Lake.
• Complimentary Daily morning yoga class on our Yoga Deck
• Massage rooms overlooking the lake
• Swimming pool
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Outside terrace overlooking the lake great for happy hour set-ups for special events (Full Resort only)
• We gladly accept full resort reservations for family celebrations, Yoga Retreats or small weddings.
Extra Notable Features
• Complemetary Yoga Lessons
• Cocktail and cooking lessons
• Swimming and complimentary paddle-boards and Kayaks
• Artisanal Fishing available upon request
• Sustainability Tour of the island and nearby projects
• Mirador that overlooks the entire island
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Jicaro Island Lodge is one of the newest members of the National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World (http://www.nationalgeographiclodges.com/) and currently the only National Geographic Lodge in Nicaragua.
• World Legacy Award Winners – 2017
• Has been featured in Brides, National Geographic Traveler, The Telegraph, The Financial Times, Conde Nast and Travel + Leisure.
Number of employees