Morgan’s Rock Hacienda & Ecolodge Nicaragua
Morgan’s Rock Hacienda & Ecolodge
Playa Ocotal, San Juan del Sur, Rivas Nicaragua
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Andrey Gomez is the General Manager and VP of the owners board. Andrey has a key role on sales and Marketing with Morgan´s Rock as he has a background in the high End industry for the last 12 years in Costa Rica y 15 months ago he took over Morgan´s Rock
Luxury experiential property.
Morgan’s Rock Hacienda & Ecolodge
History & Story
Experiential luxury on a private tropical beach, stunning ocean-view bungalows, all within a 4,000-acre jungle define the Morgan’s Rock experience. Morgan´s Rock is a 15-bungalow hideaway on a mile-long picturesque sandy beach, frequented year-round by nesting sea turtles.
Opened in 2004 and recently refurbished in 2015 by owners, the Poncon family, Morgan’s Rock is two hours by car from Managua, the capital of Nicaragua, on the Southern Pacific Coast of this ready to be discovered Central American country. The forested land and reserve hosts a variety of exotic animals like spider, howler and capuchin monkeys, deer, reptiles, and many native and migrant birds.
Morgan’s Rock is a one of a kind vacation destination. We are a luxury accommodation provider, but more than that we provide memories that last a lifetime. Many of our guests are return visitors. Our mission is to provide guests with ultimate relaxation, peace of mind, and an authentic local experience. Equally important to us is the preservation of Nicaragua’s vital ecosystems and wildlife, as well as cultural preservation and community involvement.
The sustainably constructed bungalows are nestled into the jungle, not far from the hacienda’s private beach. They are exquisite when lit up at night. Guests can relax on the beach and participate in numerous activities and off-site excursions. Lounge in a hammock under the shade of the palapa (thatched beach hut), rejuvenate with an early morning yoga session, hike to some of the best outlooks in the area, admire the fiery sunset over the Pacific with a glass of wine, or explore the vast property and its environs.
Forest view rooms are refurbished, it includes a private plange pool and and evenning breeze bed, in 2016 all 15 bugalows will be refurbished and a SPA and new Yoga Platfrom will be added as well as 5-6 two beach from two bedrom suites.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Private 2 kms long white sand Beach
unique authentic Nicaraguan Experience
Private reserve and its own organicg garden on property
4000 acres property with only 15 bubgalows.
Morgan’s Rock is located at Playa Ocotal, 12 km northwest from the entrance to San Juan del Sur, at an approximate two and a half hour drive south of Managua and one and a half hour drive from Liberia airport in Costa Rica (without taking into consideration the time spent doing immigrations and customs and the border).
Key sites/activities in the area
The hacienda and private nature reserve offers an abundance of different trees, plants, birds, insects and mammals of which our guides are knowledgeable experts. Guests interest in Nicaragua’s nature, culture, reforestation and organic agriculture at the Hacienda helps spread the word about sustainable development and allows us to train more local people.
There are a variety of nature tours exploring the Hacienda’s different ecosystems such as primary tropical dry forest, secondary forest, hardwood plantations, pastures, the untouched beach and hills overlooking volcanoes, Lake Nicaragua, and the Paciﬁc Ocean. Additionally, the agro tourism based tours where guest can learn about reforestation and our own aquatic and organic farming practices.
We recommend guests to arrive first at the lodge and get a feeling of the place and the new environment and then choose the activities they want to participate in. It is best to see how they feel and what the local weather conditions are before signing up for tours.
• Private Beach.
• Hacienda on property with horses, organic farmin,
• Surfing, paddle boarding
• Soft Adventure, hikes, birdwatching.
• No kids corner, Morgan´s Rock is an ideal destination for those families that are looking to spend time together doing soft adventure activities such as mountain biking, horseback rideing, surfing, paddle boarding, breakfast at the farm.
• 15 spacious bungalows (90mt2) built with tropical woods acquired from responsibly managed logging sources or reforestation projects in Nicaragua, ensuring artistic yet ecologically responsible built bungalows. All have been soundly designed to offer shelter from rain, sun or wind, yet touching as little of the surrounding nature as possible. The stone walls, offering the base and the best support during the breezy season, are hand-cut and tailor-made slabs from volcanic stone. The copper piping in the showers and sinks were created and designed by the Architect Matthew Falkiner and by the German Engineer who built the suspension bridge.
• Each bungalow features a king size bed and a queen size sofa bed; a private deck/terrace with a hanging bed hammock, private bathroom with hot/cold shower (heated by solar panels). Due to conservation concerns and design our bungalows are cooled by ceiling fans or evening breeze beds.
• Maximum occupancy per bungalow: 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children/infants
Morgan’s Rock is an Eco Lodge in a remote wilderness setting. Bungalow access might require stair and path climbing and the crossing of a 100 meter suspension bridge; therefore we need advance notification regarding any inability to climb steps or to cross the bridge.
• The waters of our private beach are protected by a small extension of coastline. This shields the cove from high winds and makes for waves that are generally calm enough for children to play in safely. Parents can relax without worry in a lounge chair or hammock under a shady thatched awning on the beach while watching their kids boogie board, swim, surf, or build sand castles in the sun. With only fifteen bungalows and over a mile of sandy beach line, there’s plenty of space for kids to roam within eye-sight.
Restaurants & Bars
• Restaurant is called “La Bastide” The food and beverages served at the lodge are of high quality and in its majority produced on the farm locally or fished in the ocean in front of the hotel. Meals focus on fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh seafood, chicken and meat. We also offer a wide range of vegetarian meals and are able to accommodate to different dietary requirements. Meals are a la carte. The restaurant is a non-smoking area. Guests may smoke at the bar. The dress code is informal.
• Breakfast is served from 7:00 -10:00 a.m., lunch is served from 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. and dinner from 7:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m.
• Bar is called Commodore. Full service bar that offers local fruit juices, tropical cocktails, wines and spirits. Morgan´s Rock rates can be just breakfast, full board or half board
90 kms or hiking trails on the private reserve
400mts2 Yoga platform
SPA (Under construction)
Corporate & Celebration Events
400 mts2 with capacity to hold celebration events to 150 people
Extra Notable Features
Coffee Tasting Experiences
Fishing and Surfing.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence Hall of fame
Number of employees