Sofitel Legend Santa Clara Colombia
Sofitel Legend Santa Clara
Calle del Torno # 39-29 San Diego, Centro Histórico
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Nicolas Pesty
5 star luxury Hotel
Sofitel and its ambassadors connect the world with the French elegance of the brand through a collection of unique addresses, offering to our clients and associates a personalized service enriched with emotions and a passion for excellence.
Sofitel Legend Santa Clara
History & Story
Sofitel Legend Santa Clara features reinvented and innovative spaces, which recreate a tropical palace, the walls and ceilings retain the historical magic of the colonial area. We offer 124 guestrooms, including 25 Suites in which 4 are Iconic (Presidential Botero Suite, Amaral Suite, Junior Suite Legend Ana Mercedes de Hoyos & Enrique Grau Suite) with balconies or private terraces, finely decorated, overlooking the hotel’s interior or walls along the Caribbean Sea. Paying attention to the smallest detail of luxury and comfort, with a modern sound system and TV, butler service and French products in order to make your stay an unforgettable experience and a restful night of sleep.
2012 until 2016 with renovations in all the Hotel : Restaurants, Spa, Pool, rooms and maintainance to areas. New rooms and suites. Attached press release of the new Suites.
Date added extensions
2012 – 2016
Main Strengths, Special Touch
« Originally built as a convent in 1621, the Sofitel Legend Santa Clara hotel is a landmark nestled in the heart of Cartagena de Indias. »
Its walls, which acted as a defensive shield in the past, blend in with colonial balconies and republican buildings that evoke the splendor of bygone eras. In recognition of its cultural and architectural riches, the fortified city, with its castles and bastions, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984.
In the historic center, is the Sofitel Legend Santa Clara Cartagena, in San Diego Plaza, which is known for its basic structure as a checkerboard grid, similar to the squares of seventeenth – century European cities. Just 10 minutes away from Rafael Nuñez International Airport.
Key sites/activities in the area
– Walking Tour
– Shopping Tour
– Tastings (colombian coffe, wine, rum & chocolate, among others)
– Visit San Felipe Fortress
– Day Tour to Rosario Islands
– Sunset Sailing around the « Bahía »of Cartagena de Indias.
– Monthly events for guests and clients from the destination and abroad
– The Hotel is part of the main plaza events, such as Cartagena International Music Festival, FICCI, Literature Festival, among others.
– Development of Fam Trips and Press Trips
– Gastronomic and Healthy week yearly.
We accept families, only special programs for children during high season. Children with 12 years and older are considered as adults.
• Number of rooms in all: 124
• Classic Room:
12 rooms with 27 to 32 m2 (290 to 344 sq ft), located in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th floor of the 19th century Republican area with contemporary decor, with internal view. Equipped with shower or tub, Lanvin products, LCD TV, Bose® SoundDock®, Sofitel MyBed, Nespresso® machine and free WIFI.
• Superior room:
81 rooms with 34 m2 (366 sq ft) located in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th floor of the 19th century Republican area with contemporary décor surrounding pool, with balcony or terrace. Equipped with shower, Lanvin products, LCD TV, Bose® SoundDock®, Sofitel MyBed, Nespresso® machine and free WIFI.
• Luxury Room:
6 fifth-floor rooms with 34 m2 (366 sq ft) in the 19th century Republican area, with high ceilings, wooden beams, shower or tub, balcony, pool view and sea view (from balcony), Hermès amenities, LCD TV, Bose® SoundDock®, Sofitel MyBed, free WIFI, Nespresso® machine and butler service.
• Republican Junior Suite
5 Junior Suites with 70 m² / 753 Sqft, located on 5th floor of the 19th Century Republican area, with a living room, high ceilings , balcony with sea views. Equipped with Bose® SoundDock® + Home Theater, Hermès® products, LCD TV, Sofitel “MyBed®” ,free Wi-Fi, Nespresso® machine and butler service.
• Colonial Junior Suite:
5 Junior Suites with 40 to 47 m2 (430 to 506 sq ft), located in the 3rd & 5th floor of the 17th century Colonial district with views of the historic quarter streets. Equipped with tub or shower, Bose® SoundDock® + Home Theater, Hermès products, LCD TV, Sofitel MyBed, pillow menu, free WIFI, Nespresso® machine and butler service.
• Colonial Duplex Suite:
10 Duplex Suites with 61 to 80 m2 (656 to 861 sq ft), in the 3rd & 5th floor of the 17th century Colonial district with views of the historic quarter streets. Equipped with shower, Bose® SoundDock® + Home Theater, Hermès products, LCD TV, Sofitel MyBed, pillow menu, free WIFI, Nespresso® machine and butler service.
• Enrique Grau Suite
Located on the third floor of the republican area with a total space of 73 m2, distributed in two levels. In the first level, there is a pleasant social area with a large and full bathroom, in addition to the terrace overlooking the Caribbean Sea. On the second level, is the master bedroom with a full bathroom and whirlpool tub. In each space of the room there are sculptures, paintings, books and pictures of the life of the artist. Equipped with Bose®SoundDock® +, Hermès® products, LCD TV, Sofitel “MyBed®”, free WIFI, Nespresso® machine, private airport transfer in & out, VIP treatment and butler service.
• Junior Suite Legend Ana Mercedes Hoyos:
Junior Suite with 73 m2 (785 sq ft), located on the 5th floor in the Republican area with sea view. Equipped with tub and shower, Bose® SoundDock® + Home Theater, Hermès products, LCD TV, Sofitel MyBed, free WIFI, Nespresso® machine, private transfer airport/in & out, VIP treatment and butler service.
• Amaral Suite:
Suite with 188,58 m2 (2029 sq ft) of total space, located in the fifth floor of the republican zone conformed by two environments; One internal with a social area and separate room. The other room is a terrace with sea view, a deck with private Jacuzzi and pergola that shelters a large social area. It has the great advantage of integrating contiguously with one or two Luxury rooms through a hall. It offers private vehicle transfer to and from the airport, VIP treatment and butler service.
• Presidentiel Suite Fernando Botero:
Presidential Suite in the Colonial area with 147 m2 (1582 sq ft), on the 3rd floor with pool view. Equipped with tub and shower, Bose® SoundDock® + Home Theater, Hermès products, LCD TV, Sofitel MyBed, free WIFI, Nespresso® machine, private transfer airport/in & out, VIP treatment and butler service.
Restaurants & Bars
• El Jardín
Discover in the heart of the historic center of Cartagena de Indias, our emblematic Garden, surrounded by royal palms, native orchids, ferns from Cartagena and a variety of endemic plants. It is the ideal warm space where you can experience new sensations of freshness, tranquility and security with the ALLSAFE certification, while enjoying our gastronomic and beverage proposal under the sustainable, healthy and accessible concept.
• Boticario Bar
Remedies for the soul outdoor terrace • narguile & vip lounge.
From memorable epochs, when the Clarisses took care of the sick in the Santa Clara convent, until the corridors of the precincts became the hospital of Charity, Boticario (Apothecary) is created as the modern portrayal to heal your pleasure.
We prescribe clarified elixirs, potions and concoctions for you to expiate your sins, and where the stars are witnesses of the remedies for the soul.
• 1621 Restaurant:
Year in which the dining room of the Clarisas was opened, today is the space that combines old world culinary traditions, France, with the ingredients of the new world, to create a variety of flavors that conquers the luxury lovers. With an exquisite gourmet offer and a wide range of the best wines. The perfect mix between history, service and elegance. Chef: Daniel Padró, from Spain
• El Claustro Restaurant:
Were the former kitchens of the convent, therefore, remains latent and prevails the well or cistern of fresh water. A charming atmosphere with the traditional service Brasserie, the perfect place to enjoy an exquisite breakfast, lunch, dinner buffet and a la carte.
• El Coro Lounge Bar:
Keeps its original seventeenth-century design, shape and dimensions, combining the most acoustic and aesthetic criteria, making it an intriguing place, retains the magic and spirit of the traditional morning prayers of the Clarisas. Suitable to enjoy an exclusive cocktail menu highlighting our Mojito and wide variety of Martinis. To accompany our selection of cigars, enjoy the best tunes of Son Cubano, rhythms that bring to flourish the best of the Caribbean.
• Pool Bar:
An amazing place by the largest pool of the walled city. Enjoy the selection of cocktails, drinks and gourmet snacks.
Corporate & Celebration Events
The Santa Clara Hall is our place for big events. Its magic is unique, as it is possible to create in the same space many different s and dazzling scenarios, surprising those who visit it again and again. According to legend, the charm of this place is the combination of different energies that for centuries in it has vibrated. This offer is complemented with the sun lounges, Cattail, Moon and Poor Clares 1 and 2. To be in each of these rooms means getting in touch with the life of the Clarisas. In the past there were no ceiling windows, those built today allow attendees to enjoy an intimate place experience, while delighting with the view of the wall that lies on the Caribbean Sea.
Extra Notable Features
Butler, Clef D’Or Concierge, WiFi, Valet, Business Center, Fitness Center, Hotel-Airport Shuttle, Laundry.
• Weddings & Celebrations:
Known for its historic charm, romantic sunsets and tropical environments, Cartagena de Indias is the perfect setting for weddings and honeymoons. From wedding showers, rehearsal dinners, cocktail parties and wedding nights, Sofitel Legend Santa Clara sets the standard for unforgettable weddings in Cartagena. Leave all the details in the hands of the experts for your ceremonies and receptions.
• Well-being & Leisure:
A day at So SPA becomes a renewing experience combining wellness and relaxation. Ancient traditions of holistic treatments from around the world meet with the refinement and technique of French cosmetology to create So SPA, where the mind and spirit will follow the body by an exhilarating and rejuvenating experience. We have 8 modern and equipped cabins, fitness center, hammam, tea area, in combination with the use of the renowned French brand SISLEY.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
• 2020 Recommended Forbes Travel Guide
• 2020 Readers´ Choice Awards: Top 20 Hotels in South America, Position #1
• 2020 Readers´ Choice Awards: The Best Hotels in the World, Position #2
• 2020 The Top 10 City Hotels in Central & South America, 5th place./ Top 25 hotels brands around the world
• 2020 – South America’s Leading Hotel 2020
• 2020 – South America’s Leading Hotel Suite 2020: Grau Suite (World Travel Awards)
• Colombia’s Leading Hotel 2020 (World Travel Awards)
• 2019 Recommended Forbes Travel Guide
• 2019 Readers´ Choice Awards: 30 Best Hotels in South America
• 2019 The Top 10 City Hotels in Central & South America, 3rd place./ Top 25 hotels brands around the world
• 2019 – South America’s Leading Hotel Suite 2019: Grau Suite (World Travel Awards)
• – Colombia’s Leading Hotel 2019 (World Travel Awards)
• 2019 – Best Luxury Hotel Restaurant – Continent winner
• 2019 – Best Gourmet Cuisine – Continent winner
• 2019 – Best Luxury Romantic Destination Spa – South America
• 2019 – Top 25 best hotels in Colombia (Tripadvisor)
• 2019 – Top Best fine dining restaurant in Colombia (Tripadvisor)
• 2018 Recommended Forbes Travel Guide
• 2018 Readers´ Choice Awards: 50 Best Hotels in the World ranked in 14th position and number 1 in South America.
• 2018 The Top 10 City Hotels in Central & South America, 2nd place.
• 2018 – South America’s Leading Hotel Suite Grau (World Travel Awards)
• Colombia´s Leading Hotel (World Travel Awards)
• 2018 – South America’s Best Luxury Hotel restaurant
• 2018 – Colombia’s Best Hotel Spa
• 2018 – South America Luxury Historical Hotel Spa
• 2018 – Luxury historical hotel – Regional winner
– Luxury city hotel – Continent winner
• 2018 – Top 25 best hotels in Colombia (Tripadvisor)
• 2017 Luxury Travel Guide Global Awards (2 categories: Best hotel & Best Spa)
• Recommend by Forbes Travel Guide 2017
• Gold List – Conde Nast Traveler The best hotels in the world (2016)
• Colombia’s Leading Hotel 2016: Sofitel Legend Santa Clara Cartagena
• South America’s Leading Hotel Suite 2016: Fernando Botero Presidential Suite
• Colombia’s Leading Hotel Suite 2016: Presidential Suite Fernando Botero
• Best Historic Hotel in Colombia – World Luxury Awards 2016
• Tripadvisor Reader’s Choice Awards: “3rd Place – Top Hotels in Colombia”
• TripAdvisor Traveler’s: Top 25 best hotels in Colombia
• TripAdvisor Travelers´ Choice Green Leader Silver Level
• Best Sommelier in Colombia – La Barra Magazine
• 1621 Restaurant – Best romantic Atmosphere – World Luxury Restaurant Awards
• World Luxury Restaurant Award: Winner 2016 Continent South America: Fine Dining Cuisine
• World Luxury Restaurant Award: 2016 Finalist Country Colombia Restaurante 1621: Luxury Hotel Restaurant
• Wine Spectator – Award of Excellence 2016
• 1621 restaurant – Diner´s Choice Award_Fourth best Restaurant in Colombia – Tripadvisor
• So Spa – Continent Winner The Americas – Best Destination Spa – World Luxury Spa Awards 2016
• So Spa – Country winner – Best Spa Manager – World Luxury Spa Awards 2016
• So Spa – Continent winner – Best Hotel Spa – World Luxury Spa Awards 2016
• LUX “Hotel & Spa” Awards Winner of the LUX Hotel & Spa awards 2016
• World Spa Awards Latin America’s Best Hotel Spa 2016: So Spa
• World Spa Awards Colombia’s Best Hotel Spa 2016: So Spa
• CONDE NAST – Reader’s Choice Awards: “Top destination in Colombia”
• Travel + Leisure – “53 incredible destinations”
• World Travel Awards : Colombia’s Leading Hotel, South America’s Leading City Hotel & South America’s Leading Hotel Suite Botero
• Elite Traveler Magazine : Top 100 Suites in the world “Botero Presidential Suite”
• World Luxury Spa Awards Winner: So Spa at Sofitel Legend Santa Clara
• Wine Spectator: 1621 Restaurant, Award of Excellence (2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015)
Number of employees