Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa Costa Rica
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
13 Km. North-West of La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal, Alajuela
Date of Creation
April 13, 1993. Tabacon opened as a day destination. Finally, in late 1997, the hotel was inaugurated.
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Marcel Stittner. Over the last two decades, he has honed his skills in management and food & beverage operations at world-wide hotel chains such as Starwood Hotels & Resorts and InterContinental Hotels Group, managing five-star resort properties in destinations that include Venezuela, Maldives, Germany, the United States, and most recently, Mexico and Costa Rica. In addition, he speaks German, English and Spanish.
The hotel is a member of Small Luxury Hotel of the World and has a five-star designation from the Costa Rican Tourism Institute. It has also been certified with 5 leaves (out of 5) in the Costa Rica Sustainability in Tourism Program (CST)
TABACON THERMAL RESORT & SPA
History & Story
Our story is the one of a nature lover that became a legend in Arenal. Costa Rican born Jaime Mikowski was a trained and board-certified architect involved in projects that ranged from low-income housing developments to single-family luxury homes. Mr. Mikowski had a knack for thinking outside the box. His hobbies and life interests led him to distinctive personal goals that included running coffee farms, starting Costa Rica’s first vineyard, launching a solar water heating company, and designing hotels all over the country.
In the late 1980s, Jaime fell in love with a property at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano, where a stream of hot springs ran through a marsh and grasslands. He convinced the local owners to sell him a share of the company that owned the land and spent the next few months persuading friends to invest with him on a wellness spa concept developed around the idea of a natural encounter.
In January 1991, the original Tabacon pools and restaurant complex closed for a complete make-over, which took more than two years. Mr. Mikowski’s project aimed to reforest the existing pastures that surrounded the pools and restaurant.
The river was given some form so as to transform the marshlands and have them resemble what it could have been like before the cows grazed here lands, decades prior. The pristine thermal waters now flowed into waterfalls, cascading pools and hidden bathing spots. Mr. Mikowski planted acres of native flora, which gave way to Tabacon’s beautiful botanical gardens. The restaurant and kitchen were expanded, locker rooms were added, a small spa was built and, on April 13, 1993, Tabacon opened as a day destination. Finally, in late 1997, the hotel was inaugurated, with 42 comfortable guest rooms. This marked the official beginning of Arenal as an international destination. And travelers around the world responded quickly, once word of Arenal’s unique beauty got out.
Tabacon is set on more than 900 acres of lush tropical reserve, home to Costa Rica’s largest network of naturally flowing hot springs. Tabacon offers 103 luxurious guest rooms and suites; two restaurants; four bars and a world-class spa.
The most recent room renovations were completed in November 2017. The property continuously innovates products, services as well as maintenance.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
- Tabacon Thermal Experience (Costa Rica largest network of naturally flowing hot springs)
The Tabacón experience centers on the hot thermo-mineral springs that are exquisitely landscape to form natural pools and cascades in the heart of the forest. The river flows naturally through carefully planned tropical gardens that feature over 200 species of plants and flowers. The main sunbathing and swimming area features designed pools with temperatures ranging from 25 to 50 degrees Celsius (77 to 122 F), the main one with a swim up bar and thermal water slide. Additionally, a series of natural pools are strategically located amidst gardens to provide a break after a walk on the trails.
- Shangri-La Gardens
It is a lush luxury private section exclusive for adult hotel guests located in a secluded area in the upper part of the mineral spring’s complex. Shangri-La Gardens offers six natural thermal mineral spring pools heated naturally by the nearby Arenal Volcano. In addition, this area is catered by a private bar, and offers cocoon and day beds for privacy and relaxation. Exclusive for guests 18+.
- The Spa at Tabacon
Memorable spa treatments are rendered in outdoors bungalows tucked away among the trees, gardens and natural hot springs. The setting offers complete privacy, which key in order to achieve the desired state of peace and balance.
In the heart of the Costa Rican rainforest at the base of Arenal Volcano. Tabacón is located in the northern region of Costa Rica. The property encompasses the renowned Tabacon Thermal River, and spans over 872 acres of primary and secondary rainforest.
Key sites/activities in the area
Over 40 different adventure, nature & wellness activities are available near by the hotel as nature hiking on trails and suspended bridges, whitewater rafting in different rivers and levels, zip lines, waterfall rappelling, hanging bridges, volcano hiking, nature cruises, kayaking, windsurfing, lake fishing, volunteer work and more.
We also have a world class spa where guest can enjoy any treatment or massage, our spa is one of the world’s most beautiful locations – thermal mineral springs and tropical gardens set in the Costa Rican rainforest at the base of Arenal Volcano – to offer an unparalleled spa experience. Treatments are rendered in open-air bungalows, all with Jacuzzi, at Tabacón taps surrounded by hot springs and nature.
We do have 4 bars with a wide selection of cocktails & coffees.
No kids club is available however we do offer baby sitter service (extra cost), there is also a slide in the main pool of the thermal resort for the children to have fun. The natural thermal river coming from the heart of the volcano, is by its self an unforgettable experience for children.
Shangri-La Gardens is an exclusive area for guests older than +18 years old
Guest rooms feature Costa Rican woods & beautiful furnishings hand-crafted by Costa Rican artisans. Rooms overlook gardens, the forest or the volcano. They feature cable television, safe deposit boxes, minibars, tea & coffee selection, 42” – 50’’ flat screen TV, Wi-Fi, king bed or two queen beds. Bathrooms include bathrobes, bath toiletries & hair dryers. Connecting rooms available on request.
- Number of suites:22
- Number of regular rooms:81
- Number of rooms, (keys) in all:103
Orchid rooms: Experience a vast open space with unobstructed views of the exterior tropical setting magnificently complemented by a modern interior with colorful décor. The bathroom features a rainforest shower surrounded by natural light. Additionally, a cozy living area invites relaxation.
Rainforest rooms: This elegant and distinctive rooms seamlessly blend indoor luxury with an outdoor terrace overlooking the native tropical landscape. All these rooms feature king beds, with a pullout sofa bed. Bathroom includes a two-person bathtub and a separate glass-enclosed shower.
Tabacon Suites: These are our largest single room category, offering a spacious, luxurious setting & impressive views of the rainforest. The suites include one king bed or two full beds and a sofa bed. An extensive seating and dining area will be part of your experience. Connecting suites available on request. ft.)
Honeymoon Suites: Ideal for romance, the best choice for those celebrating a honeymoon, anniversary or a special occasion with your love one. The natural beauty of the rainforest and impressive views of Arenal Volcano will be the perfect complement for a scene full of magic and passion. This suite features a king size canopy bed and in-room Jacuzzi for 2.
Tabacon Suite Two bedroom: With expansive space, supreme comfort and elevated design for complete harmony between the natural outdoors and the indoor setting, this suite envelops guests with views of the beautiful rainforest. This two-bedroom suite includes a master bedroom with dining and resting area, an ultra-comfortable king bed plus a secondary bedroom with two full beds.
Senator Suites: This exclusive suite combines extensive space, extraordinary comfort and exquisite design in one thoughtful setting. Ideal for families seeking more spacious accommodations, with a dining and living room included for an unforgettable experience. Sleeping areas include a master bedroom with a king bed and terrace or balcony overlooking the impressive rainforest, the second bedroom has two full beds. A beautifully appointed master bathroom features an in-room Jacuzzi and separate glass-enclosed shower.
Restaurants & Bars
- Ave del Paraíso Restaurant: Tabacón’s casual dining restaurant, features a light and traditional a la carte lunch menu and a dinner buffet. Daily buffet breakfast includes eight stations that feature fresh cut tropical fruits, made to order eggs and omelets, hand tossed tortilla and “chorreadas”, cold cut and cheese selections and others.
- Los Tucanes Restaurant: It is our gourmet restaurant with an intimate, open-air atmosphere located on the hotel grounds. A la carte dinner is served nightly with an international menu that features local ingredients and inspired recipes that combine traditional Costa Rican cooking with trans-national favorites.
- Arenal Pool Bar: The resort’s original swim up pool bar is located at the main pool in the thermal spring’s area. The lively atmosphere will keep you entertained throughout the day and late into the night. Our mixologists have created a tropical cocktail menu featuring blended tropical fruits and liqueurs.
- Caña Brava Bar: The lobby bar, offers drinks, light meals and snacks with a view of the tropical gardens, located next to the hotel’s front desk.
- Shangri-La Gardens Bar: A special option to enjoy a snack or cocktail in our adults only hideaway.
- Costa Rica’s largest network of naturally flowing hot springs.
- The thermal springs and the tropical gardens at Tabacón are unique in the Arenal Region and
unparalleled in the World with over 20 natural hot springs pools and waterfalls that emerge from Arenal Volcano
- The main sunbathing and swimming area features designed pools with temperatures ranging from 25 to 50 degrees Celsius (77 to 122 F), the main one with a swim up bar and thermal water slide.
- Shangri-La Gardens is a lush luxury private section exclusive for adult hotel guests located in a secluded area in the upper part of the mineral spring’s complex. Shangri-La Gardens offers six natural thermal mineral spring pools heated naturally by the nearby Arenal Volcano.
- Award-winning spa where treatments are rendered in open-air bungalows all with Jacuzzi, surrounded by hot springs and nature.
- Every spa treatment is preceded by a Tabacón signature spa ritual promoting a state of complete relaxation. The ritual includes a selection of teas, smoothies, and an opportunity to unwind in the relaxation room with its mineral water Jacuzzi.
- World-Class cuisine inspired in local fares.
- The Fitness Center is equipped with LifeCycle cardio equipment, circuit training machines, free weights and exercise balls.
Corporate & Celebration Events
- Tropical weddings can be arranged at various locations at the resort including the spa, hot springs, gardens and the rainforest. A wedding coordinator is on-hand to manage all details for a perfect destination wedding.
- Tabacon´s meeting space combine the comfort of the indoor space with the beauty of the open-air areas overlooking impressive views of exuberant rainforest and rushing hot springs, preserving the resort philosophy of bringing nature into our guests’ experience
- The multipurpose room can accommodate up to 120 guests in theater style or 60 guests in banquet style.
- We offer a vast network of suppliers for a creative, memorable event.
- Our meetings and incentives team is trained to cater to every need and experienced to plan and celebrate any type of event.
- Function spaces including private bungalows, open-air restaurants and garden areas
- Banquet staff and menus featuring local cuisine
- MICE professionals offering personalized advice
- Complimentary Wi-Fi and valet parking
- Audiovisual equipment rental
- Additional services on request
Hotel and Restaurant Awards
Trip Advisor – Travellers Choice Awards
-Top 25 Hotels in Costa Rica (#13)
Top 25 Hotels in Central America (#16)
Trip Advisor – Certificate of Excellence, 2017
Organic Spa Magazine (Wellness Travel Guide)
– Best for International Thermal Mineral Springs & Healing Waters
Trip Advisor, Travelers`s Choice 2017
– Top 25 Hotels — Costa Rica (#15)
Spa & Wellness Mexicaribe
-The Best Spas of Mexico, The Carribean & Latin American
Condé Nast Traveler – Readers’ Choice Awards 2017
– Top Resorts in Central America (#8)
“Best of +VIP Access” Expedia
– Best +VIP Access hotel
Wellness Travel Awards 2016
– Best for Hot Springs
Condé Nast Traveler – Readers’ Choice Awards 2016
– Top Resorts in Central & South America (#13)
Trip Advisor – Traveler’s Choice Awards, 2016
– Top 25 Hotels in Costa Rica
World Luxury Spa Awards, 2016 Continent Winner
– The Americas: Best Luxury Mineral Spring Spa
– The Americas: Best Luxury Day Spa
World Luxury Spa Awards, 2016 Country Winner
– Costa Rica: Best Luxury Destination Spa
– Costa Rica: Best Luxury Resort Spa
World Travel Awards 2016
– México & Central America´s Leading Green Hotel
Travel + Leisure 2016
– Best International Destination Spa #3
Number of employees