Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht The Netherlands
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
Prinsengracht 587, 1016 HT Amsterdam
Hyatt Hotels Corporation
Date of Creation
29 October 2012
Hotel General Manager
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht is under the leadership of General Manager Ben Wozny.
Luxury five-star Boutique Lifestyle Hotel
On the 29 of October 2012, Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht opened its doors as the first Hyatt hotel in the Netherlands and the ninth addition to the Andaz brand. Represented in world-class cities such as London, New York and Shanghai, Andaz is making its mark in the cultural heart of vibrant Amsterdam, signifying the first step in the expansion of the brand into continental Europe.
Future Andaz properties soon to be opened: Bali, Delhi, Mayakoba, Munich, Ottawa, Palm Strings, Sanya Sunny Bay, Scottsdale and Singapore.
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
History & Story
Our five-star Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht boutique hotel beats with the same heart as its background, the fair city of Amsterdam. Here renowned Dutch designer, Marcel Wanders, took the once unremarkable, former library building, and embarked on a mission to unleash the rich and fantastical history of the Netherlands through design. In the end, he created a fertile ground where ideas are easily born and the polarities of old and new, raw and the beautifully finished blend to put a new edge on any perspective. There are no barriers, only opportunities to connect with the like-minded and explore the sights, sounds and tastes of our home, the historic center of Amsterdam’s eclectic Jordaan district, known for its forward fashion, acclaimed art and vibrant cafes.
Once a plain public library overlooking the Prinsengracht (Prince’s Canal), Andaz Amsterdam has been entirely transformed by Dutch architect and renowned designer Marcel Wanders,reflecting a modern and adventurous view of Dutch history and local culture.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
– Surrounded by the iconic canal ring which was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2010 and situated in the historical and vibrant heart of Amsterdam.
– Entire hotel interior designed by renowned Dutch designer Marcel Wanders.
– A vibrant hotel experience that is part of the local culture, fueling our guests’ creativity and inspiring
them to express their their own personal style.
– An environment without barriers, offering friendly and accommodating spaces that invite our guests to move seamlessly from one unique experience to the next.,
– The Andaz inclusions, such as complimentary snacks and non-alcoholic drinks from the minibar, local phone calls, wifi and impromptu drinks in the lounge including a cup of coffee or tea throughout the day and a glass of wine in the evening.
Although recently opened in 2012, Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht is already full of history with its unique
location on the Prinsengracht, the site of the city’s former Public Library. The Prinsengracht is part of the iconic ring of canals that was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2010, which puts our hotel right in the bustling heart of the city.
Surrounded by the creative scene and dynamic spirit of the Jordaan district and adjacent Nine Streets, the hotel’s charming neighborhood is filled with Amsterdam’s main art galleries, unique specialty shops, trendy fashion boutiques, and stylish restaurants.
Key sites/activities in the area
It is no secret that Amsterdam is home to pockets of cultural neighbourhoods with different experiences to offer. It is also no secret that our boutique hotel is perfectly located in the middle of all of the fun, as we are adjacent to the quirky and historic “Negen Straatjes” (Nine Streets) neighbourhood, and only steps away from entertainment happening in the city centre, making it an ideal starting point for your unique Amsterdam experience.
See various sites and immerse yourself in Amsterdam’s rich history by taking time to visit the Anne Frank House, Wester Church, Royal Palace, and the Red Light District. You could also visit some of the city’s most famous museums located in the vicinity of the hotel, such as the Stedelijk Museum, Rijksmuseum or Van Gogh Museum. Amsterdam is a city of art and design, and is also home to various theatres and cinemas.
Our Andaz hosts have all the knowledge of the local area to make our boutique hotel the perfect home base for your explorations in Amsterdam.
• The building that holds to the hotel is that of the former Public Library of Amsterdam. The library was there from 1977 until 2007 when it was relocated to Oosterdokseiland. This heritage informs the design direction with books both physical and deconstructed forming the look and feel.
• First hotel in the world that solely focuses on video art and showcase a permanent collection of 50 unique works throughout the hotel.
• The hotel consists of two building in between two canals: the Prinsengracht (Prince’s canal) and the Keizersgracht (Emperor’s canal) which are connected by a charming silent garden.
• In 2013 Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht has been awarded with the Green Globe Certification, the premier global certification for sustainability. In 2014 and 2015 the hotel has been re-certified.
• At Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht we give dogs a warm welcome. No matter your reason of visit, rest assured that your furry friend will enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay with our special Very Important Dog programme.
Treat your family to an authentic, local experience that makes them feel inspired, encouraged, and connected. With discounts on a second room for children 12 years and under there is plenty of room for everyone. On top, we will spoil the young guests with a special check-in, non-alcoholic mini bar and little gift. For the little ones under the age of three, enjoy the benefits of our « Very Important Baby » (V.I.B.) programme. We will make sure to welcome your baby with all necessities to make its stay comfortable, from a baby bath, baby crib and special baby care products to some fun toys and special cutlery. When reservations are made in advance, we also offer a babysitting service.
• Experience comfort and sophistication in one of the hotel’s 122 stylish designed rooms, including 5 suites.
• With rooms ranging from 24 sq m (258 sq ft) to 36 sq m (387 sq ft) and suites measuring from 55 sq m (592 sq ft) to 141 sq m (1,517 sq ft), the hotel is home to some of the largest guestrooms in compact Amsterdam.
• Featuring an artistically Dutch décor with small custom details you are welcomed to an open-plan room concept that provides you with all the comforts of home, such as complimentary snacks and non-alcoholic drinks from the mini-bar, local phone calls and Wi-Fi, as well as, plush robes and slippers, and upscale local bath products. Or enjoy the Geneva sound system with iPod™ dock and a 42-inch TV featuring international cable programme.
• Depending on the location of the room, you will revel in impeccable views of the creatively landscaped garden (Garden View Rooms) or the iconic Prinsengracht (Canal View Rooms)
• The hotel has three signature suites: the Andaz Suite, Andaz Large Suite and the one-of-a-kind 141-sq m Prinsengracht Suite, boosting a 33-sq m roof terrace.
Restaurants & Bars
• Bluespoon Restaurant
The rules of traditional fine dining disappear at Bluespoon Restaurant, where everything is in service of the most important aspect of food: taste. In the social heart of our hotel, the restaurant serves uncomplicated European flavours with a Dutch edge. Chef Kasper Stiekema creates rustic, seasonal dishes with locally produced ingredients.
• Bluespoon Bar
In the style of a typical Amsterdam café, Bluespoon Bar exudes an intimate speak-easy atmosphere overlooking the iconic Prinsengracht. Located in the vibrant heart of the lobby, it is the perfect location for any time of the day: for a cup of tea, afternoon snack or entertaining evening. Besides an extensive cocktail menu, Bluespoon Bar presents a wide variety of bar food. The selection of typical Dutch snacks is a must-try.
• The Spa
– A visit to the Spa will be your perfect retreat.
– A place to just be and be well, offering high-impact, results-oriented treatments tailor-made to your physiology, using the prestigious product ranges of June Jacobs and REN.
– Finish your wellness experience with complimentary use of the fully equipped gym, sauna, rain showers, relaxation area and luxurious amenities.
• The Fitness
– Pursue an active lifestyle during your stay in Amsterdam.
– From state-of-the-art cardio to free weights, you will be able to enjoy a total body workout to energise and recharge your spirit.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht offers the Andaz Studios. A variety of 5 distinct venues, totally 550 square metres of flexible space, and suite for corporate, private and wedding celebrations.
• Breathing a home-like ambiance, the Studios provide the style, comfort and state-of-the-art technology for inspired and productive gatherings.
• Complimentary wireless Internet, a built-in coffee maker, refrigerator and storage spaces are facilitated in each room.
Extra Notable Features
• Andaz GM’s Run: Join general manager Toni Hinterstoisser during his weekly morning run of approximately 5 kilometers on Wednesday.
• Video Art: Experience the vibrancy of Amsterdam by exploring our unique, dynamic video art collection, comprising 50 unique works, ranging from young talents and established names to a few carefully selected international masters, such as Ryan Gander, Erwin Olaf and Mark Titchner.
• Bike and Picnic like a Local: Biking through Amsterdam is the best way to enjoy and explore what the city has to offer. Our special Andaz bikes will have you roaming the canals like a true local and to create that perfect little dining atmosphere wherever you end up pedaling, we have you covered with our Bluespoon picnic basket.
• Boating: Looking out onto the Prinsengracht or ‘Prince’s canal’, our hotel is the perfect starting point from which to begin your boating adventure and there are plenty of options in the vicinity. And feel like enjoying a drink or small bite while cruising the beautiful canals? Our chefs are completely at your disposal with our special Bluespoon on Board menu.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
2017 Best 5 Star Hotel in the Netherlands – Trivago
2016 Best New Hotel in the World – Travel + Leisure India Best Awards
2016 #2 in Top Hotels in Amsterdam – Condé Nast Traveler Reader’s Choice Award
2016 Travellers’ Choice winner – TripAdvisor
2016 One of the 5 Best Hotels to stay in The Netherlands – TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Winner
2016 Top Choice Hotel by Lianorg.com
2015 One of the 25 Best Hotels in Europe – Condé Nast Traveler Reader’s Choice Award
2015 Best Hotel in Amsterdam – Condé Nast Traveler Reader’s Choice Award
2015 Best Luxury Hotel in the Netherlands – TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Winner.
2014 Award of Excellence – Booking.com
2014 Best in Stay Elite Award – Orbitz
2014 Best Design Hotel Award – Jetsetter
2014 Insiders’ Select Winner – Expedia
2014 Green Globe Certification
2014 11 Best New Cocktail bars – Esquire Magazine
2014 Hotel of the Year – GaultMillau
Number of employees