Ashford Castle Ireland
Cong, Co. Mayo. Ireland
Red Carnation Hotel Collection
Date of Creation
1939 opened as a luxury hotel, was built in 1228.
Hotel General Manager
Niall Rochford ~ 30 years senior management experience in luxury hotels, 19 years of which are spent at Ashford Castle.
5 star luxury resort, Ireland’s only Forbes 5 star hotel.
History & Story
Through the grand stone gates, your royal adventure begins. This remarkable 800-year-old castle, widely recognised as Ireland’s top castle destination and once home to the Guinness family, is exceptional in every sense. Set in 350 acres of woodland on the shores of Lough Corrib in County Mayo, the multi-award winning property has been voted ‘Best Hotel in the World’.
Last renovation completed in 2015 – $100 US dollars spent on the restoration.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
13th Century castle, oldest castle hotel in Ireland.
Ashford Castle is located on a 350 acre estate on the northern shores of Lough Corrib, 45 minutes drive north of the medieval city of Galway. Cong is situated on an island formed by a number of streams that surround it on all sides. Cong is located on the isthmus connecting Loughs Corrib and Mask, near the towns of Headford and Ballinrobe and the villages of Clonbur, the Neale and Cross.
Cong is known for its underground streams that connect Lough Corrib with Lough Mask to the north.
Key sites/activities in the area
Near 30 activities on site.
Golf on nine hole course – complimentary green fees for residents. 2 all waether Tennis courts which are complimentary for guests. Falconry. Boat Cruise. Fishing. Horse Riding. Archery. Clay Pigeon Shooting. Tree Climbing. Zip lining. Kayaking, Stand Up Paddle Boarding . Daily walk with our resident Wolfhounds, Spa. Fitness Studio. Cinema.
80 years of hospitality – opened as a castle in 1939.
80 years of service in all departments between 2 or 3 team members.
Very child friendly, welcome children of all ages.
• Number of suites: 6
1 Presidential Suite ~ Duplex Suite, king size four poster bed, views of the lake, Lough Corrib
4 Suites ~ one bedroom Suite, King bed, main bathroom and separate shower room, sitting room area, some have views of the garden and lake, Lough Corrib or the river
1Hideaway Cottage ~ stand alone one bedroom cottage, converted boatshed from the Guinness era, located on the shores of Lough Corrib, five minute walk from the castle, secluded and gated area.
• Number of Luxury rooms: 77
6 Staterooms ~ located in the original part of the castle, contain a lot of the original features such as 15ft high ceilings, original fireplaces which are now working gas fires, feature king beds, sitting area within the bedroom, most of the rooms have views of the gardens and lake, Lough Corrib
7 Junior Staterooms ~ feature king bed, sitting area within the bedroom, smaller in floor space than the Stateroom, rooms have views either of the garden and lake, Lough Corrib of the river
5 Deluxe Queen Rooms ~ these rooms have two queen beds and accommodate our families of two adults and two children under 12 years. Have views of the garden and lake, Lough Corrib
10 Lake View Deluxe Rooms ~ king bed room, arm chair within room, larger floor space than the Corrib room, views of the garden and lake, Lough Corrib
9 Deluxe Rooms ~ king bed room, arm chair within room, larger floor space than the Corrib room
19 Corrib Lake View ~ king feature bed, lead in room category, views of the garden and lake, Lough Corrib
21 Corrib room ~ king feature bed, lead in room category
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 83 bedrooms in total
Restaurants & Bars
The Spa at Ashford Castle was awarded ‘Ireland’s Best Hotel Spa’ in 2020 for the 5th year in a row by World Spa Awards and we were also voted ‘Best in Sustainability’ in the 2019 Irish Tatler Awards. We are dedicated to restoring beauty and balance through treatments and spa journeys, personalised for each of our guests by exceptionally skilled therapists. Our commitment to wellbeing focuses on essential ancient wisdom with modern expertise. Our guests leave feeling nurtured, purified, pampered and relaxed.
• Relaxation Pool, 5 treatment rooms including a couples treatment room, Hamamm, Steam Room, Relaxation Room, Fitness Studio, Manicure and Pedicure Room, Hair Salon.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Extra Notable Features
• Billiards Room, Cinema, Authentic Wine Cellar , Wolfhounds that go for a daily walk on the estate that resident.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
*Ashford Castle is a Travel + Leisure 2021 T+L 500 hotel
*Forbes Travel Guide – Sharecare Health Security VERIFIED® – 2021
*Forbes Travel Guide – Awarded Five Stars – 2021 ( Ireland’s only hotel)
Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards – Voted No. 4 in Resort Hotel in Europe – 2020
• Travel + Leisure ‘World’s Best’ Awards – Voted No. 1 in Top 10 Resort Hotels in the UK and Ireland – 2020
• Wine Spectator – Best of Award of Excellence for George V Dining Room – 2020
• Forbes Travel Guide – Awarded Five Stars – 2020
Ireland Best Hotel Spa –World Spa Awards 2020
Green Hospitality – Ashford Estate awarded Gold for Best Practice – 2019
• Hotel & Catering Review – Gold Medal Awards – Ireland’s Five Star Resort – 2019
• Hotel & Catering Review – Gold Medal Awards – Ireland’s Wine Experience – 2019
• Irish Tatler Awards – Best in Sustainability: The Spa at Ashford Castle – 2019
• Irish Tatler Awards – Connacht Spa of the Year: The Spa at Ashford Castle – 2019
• Irish Tatler Awards – Ultimate Service Ambassador: Michelle Ryan at The Spa at Ashford Castle – 2019
• Travel + Leisure ‘World’s Best’ Awards – Voted No. 3 in Top 10 Resort Hotels in the U.K. and Ireland – 2019
• TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards – Voted No. 4 Luxury Hotel in Ireland – 2019
• TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards – Voted No. 8 Hotel for Romance in Ireland – 2019
*Hotel & Catering Review Gold Medal Awards – Ireland’s Wine Experience – 2018
• Global Spa & Wellness Awards – Best Spa Runner Up – 2018
• TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards – Voted in the Top 25 Hotels in Ireland – 2018
• TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards – Voted in the Top 25 Luxury Hotels in Ireland – 2018
• TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards – Voted in the Top 25 Hotels for Service in Ireland – 2018
• TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards – Voted in the Top 25 Hotels for Romance in Ireland – 2018
• U.S. News & World Report Best Hotels – Ranked No. 3 in Ireland – 2018
• U.S. News & World Report Best Hotels – Ranked No. 33 in Europe – 2018
• World Spa Awards Ireland’s Best Hotel Spa – 2017
• Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards – Voted No. 9 in the Top 30 Resorts in Europe – 2017
• AA Awards – George V Dining Room – Awarded Notable Wine list Award – 2017
• Travel + Leisure ‘World’s Best’ Awards – Voted No. 2 Best Resort Hotels in the United Kingdom and Ireland
•Travel + Leisure ‘World’s Best’ Awards – Voted No. 59 Top 100 Hotels in the World – 2017
• AA Hospitality Awards – Awarded Hotel of the Year – Ireland – 2017
• TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards – Voted No. 11 Best Service in Ireland – 2017
• National Hospitality Awards – Voted Best Resort Hotel -2016
Number of employees
400 on the Ashford Estate