Ballynahinch Castle Hotel Ireland
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Recess, Connemara, Co Galway. H91F4AF, Ireland
Date of Creation
1946 hotel opened. 2014 current owners bought the property.
Hotel General Manager
Luxury 4 star hotel located on a 700 acre estate in Connemara, on Ireland’s west coast.
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
History & Story
Ballynahinch Castle & Estate has been central to the history of Connemara for over 600 years and has had many very interesting owners over the centuries including a Pirate Princess, the founders of the RSPCA and an Indian Maharajah. It opened as a hotel in 1946 and today we are considered one of the finest castle hotels in Ireland.
2021, the redecoration of 10 bedrooms will be completed in November by Bryan O’Sullivan Studio, the London based designer. There has been continual investment in the property since the current owners purchased the hotel in 2014 with further renovations planned for 2022.
Date added extensions
2015 the hotel added 6 additional luxury rooms, overlooking the river.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The majority of guest rooms enjoy views of the river. Our people are one of our many strengths, with many of our team with us for over 15 years.
Located on a 700-acre estate in the heart of Connemara surrounded by rivers, lakes & mountains. Many visitors to the hotel never leave the estate as we have so much to offer our guests onsite but for those who wish to explore a little further Clifden & Roundstone are both a 15 minute drive from the hotel.
Galway city is a one hour drive.
Key sites/activities in the area
On site activities include over 10km of scenic walking trails, fly fishing, clay shooting and complimentary bicycle hire along with a guided historical walk of the estate. Locally we have a boat trip on Roundstone Bay where guests can explore a deserted island, try their hand at lobster fishing and hopefully see dolphins & seals swimming along side the boat. We have some of the best hiking in Ireland on our doorstep with guides available.
Other local attractions include Connemara National Park, Kylemore Abbey & The Sky Road with it’s spectacular views along The Wild Atlantic Way.
The 2008 movie Marley & Me was filmed in Connemara with the cast & crew staying at Ballynahinch Castle.
Eric Clayton when staying on a fishing holiday entertained guests with his singing & guitar playing.
Our superior rooms are suitable for families and can accommodate two adults & two children. We also have interconnecting rooms.
• 3 Riverside Suites with bedroom & sitting room both overlooking the river. They also enjoy a dressing room and bathroom and bathroom with walk in shower & separate bath.
• 2 luxury exclusive use properties/villas are located on the estate, a three minute walk from the hotel. Lettery Lodge is a five bedroom property, all rooms en-suite over 650 sq meters while Owenmore Cottage has six bedrooms & 3 bathrooms and is over 280 sq meters.
• 14 luxury rooms with views of the river, a dressing room and bathroom with king or twin beds.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 48 bedrooms & suites & 2 villas.
In addition to the suites & luxury rooms the hotel has 21 classic rooms and 10 superior rooms.
Restaurants & Bars
• The Owenmore Restaurant – There are few restaurants in Ireland that enjoy an aspect as spectacular as the Owenmore Restaurant, with its magnificent views of the river & woodland and one of the finest Irish art collections from Jack B. Yeats to Louis le Brocquy. Seasonal menus reflect the larder of Connemara and the produce from our walled garden.
• The Fisherman’s Pub & Ranji Room – With it’s open log fires and relaxed atmosphere guests can enjoy the best of local & seasonal produce from lunch through dinner but in a less formal setting.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Ballynahinch is the perfect destination for your private house party, from special occasions, a company launch or your wedding Ballynahinch can be exclusively yours for a minimum of 100 guests to a maximum of 140 guests.
Extra Notable Features
• In addition to our on site activities we also offer private guided art tours, foraging tours and history talks. We also have private whiskey & gin tastings.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Travel & Leisure Top 500 Hotels in The World 2021
• Top 10 Resort Hotels in the UK & Ireland by Travel & Leisure 2020
• Voted #3 Hotel in Ireland by Condé Nast Readers 2020
• AA Two Rosette 2020
• Top 10 Resort Hotels in the UK & Ireland 2019 by Travel & Leisure
• Voted #5 Hotel in Ireland by Condé Nast Readers 2019
• AA Two Rosette 2019
Number of employees