Baumanière les Baux de Provence France
Baumanière les Baux de Provence
Mas de Carita
Privately owned by Jean-André Charial
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Jean-André Charial : little son of the creator of Baumaniere.
In 1970, he starts as apprentice in the kitchen and works with the most famous French Chefs : Troisgros, Chapel, Haeberlin, Bocuse, Girardet…
Owner of : Le Prieuré in Villeneuve-lez-Avignon and le Strato restaurant in Courchevel.
5-star Luxury Hotel, member of Relais & Châteaux
BAUMANIÈRE LES BAUX DE PROVENCE
History & Story
Le Mas de Baumanière was built in 1634 in Les Alpilles, at the entrance of « le Val d’Enfer » where Dante, as the legend says, found his inspiration for the hell of his divine comedy.
When Raymond Thuilier opened his country inn in 1945, the village of Les Baux-de-Provence was a ghost town. To make it possible for guests to reach him and then continue on their way, he had petrol pump placed at the entrance of Baumanière. Georges Pompidou, who was Deputy Commissioner for Tourism at the time, did not fail to point out the audacity of the undertaking. “Whereas all the great French restaurants were located along the edge of the N7, the national highway that everyone took to reach the Riviera, my grandfather, as a true visionary, went off into the wilds of Les Alpilles and invented a new art of living there, a different concept of luxury.
L’Oustau de Baumanière was the muse for the Relais & Châteaux hotel association, which was founded much later.” says Jean-André Charial. At the beginning, Baumanière was just a restaurant, and year after year, rooms were added, so that clients may stay in this retreated area. Baumanière had his first star in the Michelin Guide in 1949, the second one in 1952 and the third one in 1954 (the third one has been retracted in 1990).
In 1954, l’Oustau became a member of Relais & Chateaux. In 1969, Thuilier called on his grandson JeanAndré Charial to join him. In preparation, Charial, who had just graduated from HEC, set off on a grand tour of culinary apprenticeships with Alain Chapel, Troisgros, Bocuse, Haeberlin and Fredy Girardet.
Charial came to l’Oustau de Baumanière to work with his grandfather in 1970, and began to take over the operation in the 1980’s.
Thuilier, who always said he would like «to die at his stove as long as it wouldn’t interrupt the service», passed away in 1993.
In 2015, Jean-André and Geneviève Charial celebrated the seventieth anniversary of Baumanière. La Cabro d’Or and L’Oustau de Baumanière merged into one hotel complex : Baumanière Les Baux de Provence. A new Head Chef, Glenn Viel, arrives in L’Oustau de Baumaniere.
All bedrooms and public area constantly renewed by Geneviève CHARIAL.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Villas, mas and Manors of the XVIIth and XVIII th century in the protected parc naturel of the Alpilles, at the feet of the village of les Baux de Provence.
The decoration of each bedroom is unique.
Highly focussed on gastronomy ( 2 stars at the Michelin in one of the propertu restaurant : l’Oustau de baumanière ), one of the most beautiful french restaurant wine cellar.
In the protected “parc naturel of the Alpilles”, at the feet of the village of les Baux de Provence.
20 minutes from Arles and 45 minutes from Aix en Provence or Avignon.
Key sites/activities in the area
Carrières de Lumières, visit of the village of les Baux de provence, Pont du gard, biking, horsing, Arles, Local markets, visit of wine domains ( Châteauneuf du Pape ), visit of olive oil producers.
One of the hotel bedroom in called the Quenn bedroom because queen Elizabeth slept in it as she was visiting Provence.
Cocteau stayed at the hotel while filming Testament d’Orphée.
Baumaniere suggests new activities & a new playground for the children. Table tennis, table football, swings will be at your disposal closed to the goat park and the organic kitchen garden. During summer holidays, a snack will be offered to the children near the swimming pool. They will make a D-I-Y activity customizing T-shirts which they can take away with them.
All the rooms have their own unique decor, featuring a blend of Provencal and contemporary styles. View of the Baux Valley or the gardens.
Equipments : Safe, Air conditionning, Minibar, Telephone, Themed TV channels, Iron and ironing board, Disabled amenities, Private bathroom, Bath, Internet & Wireless access.
– Classic room : From 21 to 32 m² For 1 to 2 adults + 1 baby Double or twin beds (160-180)
– Deluxe room : From 26 to 47 m² For 1 to 2 adults + 1 baby Double or twin beds (160-180)
– Deluxe with terrace : From 24 to 49 m² For 1 to 2 adults + 1 baby Double or twin beds (160-180)
– Junior Suite : From 28 to 54 m² For 1 to 2 adults + 1 baby and/or child (less than 12 years old)
Double or twin beds (160-180)
– Suite : From 43 to 75 m² For 1 to 2 adults + 1 baby and/or child (less than 12 years old)
Double or twin beds (180).
– Prestige room : From 44 to 55 m² For 1 to 2 adults + 1 baby and/or child (less than 12 years old)
Double or twin beds (180) From 28 to 54 m² For 1 to 2 adults + 1 baby and/or child (less than 12 years old) Double or twin beds (160-180)
– La Suite Prestige Luxe : The most beautiful bedroom of the property…
The new design of this bedroom was realized by the designers Philippine Lemaire & Clémence Boyer and supervised by Geneviève Charial. The 2 balconies of the living room offer panoramic views on the « Le Manoir » gardens. The must: a luxurious arrangement and amazing views, very detailed decoration, discover the meaning of Baumanière elegancy.
Restaurants & Bars
– L’OUSTAU DE BAUMANIERE : A TWO MICHELIN STARS RESTAURANT : Chefs : Jean-André CHARIAL and Glenn VIEL. One of the most beautiful French wine cellar.
– LA CABRO D’OR : Gastronomic Restaurant : Chef : Michel HULIN
– LA CABRO D’OR : Table d’hôtes
– Summer restaurants beside the 2 swimming pools.
– Bars in each restaurant.
– Wine tasting area at l’Oustau de Baumanière
– SPA Sisley with 6 treatment cabins, sensory pool, hammam, fitness, relaxation room
– 3 outside swimming pools (2 heated from the beginning of May until the end of October)
Corporate & Celebration Events
– Corporate events up to 100 delegates
– Wedding up to 120 people (with wedding planner only).
Extra Notable Features
– Cooking Classes
– Wine tasting classes
– Pastry and bakery classes.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
– Baumanière les Baux de Provence : Gold List 2018 from Condé Nast Traveler / Hennessy Passion Trophy / Attestation d’excellence TripAdvisor
– Oustau de Baumanière : 2 stars at Michelin Guide / Grandes Tables du Monde member / 17.5/20 and 4 Toques at Gault&Millau Guide / Attestation d’excellence TripAdvisor
– La Cabro d’Or : 14.5/20 and 2 Toques at Gault&Millau Guide / Attestation d’excellence TripAdvisor
Number of employees