Splendido, A Belmond Hotel, Portofino Italy
Splendido, A Belmond Hotel, Portofino
Salita Baratta 16, 16034 Portofino, Genoa, Italy
Date of Creation
Belmond property since 1985
Hotel General Manager
General Manager at the Splendido, a Belmond hotel, Portofino for the past decade, Ermes De Megni travelled the world and worked in many other prestigious hotels before settling in Portofino and developing a real passion for the Ligurian countryside. He has an exceptional capacity for recognising and realising the wishes of all his guests: a warm and sunny welcome is guaranteed to anyone choosing to stay at the Splendido.
Splendido, A Belmond Hotel, Portofino
History & Story
The Splendido, a Belmond hotel, Portofino began life as a Benedictine monastery in the 16th century. Around 300 years later, Baron Baratta saw the potential in the monastic ruins and transformed them into a summer villa. In 1901, tourism pioneer Ruggero Valentini turned the villa into the Grand Hotel Splendid. Before long it was welcoming celebrities and nobility through its doors. In the 1950s, the hotel became a romantic getaway for famous lovers such as Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• Prime location in the protected park Portofino, with jaw-dropping views of the Gulf
• Complimentary shuttle service connecting the Splendido with Splendido Mare, in the Piazzetta
• Private motor boat for hire to cruise the Ligurian coast
• La Terrazza Restaurant, boasting unforgettable views and offering the best Ligurian cuisine
• Heated salt-water pool with a view
• Private gazebo in a secluded corner of the gardens, for outdoor massages
• Signature experiences for an unforgettable stay
The Splendido, A Belmond Hotel, Portofino is located amid verdant woodlands overlooking the Bay of Portofino.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Visits to a sustainable local farm
• Sunset cruises to San Fruttuoso Abbey
• Excursions to charming Cinque Terre
• Exclusive tours of Genoa
Also four-legged guests are treated at the Splendido. The hotel offers dog massages and a range of dedicated amenities.
Splendido, A Belmond Hotel, Portofino welcomes its little guests to experience this wonderful hotel and the Ligurian Coast with its hidden secrets. Children can have fun at the Smile Club with English-speaking tutor or choose from a range of special activities such as fishing with an authentic fisherman.
Number of suites: 47 (from 35 to 90 sqm)
• Dolce Vita Suite
• Presidential Suites
• Exclusive Suites
• Deluxe Suites
• Executive Junior Suites
• Deluxe Junior Suites
• Superior Junior Suites
Number of Luxury rooms: 23 (from 20 to 30 sqm)
• Sea View and Balcony Double Rooms
• Sea View Double Rooms
• Garden View Double Rooms
• Single Room
Number of rooms, (keys) in total: 70 rooms and suites
Restaurants & Bars
La Terrazza Restaurant – open-air terrace with breathtaking views over Portofino Bay and the Tigullian Gulf offering fine Italian and regional specialities
Pool Restaurant – perfect for a light lunch or a pizza by the pool
Cocktail and Piano Bar – delicious cocktails to sip while admiring the view and piano entertainment
Located on the second floor, the wellness centre is the place to soothe mind, body and soul with botanical therapies administered by expert practitioners. During their stay guests can enjoy complimentary use of the sauna, nestled in the shade of the verdant Mediterranean gardens, and take advantage of the Fitness Centre. An heated, outdoor panoramic pool is also available, to take a plunge with a view of the Gulf.
Corporate & Celebration Events
With its picturesque coastal setting and reputation for culinary excellence, the Splendido is the perfect stage for showstopping events. Whether you’re looking to organise an intimate wedding and a stylish cocktail reception, or a grand, luxurious banquet, our skilled events planners have you covered. Our extraordinary location also means we’re perfectly placed for a range of thrilling group activities—guaranteed to impress clients and employees.
Extra Notable Features
– All-weather tennis court set on the hillside
– Pesto making lessons and focaccia tastings can be organized on request
Hotel and Restaurant Awards
• 2020 – Condè Nast Traveler – Readers’ Choice Awards, Top 20 Hotels in Italy #2
• 2019 – Condè Nast Traveler – Readers’ Choice Awards, Italy #6
• 2018 – Condè Nast Traveller – The Gold List « Our Favourite Costal Hotels in Europe »
Number of employees