Caesar Augustus Italy
Via G. Orlandi 4, 8007, Anacapri, Island Of Capri
Date of Creation
The building dates back to 1850’s. The owners have managed the hotel since 1995.
Hotel General Manager
Francesco Signorini. Prior to joining the family hotel in 2014, Francesco worked as product manager for Ferrero and then as marketing director and director of customer health care at Angelini pharmaceuticals. He has travelled throughout the world and lived and worked for extensive periods in southern America.
5-Star. Relais & Chateaux
Caesar Augustus embraces an evolutionary approach to development: aiming to constantly improve the facilities and service offered whilst continuing to conserve the hotel’s historic heritage and the authentic Southern Italian hospitality for which the property is known and loved.
History & Story
Dating back to the mid 1800’s, Caesar Augustus was built on the cliffs of Anacapri by a wealthy German gentleman. Located at the top of the famous Phoenician steps, the building served as an Inn for the first tourists visiting Capri. In 1875 the Russian Prince, Emmanuel Bulhak, bought the property and made it his panoramic island home. The Signorini family purchased the premises in the 1940s but it was not until 1995 that Paolo Signorini decided to transform Caesar Augustus in today’s luxury boutique property.
After the initial transformation in the early 1990’s, the hotel has remained largely unaltered. Naturally, each closing season, restoration and renovation work is performed and recently all bathrooms have been updated
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The hotel’s incredible cliff edge location, 300 meters directly above the sea, mean that from almost each and every window, balcony and terrace amazing views of the Bay of Naples can be seen. More breathtakingly beautiful views can be enjoyed from the hotel’s restaurant, wellness facility, terraced gardens and world-famous infinity pool.
Caesar Augustus is located within easy walking distance of the historic center of Anacapri. Significantly quieter than Capri, Anacapri nevertheless offers a great selection of places to eat (from Michelin starred restaurants to family run bistros), drink and shop. For party animals, downtown Capri is just a short cab drive away.
Key sites/activities in the area
Go to the Grotta Azzurra and experience the magical blue light for which the sea cave is famous.
Take the chair lift to the top of Monte Solaro and admire the whole of the Bay of Naples and beyond.
Visit the Axel Munthe museum house and garden, filled with ancient artifacts and beautiful works of art. Have a pair of sandals made to measure for you by Anacapri’s legendary sandalaio, Antonio Viva. Sail around the island in a traditional gozzo boat admiring Capri’s incredible coastline dotted with sea stacks, caves and pretty inlets where to swim.
Check out Capri’s fashionable beach clubs, where to bask in the sun or snooze in the shade of the Faraglioni!
The hotel’s large kitchen garden is located on the sun drenched terraces just below the infinity pool. Guests are welcome to visit the garden and pick any of the fruits and vegetables.
There are any number of secret hideaways in the hotel’s gorgeous sea view gardens where to sneak away to with a bottle of bubbles…
Caesar Augustus welcomes children of 11 years and older.
- Number of rooms, (keys) in all:55
• Capri Master Suite Occupying the entire top floor of the hotel, this one bedroom suite measures 85sqm and has a beautifully furnished 100sqm terrace from where spectacular views of the whole of the Bay of Naples can be seen. Bed: King size. Bathroom: with marble tub and separate shower. Exterior: panoramic roof top terrace.
• Caesar Master Suite Inspired by the architecture of Ancient Rome, this 85sqm one bedroom suite features graceful arches and columns. The suite features a large furnished terrace offering magnificent views of the sea surrounding Capri. Bed: Large Queen size double. Bathroom: bathtub and shower with sea view. Separate lavatory with wash basin. Exterior: panoramic terrace and patio.
• Farouk Master Suite Named after the Egyptian King who loved it so much that he used to book it for the entire season, the Farouk Master Suite is arguably the most romantic room in the whole hotel. Panoramically located, this suite boasts amazing views of the sea from both the bedroom and the bathroom. 50sqm Bed: Canopied Queen-size double. Exterior: panoramic colonnaded terrace.
• Tiberio Master Suite With spectacular views of Capri and the Bay of Naples which can be enjoyed whilst relaxing on the canopied bed, lounging in the sitting area or even whilst soaking in the jacuzzi in the bathroom, this suite is the perfect choice for a heavenly honeymoon. 47sqm. Bed: Queen-size double. Exterior: panoramic corner terrace.
• Vesuvio Master Suite This suite is named after Mount Vesuvius, the unmistakable form of which guests can see from the windows and terraces in both the bedroom and bathroom. 40sqm. Bed: Queen-size double. Exterior: panoramic terrace.
• Junior Suite sea view cliff side After our Master Suites, these are the most sought-after rooms in the house, located in the part of the hotel building situated closest to the cliff edge and with completely unobstructed views of the bay of Naples. Bed: Queen-size double. Exterior: panoramic balcony or terrace.
• Deluxe sea view cliff side These rooms enjoy the same spectacular views as the junior suites sea view cliff side but are significantly smaller. Bed: Queen-size double. Exterior: panoramic balcony or terrace
• Junior Suite sea view (not cliff side) Located further back from the cliff edge in the main hotel building or in the adjacent Villa California, these junior suites have more distant and/or partial views of the sea than those visible from our famous cliff side accommodation. Bed: Queen-size double or twins. Exterior: balcony, terrace or private garden.
• Deluxe Sea view (not cliff side) located further back from the cliff edge with distant of partial views of the sea. 28sqm. Bed: Queen size double. Exterior: balcony or patio.
• Junior Suite mountain view Facing towards the town of Anacapri and Mount Solaro, the only thing missing in these spacious junior suites is the view of the sea!. 38sqm. Bed: Queen-size double or twins. Exterior: balcony or terrace.
Restaurants & Bars
La Terrazza di Lucullo. Chef Eduardo Vuolo. Zero mile Southern Italian cuisine. A’ la carte and tasting menus
Infinity terrace bar. Chef Eduardo Vuolo. Raw fish and sea food.
• Infinity pool
• Steam bath
• Outdoor fitness room with Technogym equipment
• Semi-outdoor wellness facility
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Wedding receptions and gala dinners (max 60 pax)
• Symbolic wedding ceremonies
• Meetings (max 60 pax). One meeting room. Basic equipment supplied
Extra Notable Features
• Boat tours around Capri and to the Amalfi Coast available on request
• Kitchen garden tours on request
• Mixology classes and wine tastings on request
Hotel and restaurant Awards
Condé Nast Traveler Readers Choice Awards 2019 and 2018
Condé Nast Traveler Readers Choice Awards
Number of employees