Carton House a Fairmont Managed Hotel Ireland
Carton House a Fairmont Managed Hotel
Carton Demesne, Maynooth, County Kildare, Ireland W23 TD98
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts / Accor
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Ian Kidd, Interim General Manager of The Savoy Hotel London in place but currently recruiting for this role.
Luxurious Irish golf and spa resort dating back to 1739.
CARTON HOUSE A FAIRMONT MANAGED HOTEL
History & Story
The name ‘Carton’ comes from the old Irish name ‘Baile an Cairthe’ or Land of the Pillar Stone. Set in an 1,100 acre fully walled estate, the estate stretches over two Irish counties, Kildare and Meath. The lands at Carton belonged to the Maynooth estate of the FitzGerald family from 1176. The FitzGeralds, who were part of Strongbow’s invasion of Ireland, became Earls of Kildare in 1315 and went on to become one of the most influential families in Irish history over the next eight centuries. So much so that Maynooth was actually the capital of Ireland for a short period. In 1739, Earl FitzGerald commissioned renowned architect Richard Castles to undertake the project of building Carton House. It cost a mere £26,000 to build at the time.
2019 & 2020 has seen the complete renovation of this luxury resort to include all public areas, food and beverage outlets, guest bedrooms and spa facilities. MDO Architects Dublin, Ireland.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
A luxurious historic resort, combined with the best of Irish hospitality, Carton House is the ultimate Irish resort experience.
Set on 1,100 acres of private parkland, Carton House is located in the Irish University town of Maynooth, County Kildare, just 25 minutes from Dublin International Airport.
Key sites/activities in the area
Irish National Stud & Japanese Garden
Princess Grace of Monaco, Queen Victoria and Marianne Faithful were among a number of famous guests to visit Carton House over the years.
Children of all ages are most welcome to Carton House with a wide range of on-site and nearby activities available.
• Suites: 3 Presidential Suites in The House, 2 Signature Suites in The Garden Wing and 5 Rose Garden Suites in The House (10 in total)
18 state rooms and suites located in The House ranging in size from 33-107 square metres and the remaining 151 guest bedrooms located in The Garden Wing featuring a range of balcony and terrace rooms, deluxe and superior and family bedrooms ranging in size from 31-38 square metres.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 169
Restaurants & Bars
• The Morrison Room – fine dining restaurant
• Kathleen’s Kitchen – modern European dishes in the original servant’s kitchen of The House
• The Carriage House – gastro-pub offering at Carton House Golf Club
• The Courtyard Bar – premium spirits and cocktails
• The Whiskey Library – one of the most extensive selection of whiskeys in Ireland
• The Duke’s Rest – private wine tasting area in the old Game Room of The House
• Carton House Wellness – featuring an 18 metre indoor heated swimming pool, thermal area and gymnasium suite
• Carton House Spa – an oasis of tranquility, offering a selection of treatments by highly skilled therapists using award winning spa brand, Pevonia
• On-resort 5km and 10km walking trails, bicyles, fishing, tennis, falconry and a range of other outdoor pursuits
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Meeting and events facilities for up to 350 people in the modern Carton Suite
• Private dining in The House, an 18th century Palladian style mansion for up to 40 guests.
• Brand new meeting and events space, launching spring 2021, the FitzGerald Suite, catering for up to 150 guests, featuring beautiful views of the estate vista.
Extra Notable Features
• 2 championship 18 hole golf courses – parkland O’ Meara and inland links-style Montgomerie
• History talks pertaining to Carton House and it’s place in Irish history
• Cookery demonstrations and classes with our resident team of chefs
• Outdoor resort dining – private BBQ’s/picnics/drinks at The Tyrconnell Tower
Hotel and restaurant Awards
Number of employees