Castell Son Claret Spain
Castell Son Claret
Carretera Es Capdellà-Galilea Km 1,7
07196 Es Capdellà, Calvià, Mallorca
Date of Creation
The hotel opened in May 2013.
Hotel General Manager
Björn Spaude has a long track record of international hotel brands such as Inter-Continental, Ritz-Carlton and Vier Jahreszeiten in Hamburg on his CV. Originally trained as a chef Björn Spaude has travelled throughout the world and came to Mallorca in March 2014 to join Castell Son Claret as General Manager.
Boutique luxury brand, The Leading Hotels of the World.
Castell Son Claret was born out of the desire to renovate and bring the old manor house back to its previous splendour. Originally planned as a private guest house the project gained magnitude when the executive chef Fernando P. Arellano joined the team and the affiliation with Leading Hotels of World was confirmed.
CASTELL SON CLARET
History & Story
A Majorcan monument, the Castell Son Claret, impressively blends the historic splendour of a manor house with contemporary arts and interiors. First mentioned in 1450, the estate has been refurbished to the highest standard claiming to make you fell home in a private house, during a period of 3 years between 2010 and 2013. In May 2013 Castell Son Claret opened as a Leading Hotel of the World inside 132 hectares of private gardens and natural surrounding landscape.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Exclusive settings: The large estate has only 38 rooms resulting in a luxury experience with unparalleled sense of freedom. Gastronomic excellence: Zaranda, the only two Michelin stars restaurant on the Balearics Islands. Inspiring arts and culture: A unique blend of historic architecture and contemporary arts. and culture,contemporary arts and culture.
Castell Son Claret is set within the most magical location near the village of Es Capdellá in the municipality of Calvia and is one of the largest privately owned luxury estates in Mallorca (326 acres). The hotel is located at the foot of the, since 2011, Unesco protected romantic La Tramuntana Mountains and surrounded by a lavish park and gardens in unspoilt nature. Driving along the 1,000-foot-long, palm-lined avenue leading towards the Castell, the guest enters a different world. Magnificent persimmon and pomegranate, almond, olive, lemon and orange trees frame the approach to the main building.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Three 18 holes golf courses are within 8 km reach of Castell Son Claret
• The wine bodega Santa Catarina is located 8 km away from Castell Son Claret snuggled into the mountains between Es Capdellà and Andratx. They offers wine tasting and snacks
• The small rustic bay with wine tree shadow Es Falco is located 10 km from Castell Son Claret and offer a cosy beach bar serving cocktail and light meals.
• The Mallorca capital, Palma, is located from 25 km and paradise for intimite highstreet shopping and smaller local botique shops.
• In the spring, the barman Roberto serves the Tramontana cocktail made from Palo (a traditional Mallorcan liquor) and the Lemon and Oil Daiquiri, to which a splash of olive oil is added to white rum and Castell lemons.
• All breads and pastries are bakes freshly with organic flour each morning by the French baker Sergio
• To celebrate the achievement of the second Michelin star in November 2015 a herb garden has been created in the Castell ground
• The Water tower duplex has round walls and sofas with round backs.
At Castell Son Claret the youngest guests coming with their parents are welcome. The hotel provides basic cots for infants up to 2 years (free of charge and available upon request) as well as extra beds for young children (€60 per day for children between three and twelve and €100 from 13 and over). Some of our rooms in the Deluxe Rooms and Deluxe Suites category have connecting doors.Restaurant Olivera offers a special children’s menu. Restuarant Zaranda and the Spa Bellesa de Claret happily welcome children aged 14 and older. We can organise a babysitter for younger guests with an external agency.
However, Castell Son Claret, being a quiet country retreat, cannot be identified as a hotel with special features for children. The majority of our guests highly value peaceful surroundings and relaxing stay.
Number of rooms in all: 38
• 2 The spectacular Pool Suite offers direct access to its own garden, private sun deck and 10m² pool.
• 2 The Tower Suite (approx. 70 m²) has a spacious balcony that offers an ideal sunbathing spot and views over the beautiful estate gardens.
• 3 The large Garden Suites (approx. 65 m²) separated by internal doors, making them ideal for families or larger parties when combined into one large apartment area. Guests have view of the private garden, or inner courtyard with a small waterfall. Special suites amenities: “Teufel” sound system in the first 3 categories.
• 5 The Demi Suites celebrate individuality and comfort. Each Demi Suite (approx. 50 m²) has its own layout and offers unique features like a sun deck or herb garden. One of the Demi Suites provides full disabled access.
• 1 The Terrace Demi Suite (approx. 50 m²) is an exceptional space with a generous bathroom with free-standing bathtub and 90m² large terrace. It provides stunning views over the gardens and Tramuntana Mountains.
• 5 The Terrace Deluxe Doubles (approx. 37m²) have French windows leading to a terrace for private sunbathing and offer views across the gardens or the Tramuntana Mountains.
• 1 With its unique circular architecture, in the ancient Water Tower (approx. 2 x 3o m²) the guests can enjoy the view of the fields from their private terrace.
• 11 The Deluxe Double rooms (approx. 37 m²) are located in the main house and have French windows offering views of the garden and the Tramuntana Mountains.
• 7 The Estate Double rooms (approx. 25 m²) with views to the historic courtyard or gardens overlooking the Moorish courtyard.
Restaurants & Bars
Headed by Chef Fernando P. Arellano and the only two Michelin stars restaurant on the Balearic Islands. Speciality : The Black Egg.
• Olivera restaurant
Chef Fernando P. Arellano is in charge of this restaurant listed in the Michelin guide and featuring authentic Mediterranean cuisine, inspired by local ingredients and Arellano’s travels around the world. Speciality: Homemade Burrata-cheese with milk from local cows.
• Castell Bar
Where barman Roberto Muscariolo can be found mixing a selection of classic and signature cocktails, created from seasonal ingredients hand picked from the garden. Speciality: La Tramuntana Cocktail.
• The spa Bellesa de Claret offers sport & fitness, massage and relaxation as well as beauty treatments.
• The spa comprises of an indoor pool, 2 treatment rooms suites of which one is a couple suite as well as a Finish sauna and a stream room. The fitness room is located in the garden area in part of the old stables.
• Many of the spa activities also take place in the garden and for the historical experience in the Moorish Hammam with Oriental roots.
• Bellesa de Claret works with accompany the body througout the bio-rythme of the seasons.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Unique for Life Celebrations and Intimate Business Retreats.
A romantic wedding or social celebration in Castell Son Claret is an unforgettable experience – there is no better way to celebrate these special days in your life. The Olivera terrasse or Hotel Plaza caters for up to 200 persons a la fresca. SaTafona, 72m2, the old olive mill, conditioned as function room suitable for meetings and private dinner. There is direct access to the SaTafona patio with a large wooden table and benches catering for up to 16 persons – suitable for breakout space or private culinary events. • Boardroom, 25m2, conditioned as a small meeting room or breakout space, with direct access to the SaTafona patio.
Extra Notable Features
• Bellesa de Claret offer annual yoga retreats in German or English language
• Castell Son Claret offers a 7 km jogging path around the estate
• Castell Son Claret offers an extensive Summer Event programme with 2 Opera gala events under open summer sky as well as a Culinary events with a selceted of international Michelin-starred chefs
• VIP Cycling with BMC race bikes with Garmin festures, guided by ex-proffesional cyclist Guido
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
Executive Chef Fernando P. Arellano, 2 Michelin Stars (Restaurant Zaranda)
Executive Chef Fernando P. Arellano, 1 Michelin Star (Restaurant Zaranda)
Robb Report, Best Restaurant, July 2014 Edition
Travel + Leisure, “2014 IT LIST The Coolest New Hotels Of The Year”
Number of employees
Up to 85 persons in high season.