Château de la Treyne France
Château de la Treyne
Dordogne, 46 200 LACAVE
Privately owned by Philippe & Stephanie Gombert
Date of Creation
Built in the 14th and 17th centuries
Hotel General Manager
Since 2003 Stephanie Gombert is running the business with passion for her guests.
In renovating the château and making the necessary changes to meet the international requirements of a world class hotel. We have made respect for the past our absolute priority. We have been making considerable works while highlighting his history. And we will always continue in this way.
Château de la Treyne
History & Story
Originally built in the 14th century, the Château was identified as a Huguenot hide-out and burned during the Religious Wars (16thcentury). It was rebuilt and restored by the Ramière family during the reign of Louis XIII and in 1759 it passed to the Cardaillac family. In 1905 it was acquired by industrialist Auguste Savard who was responsible for the formal French garden. It passed next to the Fontana family and to the Gombert family in 1982. They renovated and opend it as a luxury hotel in 1992.
In renovating the chateau and making the necessary changes to meet the international requirements of a world class hotel we have made respect for the past our absolute priority. We offer guests the opportunity to step back in time with all of the comforts and amenities of modern life.
Château de la Treyne’s combination of authenticity and refinement is a perfect expression of contemporary luxury, in a sublime and relaxing setting.
The hotel is set on a rocky bluff and mirrored in the Dordogne, beneath a wooded hillside thickly covered with boxwood and truffle oaks.
The chateau is set in its own 120 ha of parkland and provides the perfect backdrop for special occasions of all kinds.
Furnishings and objets d’art are in period, soundproofing is effective throughout, and air conditioning systems and the hotel’s lift are discreetly hidden from view.
Renovating is made continuously each year during our annual closing (January – mid march). All rooms and sitting rooms are restored. Some with antiques some with designer furniture (p.e.Hubert le Gall).
Main Strengths, Special Touch
- The dramatic blufftop setting overhanging the river Dordogne (a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve).
- Excellent Michelin Star cuisine served in a listed dining room by candlelight, or on the terrace overhanging the Dordogne.
- A unique place for refined taste and discreet luxury.
- 120ha of woodland with truffles
- Very warm welcome and attentive staff, all Department heads have been working for more than 18 years at the chateau.
- Attention to all details
- Ideally located in the charming countryside on the pilgrimage route to Compostela, between Sarlat and Rocamdour (world famous pilgrimage village) in the heart of Quercy close to the Perigord.
- Toulouse 170 km
- Bordeaux 200 km
- Airport Brive – Dordogne Valley 20km.
Key sites/activities in the area
- Prehistorical caves Lascaux & Pech Merle & Font de Gaume, Lacave …
- Gouffre (charm) of Padirac
- Fly-fishing on-site
- Hot-air ballooning
- Jazz festival in Souillac,
- Visit picturesque local markets
The Chateau is overhanging the river Dordogne. The grounds cover 300 hectares of garden, French formal garden and woodland.
- Canoeing on-site
- Hiking trails in 120ha private woodland on-site
- Outdoor heated infinity pool on-site
- Tennis court on-site
- Tree top Adventure
- Children and baby equipment on request
- Very warm welcome, gift and sweets in the room upon arrival
- Bathrobe, slippers and bathroom products for children
- Family Master Suite
- Interconnection rooms
- Children menu
- Heated swimming pool
- 3 Master Suites (large room with separate lounge and dressing) between 40 – 70 squares meter. One with private terrace overhanging the river Dordogne, all river view.
- 3 Junior Suites between 40 – 55 squares meter. Two with river view, one with garden view. Two with four poster bed.
- 6 deluxe room between 25 – 45 squares meter. Garden or river view.
All Suites and deluxe rooms are equipped to the highest standard: bathroom all with bathtub (some jacuzzi bathtub) and separate shower, free WIFI, AC, TV with satellite channels, complementary minibar, lift, safety box,
Each of the rooms is decorated in an individual style, and all rooms on the first floor benefit from 4 m-high ceilings.
- 5 superior rooms between 25 – 30 squares meter. Bathroom with bathtub or shower, free WIFI, AC, TV with satellite channels, complementary minibar, lift, safety box.
- Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 17 All our rooms are completely different styles : Louis XIII, Henri IV … decorated with beautiful fabric wallpapers (Pierre Frey)
Restaurants & Bars
1 Michelin Star restaurant.
Chef, Stephane Andrieux, a native of Périgord ! He trained with French Chefs including Marc Meneau and Pic in Valence before coming home to the Dordogne at the Chateau de la Treyne in 1998. His cuisine is rooted in the land of Périgord and Quercy. He served up a tempting menu of seasonal dishes using only the best locally sourced ingredients.
We work with local’s farmers and seasonal food.
Our area is rich and famous for foie gras, truffle, lamb, cheese, walnuts, mushrooms and of course the wine.
The cellar has an outstanding selection of wines from south-west France, Bordeaux, Cahors, Bergerac – and Burgundy.
Heated overflot swimming pool. Tennis.
Corporate & Celebration Events
- Romanesque chapel ideally suited for weddings, possibility to welcome 70 persons, otherwise we have to add a tent.
- The chateau can be privatized to organize events.
Extra Notable Features
- Pony club 6km from us.
- Golf 18 hole 10 km.
- Wine tasting, personal guide on request 30km.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
- Relais & Châteaux 1992
- One Michelin Star 2001
- Under the TOP 100 World Hotel Andrew Harper 2017
Number of employees