Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Van Baerlestraat 27
1071 AN Amsterdam
The Set Hotels
Date of Creation
Opened in 2011 as Conservatorium Hotel, the building’s history dates back to the 13th century.
Hotel General Manager
Over 20 years of experience in the luxury hotel industry for international brands such as, Intercontinental, Hyatt, and Crowne Plaza in the UK, the Netherlands and Middle East.
History & Story
The Conservatorium hotel building was originally designed by the Dutch architect Daniel Knuttel as the Rijkspostspaarbank, the national saving bank, and sparked the regeneration of the Museum Quarter at the end of the 19th century (1897).
When the Rijkspostspaarbank had to move offices following a series of merges, the building was abandoned in 1978. After lying empty for five years, it became the home of the newly formed Sweelinck Conservatorium, consisting of three musical institutes. Some remodelling was required to modernise Daniel Knuttel’s architecture into functional acoustic classrooms.
In April 2008 the Conservatorium of Amsterdam outgrew its home and departed to its current location at Oosterdokseiland. In 2008, The Set purchased this wonderful building, attracted by its glorious past. In a vision to restore its former beauty, award winning Milan-based designer Piero Lissoni guided the creation of the hotel whose rich historical narrative is woven with utmost care.
Between 2008 and 2011, the entire building has been transformed under the guidance of designer Piero Lissoni. He also created the glass-atrium, an architectural masterpiece.
Known for his austere lines, demure fabrics and shades of grey with occasional bright accents, Lissoni is considered one of the most prominent and exciting contemporary Italian designers and architects. His clean designs are a hybrid of modernist and contemporary chic and contrast playfully with natural daylight throughout the building’s spaces. Furniture from leading Italian manufactures such as Living Divani, Kartell and Cassina sit prominently in all communal spaces while accent pieces such as vintage Asian rugs provide a sense of familiar comfort and cement the Conservatorium as one of the best designed hotels in Amsterdam.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
This luxury hotel in Amsterdam has repeatedly been crowned the number one luxury hotel in the Netherlands. Located in the Museum Square district, the true heart of the city, the Conservatorium is an architectural masterpiece that combines a landmark heritage building with graceful, contemporary design. Guests enjoy a selection of restaurants, a bar, lounge and 1,000 sq m Akasha Holistic Wellbeing. In this vibrant and elegant setting, the city’s crown jewels – the Van Gogh Museum, Concertgebouw, Rijksmuseum, Vondelpark and Amsterdam’s most indulgent shopping – are literally at your doorstep. For culture and for business, it’s a location like no other.
Our exceptional address means you can be at the Stedelijk Museum before you can pronounce its name: Their grand entrance is just across from ours. And around the corner? The Van Gogh. In fact, this city’s crown jewels – the Concertgebouw, Rijksmuseum, Vondelpark and Amsterdam’s most indulgent shopping – are literally at your doorstep. For culture and for business, it’s a location like no other. Add to that a neighbour like Van Gogh, and you can look forward to a colourful stay.
Key sites/activities in the area
Rijksmuseum (7 minutes by foot)
Van Gogh Museum (2 minutes by foot)
Stedelijk Museum (1 minute by foot)
Royal Concert Hall (4 minutes by foot)
P.C. Hooftstraat, luxury shopping district (2 minutes by foot)
Vondelpark (4 minutes by foot)
- What first started as a playful flirt between kitchen and bar, inspired by a shared love and passion for Asia, has now grown into a new phenomenon within the last five years: Taiko Bar. With excellent service from some of Amsterdam’s best bartenders, supreme bites from Taiko Cuisine and a cocktail menu that makes you feel like you’re in a speakeasy in Roppongi, Taiko Bar translates the sophisticated nightlife of global cities such as Bangkok, Tokyo and Shanghai into the intimate, cosy setting of an Amsterdam neighbourhood pub. Taiko Cuisine is named after ancient Japanese drums said to beat with a mythic rhythm. It is chef Schilo Van Coevorden’s Asian-inspired restaurant situated within the hotel. With a live Taiko player beating harmonious rhythms during weekends, Schilo’s explosive yet delicate Asian flavours are matched with a beautiful backdrop.
- Taiko has employed their own sake sommeliers, in order to guarantee the most authentic flavours
- Akasha Holistic Wellbeing spans over 1,000 sq. metres and is largest hotel spa in Amsterdam
- Akasha Holistic Wellbeing offers a unique and intimate water treatment performed in the private Watsu pool, called the Watsu treatment. With the help of floats, the therapist will alternate movements and stretches timed with breathing exercises creating an extremely relaxing environment
- The hotel has piggybank symbols on the walls of the Van Baerle Shopping Gallery. It refers to the original function of the building, a bank where people saved their money.
- In celebration of its 5th year anniversary, Conservatorium revealed its own tulip that is grown on the estate. Every year the hotel will be dressed with over 1,000 of its bespoke tulips in celebration of the annual Tulip Festival
Our guest rooms are the epitome of contemporary luxury, combining the best in modern comforts and technology. Each gives you the most comfortable and peaceful space with thoughtful details and services, creating the perfect retreat for your visit to Amsterdam.
Experience exquisite luxury in the most beautiful hotel suites in Amsterdam. Our collection of suites embodies Dutch style and design, with sumptuous king-size beds and unique and thoughtful features to make your stay exceptional.
Restaurants & Bars
Taiko, Contemporary Asian Cuisine & Bar
Taiko is Schilo Van Coevorden’s leading award-winning Asian-inspired eatery and one of the finest hotel restaurants in Amsterdam. A chef at the height of his creativity, Schilo is not content simply to seduce. Beauty, flavour, aroma and texture are the instruments he uses to enchant every sense.
Named after ancient Japanese drums said to beat with a mythic rhythm, Taiko restaurant is chef Schilo Van Coevorden’s Asian-inspired restaurant situated within the hotel. With a live Taiko player beating harmonious rhythms every evening, Schilo’s explosive yet delicate Asian flavours are matched with a beautiful backdrop.
At Taiko Bar, everything revolves around three elements: Asian flavours, international luxury and local roots. Taiko Bar boasts a bar menu in which authentic drinks and spirits play an important role in creating the extensive selection of Asian-inspired cocktails. The “Taiko style Saketini”, served as a Japanese Highball, is one drink in particular that shows how the bartenders are real masters of mixology. With seventeen completely new cocktail creations with intriguing names such as So Long Ken Jeong, Lost in Translation, Kho San Road and Hatsumomo, the Taiko Bar team have developed an eccentric cocktail menu which can be seen as an exploration of some of the best ingredients grown in the Asian continent.
-Brasserie & Lounge
The Conservatorium’s Brasserie and Lounge are located in a beautiful internal glass courtyard which has spectacular floor-to-ceiling windows.
Our Brasserie and Lounge offer contemporary dining, including salads, sandwiches as well as an Afternoon Tea.
- Our spa, Akasha Holistic Wellbeing boasts seven treatment rooms, including a double treatment suite, and offers some of the finest signature spa treatments in Amsterdam, marrying innovative Western practises with ancient Eastern traditions. There is a private Hammam for purifying scrubs and massages. Akasha also holds Amsterdam’s only Watsu pool for tailored hydro-treatments and guided meditation.
- Largest hotel spa in The Netherlands and voted as number one luxury spa in The Netherlands
- Akasha Holistic Wellbeing features a private studio that is a calming and relaxing space, dedicated to one on one sessions or personalised classes and the disciplines of Yoga, Pilates, tai-chi and meditation – all group classes are complimentary for hotel guests.
Corporate & Celebration Events
- Venues in Amsterdam don’t get much more inspiring than those at the Conservatorium. Whether it’s an annual meeting or a business launch, a banquet or an auction, every gathering in the world’s most creative capital deserves a venue that’s equally imaginative. This means not just state-of-the-art technology, but an environment that is itself a work of art. While many hotels hide their meeting rooms, we gave ours pride of place, designing a special events tower, right in our landmark lobby. So whether you’re holding a concert for ten, or training for a hundred, it’s an inspired choice for any event, in the centre of the Conservatorium, in the centre of Amsterdam.
- The hotel’s six meeting rooms and events rooms offer Amsterdam’s finest personalised service, leading-edge technology and exquisite design to satisfy every requirement, for every occasion. The Symphony Room is the largest and can accommodate 120 guests in theatre style and 100 guests for dinner. The rooms all have natural daylight and are equipped with state-of-the-art high definition technology, including beamers and/or LCD televisions. Fully inclusive remote control systems provide for every need and comfort.
Extra Notable Features
The in-house Van Baerle shopping gallery at the Conservatorium features a hair salon and luxury stores that sell an eclectic mix of products, ranging from jewellery and designer clothing to cosmetics and cigars. The hotel is also well placed to reach the boutiques and stores in the fashion district of P.C. Hooftstraat and beyond that. While this is the historic cultural district of Amsterdam, a wide range of restaurants, bars and clubs are all within walking distance.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
- Gold status in U.S. News & World Report’s list of “Best Hotels in Europe” for 2018. This distinction is given to the top 10 percent of all ranked luxury hotels across Europe.
- Conservatorium Hotel awarded with the TripExpert’s 2018 Expert’s Choice Award.
- “Gold Badge” in the “Best Hotels in the Europe” category of the 2018 U.S. News & World Report Best Hotels.
- Awarded in Tripadvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards 2018 in the categories Top 25 Hotels – The Netherlands, Top 25 Luxury Hotels – The Netherlands, Top 25 Hotels for Service – the Netherlands.
- Awarded in the top ten 5-star hotels in the Netherlands in the Trivago National Awards.
- Conservatorium named in the Condé Nast Traveler Gold List 2018.
- The hotel featured as number 20 in the category for Hotels in Europe, Turkey and Russia (only hotel in the Netherlands to be awarded).
- Netherlands’ Best Hotel Spa 2018 in the World Spa Awards 2018.
- Our Penthouse Suite has been awarded as Netherlands’ Leading Hotel Suite 2018 in the World Travel Awards 2018.
- Awarded as Top Choice Award
- Winner of TripAdvisor Experts’ Choice
- Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre has been awarded ‘Wellness Retreat of 2017’ by Travel & Hospitality Awards
- Our Penthouse Suite has been awarded as Netherlands’ Leading Hotel Suite 2017 in the World Travel Awards 2017.
- World Spa Awards 2017, Netherlands’ Best Hotel Spa.
- Tripadvisor, Certificate of Excellence 2017.
- Awarded as #8 of European Hotels in the Conde Nast Traveller’s Readers Awards 2017.
- Condé Nast Traveler, The Gold List
- Winner of TripAdvisor Experts’ Choice
- Winner of the Netherlands’ Leading Hotel Suite: Penthouse Suite, World Travel Awards
- Number 18 in the best hotels in Europe Readers Awards Condé Nast Traveler
- Winner of Netherlands’ Best Hotel Spa 2016: Akasha Spa at Conservatorium Hotel, World Spa Awards
- Winner of HotelsCombined Recognition of Excellence
- Winner of TripAdvisor Experts’ Choice and Best of Amsterdam on Trip Expert
- Winner of TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice
- Second place in Top 10 Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards
- Winner of Netherlands Leading Hotel Suite, Winner of World Travel Awards
- Winner of World Spa Awards, winner of The Netherlands Best Hotel Spa
- Winner of TripAdvisor Experts’ Choice and Best of Amsterdam on Trip Expert
- The world’s 10 hottest new hotels, Life Style Magazine
- Awarded as Traveller’s Choice by TripAdvisor in 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Nominee for the Smith Hotel Awards
- Winner of Hotel Partner Rendez Vous
- Winner of the Andrew Harper Grand Awards
- Winner of The Style Junkies Award
- Winner ‘Best Interior Design’ Award at the Prix Villégiature
- In top 20 of Conde Nast Traveler Reader’s Travel Awards
- Winner of Esquire, Best New Restaurant in The Netherlands
- Winner of HBMEO, Best Hotel Bar in Amsterdam
- Winner of Condé Nast Traveler, The Gold Standard in the ‘Design Hotels’ section
- Winner of Condé Nast Traveler, Hot List
- Winner of Artravel Awards, Best Business Hotel
- Winner Best Business Hotels 2012 of Wallpaper Magazine
- Winner Best Interior Design Hotel 2012 by VENUEZ
- Winner Best of Amsterdam award by Time Out Amsterdam 2012
Number of employees