Whitehall Place, London SW1A 2bd
Date of Creation
Corinthia London – 2011
Hotel General Manager
Mr Thomas Kochs
CORINTHIA HOTEL LONDON
History & Story
The grand Victorian building has three distinct phases to its 125-year-old history. Dating from 1885, the building spent fifty years as the prestigious Hôtel Métropole before it was taken over by the Government in 1936 and used as Ministry of Defence offices. Since 2008 the building has undergone a meticulous restoration to return it to its original function and former glory. Today, the 21st Century Grand Hotel has become a stylish destination combining grace and grandeur with contemporary style and the most modern amenities.
2011 complete renovation, design by GA Design.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• Perfectly positioned just moments from Trafalgar Square, Westminster and Covent Garden, yet close to Mayfair and The City’s Square Mile
• Largest rooms in London at an average 45 square meters
• 7 two-storey Penthouses
• Home to ESPA Life at Corinthia, London’s biggest spa and a destination for total wellbeing
• Kerridge’s Bar & Grill, with Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge at the helm, offering British food at its best
• The Northall, home to European seasonal menus from executive chef André Garrett
• Innovative and classic cocktails expertly prepared by leading Bartenders in Bassoon Bar
• Bespoke Concierge services
• Al fresco inner courtyard complete with open fireplaces
• Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
• Complimentary 24 hour gym access
• Nespresso machine in every room with complimentary coffee
• Complimentary use of the business centre
• In-house Florist
On Whitehall Place, near the River Thames, Corinthia London is within easy walking distance of the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square and the London Eye.
A short stroll will take guests to Buckingham Palace, West End theatres, Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus and the grand shopping thoroughfares of Bond Street and Regent Street.
London’s thriving cultural scene is also on hand. In one direction, The National Gallery, Royal Opera House and Royal Academy are nearby, while guests crossing the river will soon reach the Royal Festival Hall, Hayward Gallery, Tate Modern and National Theatre. Not far away, the City financial district is easily reached by taxi, as are Knightsbridge, Chelsea and Hyde Park.
Space and scale are luxuries and Corinthia London 283 guestrooms have an abundance of these precious commodities. The sumptuously appointed rooms are among the largest in their category within London luxury hotels, covering a generous 45 square meters on average. The rooms combine traditional elegance with every modern convenience to set new standards in contemporary comfort. The spacious Italian marble bathrooms feature underfloor heating, a standalone rain shower and a deep soaking bath with bathtub TV.
40 apartment-sized suites range from 65 sq meters to over 85 sq meters. Combining understated opulence with bold contemporary design, they feature huge beds, state-of-the-art entertainment systems, in-room libraries and well-stocked private bars. The cavernous bathrooms are lined with white Italian marble. Many suites are individually crafted to provide a level of expansive living matching that of an upscale residence.
The seven two-storey penthouse suites take the upper extremes of space and splendour to an entirely different level. Individually crafted, with spectacular views, they demonstrate Corinthia’s uncompromising commitment to craftsmanship and world-class service. Each penthouse has a balcony or terrace, four have an internal lift/elevator and all benefit from 24-hour butler service. Ranging from over 93 sq meters to a palatial 465 sq meters, these opulent penthouses represent the pinnacle of sophisticated London living.
Restaurants & Bars
• Kerridge’s Bar and Grill
Headed up by Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge and serves a range of traditional British dishes.
• The Northall
Led by Executive Chef Andre Garret, The Northall showcases the breadth of Europe’s culinary strengths. The emphasis is on seasonality through close relationships with producers.
• The Crystal Moon Lounge
Home of our signature Afternoon Tea. The Full Moon chandelier was created by Parisian designer Chafik Gasmi and produced by Baccarat, the prestigious French crystal manufacturer.
• Bassoon Bar
The New Orleans-inspired Bassoon Bar is the place-to-be-seen for cocktails
• ESPA Life at Corinthia is quite simply the Next Generation of Spa, set in a space of iconic beauty.
A pioneering new concept, with 17 treatment rooms and a private spa suite, ESPA Life excels at offering a fully integrated approach to well-being bringing together a team of the world’s top experts to offer an unrivalled choice of spa, complementary alternative therapies, fitness, beauty treatments.
• Dr. Barbara Sturm’s treatments, world-recognised for her non-surgical anti-aging treatments and methods for rejuvenating the skin
• Indoor swimming pool,vitality pool, amphitheatre sauna, ice fountain, marble heated loungers, private sleep pods
• Daniel Galvin Hair Salon nail and hair studio.
• The spa café complements the overall offering by serving light, nutritious refreshments.
• Leading edge equipment features in an impeccable fitness and rehabilitation offering, within our 24 hour gym.
Corporate & Celebration Events
From private board meetings to lavish celebrations, Corinthia Hotel London creates the perfect setting for your event. Whether you are planning a wedding, a conference or business event, your dedicated event planner will be on hand to help you find the perfect venue and guide you through every aspect of your event. Incorporating the most stylish private dining rooms in London with up-to-date technology, personalised service and the finest cuisine, this 21st Century Grand Hotel can offer you a truly unique and memorable experience.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
2016 & 2017
Ultratravel Collection – Hotel of The Year
Tripadvisor – Winner Travellers’ Choice
Spafinder Wellness Travel Awards 2015 – Best Spa in the United Kingdom
AA – Inspectors’ Choice Hotel and Hotel of the Year
Condé Nast Traveller Readers’ Travel Awards – Best UK Hotel Spa
Condé Nast Johansens – Best City Hotel 2014, UK and Ireland
Best City Hotel, UK and Ireland, Condé Nast Johansens
Winner Travellers’ Choice, Tripadvisor
Best UK Hotel Spa, Condé Nast Traveller Readers’ Travel Awards 2012
The Sunday Times Travel Awards 2013 – Best European Spa
Best European Spa, The Sunday Times Travel Awards 2013
The Sunday Times Travel Awards 2013 – Best European Spa
Travellers’ Choice 2013 by Tripadvisor
ESPA Life at Corinthia, Best European Spa in The Sunday Times Travel Awards 2013
ESPA Life, Best UK Hotel Spa 2012 by Condé Nast Traveller
Condé Nast Traveller Readers Spa Awards 2012
The Whitehall Penthouse Suite, The European Hotel Design Awards
Number of employees