Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Cortina d’Ampezzo
Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Cortina d’Ampezzo
Via Rinaldo Menardi, 42 – 32043 Cortina d’Ampezzo
Dolomites (BL) – Italy
Luxury Collection by Marriott
Member of the Leading Hotels of the World
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Giorgio Borgonovo – General Manager
5 star Luxury
Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Cortina d’Ampezzo
History & Story
The Palace Hotel Cristallo was opened in 1901 by Emilia and Giuseppe Menardi, belonging to one of the oldest Cortina d’Ampezzo families. Its refined elegance, its wonderful position standing on the edge of a forest, its breathtaking view of the Tofane mountain slopes, together with the dedicated commitment of the Menardi couple, soon made it into one of the most sought-after, international destinations and was also an essential aspect for Cortina d’Ampezzo’s tourist development and growth.
During the First World War, it was converted into a military hospital and thus, the golden life of the pre-war era dramatically came to a standstill. Afterwards, in the 1920’s, tourism increased considerably, thanks to Cortina’s passion for winter sports. In a short space of time, that castle overlooking the valley became a vital point of reference for the international jet set.
After the Second World War, and despite the serious economic crisis of the time, the Cristallo further improved itself, and with the Winter Olympic Games in 1956, Cortina truly became the capital of ‘snow’ tourism; and this event also served to shine the spotlight on the hotel itself.
In 1995, the Palace Hotel Cristallo, closed at this point for many years. The imagination of the entrepreneur Paolo Gualandi, was deeply impressed and he decided to pick up the thread of its magical story, which had too abruptly come to a grinding halt. Between 1998 and 2001, the old building was radically enlarged and totally renovated.
In July 2001, the Gualandi family opened the Cristallo Hotel Spa & Golf, bringing to Cortina new ideas and innovation, together with the debonair, elegant and dynamic luxury that recalls the joyous feeling of its happiest years.
In 2001 the old building was radically enlarged and totally renovated. The space needed to build an indoor swimming pool, a thermarium and a wellness centre was recreated inside its historical architecture, emphasizing the building’s essential characteristics and gently lying on terrace steps which followed the mountain’s slope. Its ‘gustavian’ style restoration – so called in memory of the Swedish King Gustave III – and inspired by Venetian noblemen’s houses, succeeded in recreating Cortina’s most exciting and unforgettable era with its most famous jewel coming back to magical life within its walls.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• The Hotel is the only five star luxury building where unique style and enveloping charm permeate all 74 bedrooms, including 22 suites. Among which 5 royal and 2 presidential suites, two fully-fledged apartments, with top level comforts and services.
• The Hotel offers 4 restaurants: « La Veranda » to enjoy Italian cuisine, the panoramic « Gazebo » with Gourmet delights, « La Stube 1872″ to enjoy the Local cuisine and “The Cantuccio Chef’s private Table” for a special and private dinner.
• The Cristallo Ultimate Spa offers two high qualified beauty and fitness centres for relaxation and restoring physical wellbeing: the Transvital Swiss beauty center end the Fitwell Club.
• Exclusive partnership with the Cortina Golf Club, offering all golf-loving guests admission to the club, generally reserved for partners.
Located in the Italian Dolomites declared Unesco World heritage, at 1,5 hour driving distance from Venice and 5 minutes from Cortina center. Cortina is member of “Best of the Alps” with the most famous Alpine destination.
The town of Cortina d’Ampezzo, with a thousand years of history behind it and a population of almost 7,000, draws visitors from all over the world with its beautiful landscapes, countless sports events and activities, the lively atmosphere of its bars and cafés. Cortina is renowned worldwide for the elegance of its boutiques, the quality of its restaurants and the warm welcome offered by its hotels.
Cortina d’Ampezzo is not only about skiing: the town has something to offer to all mountain lovers, all year round.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Winter Sports and activities : skiing, outing on snowshoes, cross country skiing, telemark, sledge, skating, curling, ecc…
• Summer Sports and activities: golf, mountaineering, climbing routes, canyoning, mountain biking, trekking, nordic walking, tennis, adrenlain parks, ecc…
• Cultural : The Etnogaphic Museum is a testimony to local culture and tradition, The Mario Rimoldi Museum of Modern Art and the Open Air Museum of the First World War extends to a radius of 5 Km and lets you discover the Great War in the mountains (5 Torri and Lagazuoi mountains).
• Watching the sunrise in the mountains is an unforgettable experience and nowhere is this spectacle more impressive than in the Dolomites due to the “Enrosadira”, a phenomenon by which the majority of the peaks of the Dolomites take on a reddish color, which passes gradually to purple.
• Ski candlelight descent: at 4p.m departure from ski lift area, hot chocolate in a mountain refuge while waiting fro the sunset and then descent with torches.
• Adventure Playground: guaranteed fun in open air activities, from one tree to another, with pulleys, Tibetan bridges, cables, nets, all in absolute safety.
• Dinner under the stars in the mountains at Col Drusciè refuge at an altitude of 1780 meters. Then a visit to the “Helmut Ullrich” Astronomic Observatory to see the most fascinating objects in our skies in summer.
• Dinner in a refuge and descent by sledge at moonlight
• Snow driving and Go-karting on ice
• Snowmobile tours
• Hot Tub or Sauna at high altitude in mountain refuges.
The Cristallo Hotel is a Family Hotel. A space completely dedicated to kids is available indoor and a play ground outside. The « Scoiattolo Kids Club » will function with qualified staff in high season periods. On request experience babysitters available.
La Veranda restaurant opens early, at 7pm and highchairs, cutlery set and kids menus are available.
Every comfort detail is fully taken care of, indeed the rooms are provided with a bottle warmer, a changing table and night-lights to soothe and kiss the kids good night.
To combine fun, relax and a hint of style, along with Cristallo customised slippers and bathrobes, we offer “Topo Gigio” cartoon as complimentary toiletries that, thanks to their natural olive oil extracts, ideal for the little ones’ skin, will make the bath time an even more enjoyable moment.
The Hotel has 74 rooms (panoramic valley and mountain view) on 5 floors, all featuring:
King Size beds (180*200 cm), Anallergic natural latex mattresses, Digital Satellite LCD TV, SKY TV, High speed Wi-Fi internet connection, Telephone and Fax line, Jacuzzi bath (except for the 4 rooms with disabled facilities and 1 suite, Jacuzzi shower, Minibar, Safe, Hair dryer, Radio/TV remote speakers and phone in bathroom.
• 14 Classic Rooms (from 22 sqm) The choice of furnishings, fabrics and canopied beds add a unique stylish touch perfect for a relaxing holiday. All rooms have Carrara marble in the bathroom and Jacuzzi baths (except for the 4 with disabled facilities).
• 33 Superior Rooms (including 11 Twins, from 30 sqm) Large, comfortable rooms incorporating a living area. All furnished with delicate woodwork, decorated with fine-knotted carpets and refined hand painted floral wall decorations. Large bathroom with Jacuzzi bath.
• 5 Junior Suites (from 37 sqm) Junior suites feature extra special views and large balconies over the valley, precious textiles, hand-made embellishments, soft colours.
• 22 Suites (from 38 sqm) Each elegantly furnished suite is unique. They all have a spacious living room, a bedroom, some have a walk-in closet, and they all feature hand-decorated woodwork on the ceilings.
Our suites include:
• 7 Royal Suites (from 65 to 205 sqm) A new concept in large suites for an exclusive holiday with all the comforts of home. Each suite is different in form and furnishings and infused with the magic of the great figures who have stayed in them in the past: Duke Amedeo D’Aosta, Gabriele D’Annunzio, King Umberto of Savoy, Vladimir Nabokov, Arthur Rubinstein.
• 2 Presidential Suites (from 120 to 180 sqm) Two proper apartments, with two bedrooms and a spacious living room with business desk. These rooms offer maximum comfort and privacy and feature an exclusive Private Hammam with chromotherapy in the master bedroom, to enjoy precious moments of relax and well-being.
A peculiarity: at the Cristallo Hotel, no room is exactly like another. Each room is unique and precious, designed with loving care. Adjoining rooms are available for families, and the hotel has 4 wheelchair accessible rooms.
Restaurants & Bars
The menu offered by the Queen’s « jewel » has always been a true paradise for the most demanding palates and lovers of good food. The Cristallo Hotel Spa & Golf has differentiated its five-star dining, offering a variety of spaces and ambiances.
• The Gazebo restaurant
A marvel for the eyes and for the palate – the Il Gazebo restaurant, at the Cristallo Hotel Spa & Golf, provides a spectacular visual experience, offering a unique “glass-enclosed stage” from where to take in the breathtaking views of the Tofane mountains opposite, whilst enjoying a refined gourmet menu, personally prepared by executive chef. It offers a veritable treat for the senses.
• La Veranda del Cristallo Restaurant
A trip to Italy to sample the best of the beautiful country’s delicacies. The extremely popular gastronomic dishes at the Hotel Cristallo’s La Veranda Restaurant « confuse » and exalt the traditional flavours of the region. From the Alps to the sea, an unmissable experience, at close range, from the peaks that surround the entire Hotel in an embrace.
• The Chef’s private table
A corner of paradise for true connoisseurs. The evocative location offers an exclusive gourmand experience led by our executive Chef, who will present and prepare a number of tasting menus matched with purposely selected wines. Ideal for private dinners with a maximum of 12 guests. After delighting his patrons with the art of cooking, the Chef will round off the experience with a surprise …!
• La Stube 1872 restaurant
Home sweet home. There just had to be, within this five-star luxury hotel, at least one area dedicated entirely to the traditions of the local food and wine. It offers the perfect opportunity to sample all the authenticity of a mountain atmosphere, surrounded by the warmth of the wood lining its walls and the majolica stove, in the perfect style of Ampezzo, offering recipes and classical aromas and a fine selection of wines made exclusively in the Veneto region.
The Cristallo Ultimate Spa is the kingdom of the most precious luxury: time devoted to yourself in an extraordinary environment, where relaxation, beauty and fitness lie at the heart of a philosophy of pure pleasure for body and soul. The Cristallo Ultimate Spa, with its splendid semi-circular covered pool overlooking the Tofane Mountains, hammam, thermarium, relaxarium, Transvital Swiss Beauty Centre and FitWell Club is a magical and attractive place, a true temple to beauty and the joy of living, where you can discover all the secrets of total well-being. It occupies two floors and over 1,600 m² of space overlooking the view of the Dolomites, where charm, comfort, professionalism, care, scientific research, technology and a selection of world-class wellness services combine to provide an enchanting selection. Here you can forget about stress, recover from fatigue, regain vital energy, rediscover harmony and happiness and live your holiday with a new, intense and profound relish.
Corporate & Celebration Events
The hotel also offers two areas designed specifically for banquets and meetings: the elegant and refined Gustavo III Hall can accommodate from 20 to 100 people, ideal for parties, screenings and seminars, while the quieter, more intimate Goethe Hall (10-15 seats) is ideal for small business meetings and lunches.
Extra Notable Features
The Cristallo Hotel Spa & Golf, one of the founders of the Golf Cortina Association in 2001, signed an important partnership in 2009 giving hotel guests exclusive access to the Cortina Golf Club, dedicated to golf lovers and habitués of the Queen of the Dolomites. With the approval of the project for extension from 9 to 18 holes, this breathtakingly beautiful course surrounded by majestic mountain scenery is gearing up to become part of the Olympus of international circuits.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
The perfect blend of luxury and comfort have earned the Cristallo the prestigious international recognition of the World Travel Awards 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2010, proclaiming it the best Ski Resort in Italy and, in the 2007 and 2009 editions the best ski resort in Europe and in 2013 as best ski hotel. It was also awarded the 2011 Seven Stars and Stripes award for luxury hospitality, receiving six stars out of seven for the Cristallo Ultimate Spa. The hotel’s latest recognition is the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence awarded in the summer 2012, 2013 and 2014: the most important travel website in the world has in fact awarded the renowned hotel a prestigious certificate of approval by the community’s travellers, granted to only 10% of the hotels handled by the website.
Number of employees