De L’Europe Amsterdam The Netherlands
De L’Europe Amsterdam
Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2-14, 1012 CP Amsterdam
Heineken International Holding
Date of Creation
23 September 1896
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Tom Krooswijk – Managing Director
5-star Luxury hotel
The entire hotel is renovated between 2009-2011. In 2014 we opened our doors of the brand new leading spa : Skins Institute – De L’Europe Spa & Wellness
De L’Europe Amsterdam
History & Story
Up to the fifteenth century, Amsterdam had never had any need for walls for defense purposes. The city was situated in the middle of marshlands and swamps. In 1482, when the danger of war was imminent, within one year the citizen of the completed the construction of a whole wall with towers at its farthest corners. One of these towers was called “Rondeel”, built in 1535, and right on the spot where Hotel de l’Europe is now standing.
On April 27, 1895 the construction started on the new hotel and was re-opened on September 23, 1896 as Hotel de l’Europe. The architect, W. Hamer, who also designed Hotel Suisse (which has since burned down) in Kalver Street and the pavilion in Vondel Park, succeeded in incorporating certain elements of the old style of the side facades into the new building, giving it a romantic exterior. The hotel which was separated completely from the caf, had 50 rooms. It had a lovely dining room and a smaller one for intimate dinners. With its elevator, central heating, gas and electricity, the hotel provided all the comforts of a real first-class hotel at the time, especially since it also had a bath and toilet on every floor. This was quite a luxury since the guests in the old ‘Rondeel’ before 1895 had to visit the bathhouse opposite the hotel on the Rokin Street!
Following a complete renovation in 2009 of the Theordoor Gillisen Bank just next door, De L’Europe opened the new Dutch Masters Wing, an all-suite annex of 23 uniquely appointed, spacious loft-like quarters each with a different yet exacting replica from the nearby Rijksmuseum National Gallery. The Dutch Masters Wing features separate entrances for discretion, elegant new private dining rooms for events, and a heated indoor swimming pool and fitness center with panoramic views of the Amstel River.
In 2011, De L’Europe earned a spot on Conde Nast Travelers coveted Readers’s Choice list; it is Amsterdam’s only hotel to make the magazine’s 2011 Gold list. De L’Europe re-opened its doors after a 65 million euro renovation. The main building with 109 rooms and suites was reduced to just 88 rooms and suites by expanding the size of the rooms. With the addition of 23 modern design suites in the Dutch Masters Wing, a grand total of 111 rooms and suites exists between both sides.
2009-2011 : Entire hotel by Cees Dam Architects
2014 : A brand new Spa & Wellness by Skins Institute.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The unique strenghts of De L’Europe are :
• The location : the hotel is situated right in the historic city centre of Amsterdam along the beautifully appointed Amstel River and close to city’s key points of interest as Flower Market and Dam Square.
• The partnership : In close collaboration with the renowned Rijksmuseum, De L’Europe is showcasing 111 guestrooms and suites with a true replica of a Dutch Masters. In this way, every room has it’s own dedicated piece of art.
• The terrace : A warm-weather terrace where trendy riverside dining pairs with eclectic café favourites and seasonal local specialties. Enjoying a spectacular alfresco setting atop a charming open-air patio. The terrace offers fabulous views fo Amsterdam’s legendary canals.
• Award-winning restaurant : De L’Europe is a hub of haute cuisine, boasting a selection of the city’s finest restaurants overseen by Executive Chef Richard van Oostenbrugge. Bord’Eau with two Michelin stars has redefined Amsterdam’s fine dining scene. Exceptional ingredients are blended to create symphonies of flavour, all complemented by the finest wines from around the globe.
• A Leading Spa of the World : Skins Institute – De L’Europe invites you to experience a tranquil haven designed to lavishly pamper, indulge and nourish your mind, body and spirit.
De L’Europe Amsterdam, also referred to as The Grand Dame amongst Amsterdam’s legendary 5 star luxury hotels and member of The Leading Hotels of the Worlds, is overlooking the beautiful Amstel River in the heart of Amsterdam and offers convenient access to several of the world’s heralded museums and Amsterdam’s key points of interest. A quick 25 minute drive from Schiphol International Airport or just a 15 minute walk from Central Station, the hotel’s refined atmosphere and gracious service define the quintessential Amsterdam experience. The city’s rich culture and history, combined with the vibrancy of its citizens and world-class attractions, offer something unique to every visitor.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Rijksmusem : The Rijksmuseum is the largest museum in The Netherlands, with more than a million visitors each year. The Rijksmuseum is a familiar Amsterdam landmark and possesses an unrivalled collection of Dutch art, from masters of the Golden Age.
• Van Gogh Museum : The museum houses the worlds largest collection of works by Vincent Van Gogh, with some 200 paintings and 550 sketches showing Van Gogh in al his moods.
• Stedelijk Museum : Built in 1985 to a neo-Renaissance design by AM Weissman, the Stedelijk Museum is the permanent home of the National Museum of Modern Art.
• Anne Frank House : Anne Frank is one of Amsterdam’s most well known former residents.
• Dam Square : As the site of the Royal Palace, Dam square often is the focus of events of national importance. At the very centre and heart of Amsterdam and close to De L’Europe it has seen many historical dramas unfold over the years.
• Amsterdam Canals : The number of canals has lead to Amsterdam being referred to as `The Venice of the North´. Therefore, a trip to Amsterdam is not complete without a canal cruise.
• The Nine Streets : Located in the heart of the city’s historic canal district, this area of nine narrow streets called the Negen Straatje was constructed during the 17th century. The Nine Streets intersect the main canals between the Leidstestraat and the Jordaan district, and are dotted with great restaurants, cafés, art galleries, jewelers, boutiques and vintage stores.
• The Kalverstraat and Leidsestraat: The two main shopping streets in Amsterdam’s city centre are the Kalverstraat and the Leidsestraat.
De L’Europe Amsterdam is privately owned by Heineken Holding International.
De L’Europe Amsterdam offers tailor-made programmes for children upon request.
• Number of rooms in all -> total 111 rooms
• Superior rooms – available with courtyard view only
• Deluxe rooms – available with courtyard view / street view / Amstel river view
• Premium Deluxe rooms – available with courtyard view / street view / Amstel river view
• Junior Suites – available with courtyard view / street view / Amstel river view
• Deluxe one Bedroom Suite – available with courtyard view / street view / Amstel river view
• Prestige one Bedroom Suite – available with courtyard view / street view / Amstel river view
• 6 bedroom Penthouse with Amstel river view.
Restaurants & Bars
Two Michelin Stars awarded Bord’Eau offers a culinary adventure directed by Executive Chef Richard van Oostenbrugge. Exceptional ingredients are blended to create symphonies of flavour, all complemented by the finest wines from around the globe.
• Hoofdstad Brasserie
The bright, cosmopolitan and casual elegant Hoofdstad Brasserie is open all day, every day, serving sumptuous breakfast and for lunch and dinner light. Inspired by an international cuisine and modern interpretations served. Our Executive Chef Richard van Oostenbrugge prepares a menu that always reflects the seasonal specialties.
• Freddy’s Bar
Named in honour of its most famous patron, Freddy’s Bar is a landmark Amsterdam Dutch brown bar frequented by Amsterdam’s glitterati. Kick back and relax to the smooth sound of a live pianist while nibbling on gourmet snacks. Freddy’s is renowned for the city’s best Bloody Mary, and is frequently nominated by reviewers as Amsterdam’s finest hotel bar.
Traditional old-world charm co-exists with classic design in this peaceful grand passageway at De L’Europe’s heart. Promenade recreates the sense of a private art gallery, serving the city’s most comprehensive list of old and new-world wines by the glass, exquisite cocktails, authentic London High Tea, and a light menu of gourmet snacks from its avant garde cocktail bar.
• Hèt Terras
A warm-weather terrace where trendy riverside dining pairs with eclectic café favourites and seasonal local specialties. Enjoying a spectacular alfresco setting atop a charming open-air patio. Hèt Terras offers fabulous views of Amsterdam’s legendary canals.
De L’Europe invites you to experience a tranquil haven designed to lavishly pamper, indulge and nourish your mind, body and spirit. This sanctuary of seclusion offers luxurious body treatment and sublime skincare, combining organic ingredients with the nurturing care of our expert therapists.
Rest and serenity of the mind and body in an atmoshpere of luxury and comfort. With a variety of treatment rooms, saunas, a swimming pool and fitness studio, Skins Institute – De L’Europe has been tailored-made to allow guests to travel straight to the heart of it’s multi-sensorial experience. The spa treatments have been especially created to meet the needs and desires of each individual guest.
Other special features :
• Four treatment rooms for single and double occupancy ;
• Beauty salon for hair and make-up ;
• A variety of manicures and pedicures options are offered ;
• Relax room with a patio along the Amstel River ;
• Infrared sauna ;
• Traditional Finish sauna ;
• Turkish steambath.
Corporate & Celebration Events
A distinctive landmark for more than a century, De L’Europe is an ideal location for board meetings, conferences, weddings, parties, social and corporate events. From luxurious events to casual gatherings on the terrace, each of the seven private event room is exquisitely appointed. Many of the rooms are connected, all harmoniously designed so guests can move seamlessly from reception or a meeting to a lunch or dinner. More than 600 square meters of event space featuring state-of-the-art technology and chic surroundings provoke the mind and spirit. The private event rooms within the elegant new Dutch Masters Wing offer natural daylight, a separate entrance for privacy, and stunning city or Amstel river views. Options are endless in a boutique environment and personalized service. Customized menus and a world-class wine list make this legendary hotel the perfect setting for any event.
Extra Notable Features
Guest Services: Pre-arranged attraction tickets, Butler service for packing and unpacking, Clefs D’Or Concierge, Business Centre with secretarial assistance, Valet Parking service, 24 hour in-room dining, Limousine service, Private jetty, Personal shopping, Amenities for children, Babysitting service, Amenities for pets.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
Condé Nast Traveler Amsterdam Top Hotels
Prix Villégiature Award : Grand Prix du Meilleur Hotel en Europe Award 2013 – Best Hotel in Europe 2013
Condé Nast Traveler : Reader’s Choice Awards 2013 – Number 1 Hotel in Amsterdam
Condé Nast Traveler : Reader’s Choice Awards 2014 – Top 25 Hotels in Europe : #1 in The Netherlands
Gault Millau : Richard van Oostenbrugge – Chef of the Year 2014.
Number of employees