De L’Europe Amsterdam The Netherlands
De L’Europe Amsterdam
Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2-14, 1012 CP Amsterdam
Heineken International Holding
Date of Creation
23 September 1896
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Edward Leenders – Managing Director
5-star Luxury hotel
In 2020 a complete redesign of the ground floor took place. The guestrooms have been renovated between 2009-2011. A redesign of the guestrooms are scheduled. The entire hotel is renovated between 2009-2011. In 2014 we opened our doors of the brand new leading spa: Skins Institute – De L’Europe Spa & Wellness.
De L’Europe Amsterdam
History & Story
In the heart of Amsterdam, in walking distance of the plush 19th century Museum Quarter, the pinnacle of sophistication and cultural bohemia with the Rijksmuseum, the Stedelijk Museum and Van Gogh Museum and with its prime location on the banks of the Amstel river, De L’Europe is synonymous with Dutch rich history. Since the first official opening in 1896, De L’Europe has been favoured by Amsterdam’s elite and the hotel continues to attract the world’s most celebrated names. Experience and explore a unique entrée into the Amsterdam of yesterday and today by arriving at De L’Europe.
Admire true replicas from the Dutch Masters like Frans Hals and Rembrandt van Rijn in the Promenade whereas replicas of Dutch Masters like Jan Steen, Johannes Vermeer and Floris van Dijck decorate the walls of the rooms and suites in the historical Rondeel building. Adjacent to the hotel, the suites at the contemporary Dutch Masters Wing offer a selection of modern colours that form the basis for replicas of Dutch Masters like Pieter Codde and Pieter Saenredam. Guests may enjoy culinary highlights at the Michelin-star rated Bord’Eau Restaurant Gastronomique, the casual-chic Marie Brasserie and Marie Sur l’eau with a Mediterranean twist, the city’s most popular Summer hotspot overlooking the buzzing city centre of Amsterdam, complemented by exclusive wines from the private wine cellar ‘Les Caves De L’Europe’.
Kick back and relax at the Amsterdam’s inspired gentlemen’s pub Freddy’s Bar to sample a traditional Heineken beer or sip on one of the signature cocktails. To complete your Amsterdam experience, indulge yourself with one of the bespoke beauty treatments at the Spa & Wellness ‘Le Spa by Skins Institute’. Feel at home in an iconic 19th-century treasure and be surrounded by cultural heritages while exploring a modern vibrant city.
‘t Huys – Experience the very essence of Amsterdam in ’t Huys. A place where local icons of art, style and luxury come together and where every guest of De L’Europe finds Original Amsterdam Luxury
2009-2011: Entire hotel by Cees Dam Architects
2014: A brand new Spa & Wellness by Skins Institute.
2020 : A complete redesign of the ground floor took place.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The unique strengths of De L’Europe are :
• The location: the hotel is situated right in the historic city centre of Amsterdam along the beautifully appointed Amstel River and close to the city’s key points of interest as Flower Market and Dam Square.
• The partnership: In close collaboration with the renowned Rijksmuseum, De L’Europe is showcasing 111 guestrooms and suites with a true replica of a Dutch Masters. In this way, every room has it’s own dedicated piece of art.
• The terrace: A warm-weather terrace where trendy riverside dining pairs with eclectic café favourites and seasonal local specialities. Enjoying a spectacular alfresco setting atop a charming open-air patio. The terrace offers fabulous views fo Amsterdam’s legendary canals.
• Award-winning restaurant: De L’Europe is a hub of haute cuisine, boasting a selection of the city’s finest restaurants overseen by Executive Chef Bas van Kranen. Michelin-starred Bord’Eau Restaurant Gastronomique has redefined Amsterdam’s fine dining scene. Exceptional ingredients are blended to create symphonies of flavour, all complemented by the finest wines from around the globe.
• A Leading Spa of the World: Skins Institute – De L’Europe invites you to experience a tranquil haven designed to lavishly pamper, indulge and nourish your mind, body and spirit.
De L’Europe Amsterdam, also referred to as The Grand Dame amongst Amsterdam’s legendary 5-star luxury hotels and member of The Leading Hotels of the Worlds, is overlooking the beautiful Amstel River in the heart of Amsterdam and offers convenient access to several of the world’s heralded museums and Amsterdam’s key points of interest. A quick 25-minute drive from Schiphol International Airport or just a 15-minute walk from Central Station, the hotel’s refined atmosphere and gracious service define the quintessential Amsterdam experience. The city’s rich culture and history, combined with the vibrancy of its citizens and world-class attractions, offer something unique to every visitor.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Rijksmuseum: The Rijksmuseum is the largest museum in The Netherlands, with more than a million visitors each year. The Rijksmuseum is a familiar Amsterdam landmark and possesses an unrivalled collection of Dutch art, from masters of the Golden Age.
• Van Gogh Museum: The museum houses the worlds largest collection of works by Vincent Van Gogh, with some 200 paintings and 550 sketches showing Van Gogh in al his moods.
• Stedelijk Museum: Built-in 1985 to a neo-Renaissance design by AM Weissman, the Stedelijk Museum is the permanent home of the National Museum of Modern Art.
• Anne Frank House: Anne Frank is one of Amsterdam’s most well known former residents.
• Dam Square: As the site of the Royal Palace, Dam square often is the focus of events of national importance. At the very centre and heart of Amsterdam and close to De L’Europe it has seen many historical dramas unfold over the years.
• Amsterdam Canals: The number of canals has lead to Amsterdam being referred to as `The Venice of the North´. Therefore, a trip to Amsterdam is not complete without a canal cruise.
• The Nine Streets: Located in the heart of the city’s historic canal district, this area of nine narrow streets called the Negen Straatje was constructed during the 17th century. The Nine Streets intersect the main canals between the Leidstestraat and the Jordaan district and are dotted with great restaurants, cafés, art galleries, jewellers, boutiques and vintage stores.
• The Kalverstraat and Leidsestraat: The two main shopping streets in Amsterdam’s city centre are the Kalverstraat and the Leidsestraat.
De L’Europe Amsterdam is privately owned by Heineken Holding International.
De L’Europe Amsterdam offers tailor-made programmes for children upon request.
• Number of rooms in all -> total of 111 rooms
• Deluxe rooms – available with courtyard view/street view / Amstel river view
• Premium Deluxe rooms – available with courtyard view/street view / Amstel river view
• Junior Suites – available with courtyard view/street view / Amstel river view
• Deluxe one Bedroom Suite – available with courtyard view/street view / Amstel river view
• Prestige one Bedroom Suite – available with courtyard view/street view / Amstel river view
• 6 bedroom Penthouse with Amstel river view.
Restaurants & Bars
A light, fresh cuisine with a menu full of sparkling, flavourful sensations, recognizable dishes and unique textures. This is the style of dynamic Executive Chef Bas van Kranen, of Bord’Eau Restaurant Gastronomique the Michelin-starred restaurant
A hidden gem of its own. The brasserie named after a strong an independent woman, the wife of Gerard Heineken, Marie offers French cuisine and a more informal approach to fine dining. Marie is located right on the waterfront deck, with a subtle hint of the Mediterranean, Sur l’eau is Marie’s waterline extension. Open to both hotel guests and locals.
• Freddy’s Bar
Named in honour of its most famous patron, Freddy’s Bar is a landmark Amsterdam Dutch brown bar frequented by Amsterdam’s glitterati. Kick back and relax to the smooth sound of a live pianist while nibbling on gourmet snacks. Freddy’s is renowned for the city’s best Bloody Mary and is frequently nominated by reviewers as Amsterdam’s finest hotel bar.
• The Library Bar
A bar with stunning views over the Amstel River and reminiscent to a sophisticated library. Cozy corners with deep sofa’s and club chairs decorate the room together with the high book shelves and chic décor elements. It is the ideal location to have a moment for yourself. From reading the newspaper in the morning to enjoying a glass of Champagne late afternoon.
• Trattoria Graziella
At Graziella you can enjoy authentic dishes prepared in a relaxed and vibrant atmosphere by Italian chef Luigi di Benedetto from Siano – Italy, near Naples. The food is straightforward and tasteful – made from the best ingredients of the season and always freshly prepared.
De L’Europe invites you to experience a tranquil haven designed to lavishly pamper, indulge and nourish your mind, body and spirit. This sanctuary of seclusion offers luxurious body treatment and sublime skincare, combining organic ingredients with the nurturing care of our expert therapists.
Rest and serenity of the mind and body in an atmoshpere of luxury and comfort. With a variety of treatment rooms, saunas, a swimming pool and fitness studio, Skins Institute – De L’Europe has been tailored-made to allow guests to travel straight to the heart of it’s multi-sensorial experience. The spa treatments have been especially created to meet the needs and desires of each individual guest.
Other special features :
• Four treatment rooms for single and double occupancy ;
• Beauty salon for hair and make-up ;
• A variety of manicures and pedicures options are offered ;
• Relax room with a patio along the Amstel River ;
• Infrared sauna ;
• Traditional Finish sauna ;
• Turkish steam bath.
Corporate & Celebration Events
A distinctive landmark for more than a century, De L’Europe is an ideal location for board meetings, conferences, weddings, parties, social and corporate events. From luxurious events to casual gatherings on the terrace, each of the five private event room is exquisitely appointed. Many of the rooms are connected, all harmoniously designed so guests can move seamlessly from reception or a meeting to a lunch or dinner. More than 400 square meters of event space featuring state-of-the-art technology and chic surroundings provoke the mind and spirit. The private event rooms within the elegant new Dutch Masters Wing offer natural daylight, a separate entrance for privacy, and stunning city or Amstel river views. Options are endless in a boutique environment and personalized service. Customized menus and a world-class wine list make this legendary hotel the perfect setting for any event.
Extra Notable Features
Guest Services: Pre-arranged attraction tickets, Butler service for packing and unpacking, Clefs D’Or Concierge, Business Centre with secretarial assistance, Valet Parking service, 24 hour in-room dining, Limousine service, Private jetty, Personal shopping, Amenities for children, Babysitting service.
Number of employees