Grand Hotel Majestic “già Baglioni” Bologna, Italy
Grand Hotel Majestic “già Baglioni”
Via dell’Indipendenza, 8 40121 Bologna (BO)
Private Owner : DUETORRIHOTELS SPA
Date of Creation
1912 Historical Building – Last Rennovation : August 2016
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Tiberio Biondi
Grand Hotel Majestic « già Baglioni » General Manager
5-star deluxe The Leading Hotels of the World member, Virtuoso, Condé Nast Johansens
GRAND HOTEL MAJESTIC “GIÀ BAGLIONI”
History & Story
The imposing and magnificent building that, for a century, has housed one of the most beautiful hotels in Italy is located along the most representative street of the historic centre of Bologna and was built for a completely different purpose.
In 1732, the Bolognese Cardinal Prospero Lambertini (who later became Pope Benedict XIV) ordered the building of a new Archdiocesan Seminary and to this end he purchased (the deed is dated June 1st, 1732) and demolished the front of the old Ariosti houses. The work was entrusted to the architect Alfonso Torreggiani and lasted for about two decades. In 1751 the seminarians could finally move into the new premises.
In 1772, Cardinal Vincenzo Malvezzi built the portico of 23 arches on the ground floor of the façade along via dell’Indipendenza, thus destroying some rooms of the seminary. The decision was made to make more usable space in front of the cathedral of San Pietro. The work was entrusted to architect Francesco Tadolini and completed in a year.
The architecture of the Grand Hotel is connected and merged into a single cluster with that of an older building, the elegant Palazzo Fava Ghisilardi, whose main entrance is now located in the adjacent via Manzoni. It was commissioned by Bartolomeo Ghisilardi and built between 1484 and 1491 on a design by Master Zilio Montanari and is considered one of the most illustrious Renaissance building in Bologna.
The edifice is currently part of a historical art itinerary created by Genus Bononiae – Carisbo Foundation, which aims to highlight the heritage and unique character of the city of Bologna.
2010-2016. Starting from 2010, the Hotel has completely restored in all the rooms and common areas.
The Health and Wellness Center, with a state-of-the-art Technogym fitness area, is available to all our guests.
Another work of renewal at the Grand Hotel Majestic: the statuary marble with black Marquina inserts, stands decorated with geometric combinations that support the white colonnade of white marble, will be now present on the 2nd and 3rd floor, a sign of exclusivity and preciousness.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Grand Hotel Majestic “già Baglioni” – Bologna is located in the heart of the city in a very short walking distance from the main city seeing of the city and overlooks the St. Peter’s Cathedral, which is one of the symbols of the Bologna.
Exclusive destination of “taste” where our discerning clients can find the traditional recipes of the Emilia Romagna’s cuisine (Three Forks Michelin) in an atmosphere unparalleled in contact with masterpieces of Italian art. This wonderful museum is among the highest expressions of the fifteenth-century painting and shows the wonderful frescoes of the school of the Carracci brothers. The Chef, with a prestigious curriculum at major Restaurants, proposes a traditional Bolognese menu flanked by innovative proposals.
The restaurant seats up to 70 guests. The Michelin Guide has awarded the “Three Forks” to I Carracci Restaurant. This prestigious award confirms its attentive enhancement of gastronomic made in Italy culture.
Grand Hotel Majestic is in the heart of the city of Bologna, only 50 metres from Piazza Maggiore.
In a very short walkable distance to the downtown areas.
Key sites/activities in the area
Grand hotel Majestic is the only five stars luxury Hotel in the city – part of The Leading Hotels of the World since 1990, located in Bologna (see more about our Grand Hotel), marvelous Medieval city that is becoming more and more important thanks to its location, in the heart of Italy, very closed to Florence, Milan, Verona, Venice, and even Rome and renowned for:
– Culture, thanks to the oldest University in Europe which is born in Bologna. Moreover, our Concierge will be pleased to support you with the reservation of a unique service – created by ourselves – which offers an exclusive “personal art service” (see more here).
– Leisure, since it is located in the Motor land, surrounded by the most important Motor Factories (Lamborghini, Ferrari, Ducati, Maserati, Pagani) (see more here);
– Gastronomy, Bologna has been named The City Of Food thanks to Tortellino, Ragout Bolognese, gelaterie (Gelato shops) and Gelato Museum, close to Modena where it is possible to visit Balsamic Vinegar factories and Parma where to find Parmigiano Reggiano and Parma Ham factories (our Concierge will be happy to help you with booking to the factories) (see more here)
Children under 13 are free of charge starting from a Deluxe Room.
The hotel will provide baby coat or extra bed when necessary.
• Number of suites: 20
• Number of Luxury rooms: 54
• We consider luxury rooms from Deluxe room category. There are also other luxury room categories: Gran Deluxe, Junior Suite, Art Déco terrace suite, suite.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 106
• Classic and Superior categories are also available.
DELUXE AND GRAND DELUXE CATEGORY: Large and very comfortable, the room is lavishly furnished in a classic style with a four-poster bed, an antique chest of drawers and a Murano-glass chandelier.
Both dressing area and bathroom are in marble and include two washbasins, a shower and a bath tub. Deluxe doubles feature: satellite TV, minibar, direct line telephone, Internet and writing desk.
Size: 32 sqm.
FREE WIFI in room and common areas
Restaurants & Bars
• I Carracci Restaurant
• Cafe’ Marinetti
• Morandi Wine Cellar
• ‘800 and ‘900 Rooms
• Winter Garden
• Terraces on the 1st floor
• The Grand Hotel Majestic’s brand new Health & Wellness is a metropolitan oasis in which you can appease your needs in terms of relaxation and well-being. This is the perfect place to indulge your senses and to rediscover harmony between body and soul after a day of intensive sightseeing or just to fight the daily stress. It features a Turkish bath, a sauna, an emotional shower with chromo therapy and an intimate and exclusive relaxing area.
A fitness area with state-of-the-art’s Technogym equipment complete our client’s relaxation break in the best possible way.
Corporate & Celebration Events
8 Meeting rooms – The Grand Hotel Majestic, a stone’s throw from Piazza Maggiore and the famous Two Towers of Bologna, has eight meeting rooms which can host up to 240 people, and are equipped with all the last technologies for successful meetings and events in the centre of Bologna.
Technical equipment: broadband connection, thru optical fiber, 5 Mbps minimum bandwidth guarantee
WiFi access, with 4th generation devices, supporting any current standard (802.11a/b/g/n) and “Virtual Cell/Virtual Access Point mode” providing fast and secure navigation, even in case of many simultaneous requests, concentrated in a limited area (as a meeting room).
Videoprojector 4000 Ansilumen
Audio System with 2 handing micros – 1 standing micros – 2 lapel micros
Stationary – Candy – Mineral water for all Guests
Extra Notable Features
• Cooking class
• Food Shopping
• Wine Tasting
• Personal Art Service : upon request, a professional art historian will be at your disposal in the Hotel to illustrate the features of the historical and artistic heritage of Bologna and of Emilia Romagna. You will be given some notion and information about masterpieces, monuments and museums of the city, together with an overview about the main historical and artistic sites of Emilia Romagna, about logistics and planning of your trip, about typical and characteristic places and aspects of this land, about curiosities unknown to most people, which could make your stay in Bologna a unique moment in your discovery of Italy.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
2016 – Condé Nast Johansens: Winner “Best for Meetings” of the “Luxury Hotels and Spas – UK, Europe and The Mediterranean 2017
2015 – Three Forks by Michelin Guide
Number of employees