Grand Hotel Timeo, A Belmond Hotel, Taormina Italy
Grand Hotel Timeo, A Belmond Hotel, Taormina
Via Teatro Greco 59, 98039 Taormina, Sicily, Italy
Date of Creation
1873, property of Belmond since 2010
Hotel General Manager
After a ten-year thriving career as General Manager for several luxury hotels, in 2014 Stefano Gegnacorsi took the lead of Grand Hotel Timeo, A Belmond Hotel, Taormina, as well as its sister property Villa Sant’Andrea in the role of Area Manager Sicily.
GRAND HOTEL TIMEO, A BELMOND HOTEL, TAORMINA
History & Story
Don Francesco La Floresta’s decision to convert his house into a hotel in 1873 made perfect sense. Ever since Prussian artist Otto Geleng returned to the mainland with watercolours depicting views from his guesthouse, he had received visitor after visitor. People from all over Europe wanted to see the panoramas for themselves. Well over a hundred years later, Grand Hotel Timeo’s breathtaking vistas and unique charm continue to enchant.
Light refurbishment of some rooms and suites in 2019.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
– Stunning location adjacent to the Greek Theatre and right in the centre of Taormina
– Unparalleled views on the Naxos Bay and Mount Etna
– Six-acre tropical gardens and panoramic swimming pool
– Superb regional cooking and Michelin-starred restaurant by Executive Chef, Roberto Toro
– Complimentary shuttle service to sister property Villa Sant’Andrea in the bay of Taormina Mare
– Private beach with luxury cabanas and kids’ club available at sister property Villa Sant’Andrea
– Complimentary daily boat excursions during summer at sister property Villa Sant’Andrea
Located right next to the magnificent Greek Theatre, the hotel boasts a prime position in the heart of Taormina.
Key sites/activities in the area
– Combine a fascinating trek on Mount Etna with a tasting of some exceptional volcanic wines.
– Set off in a vintage Fiat 500 and explore cinematic Sicily
– Embark on a culinary excursion in a small town near the Alcantara Gorge and learn how to cook Sicilian dishes, such as Pasta alla Norma and pistachio arancini.
– Take a tour of Taormina on the world’s most glamorous three-wheeler, the Ape Calessino
Otto Geleng is a culinary novelty launched by Grand Hotel Timeo to celebrate the 145 years since it opened its doors. Born in 2018 as a fine-dining restaurant, after only one year it has been awarded its first Michelin star. The exclusive location serves dinner only and is open to parties of up to 16 guests – the perfect location to enjoy a memorable evening.
From May to October, in a dedicated area next to the lobby of our sister property Villa Sant’Andrea, our Smile Club provides a supervised playroom where children can come and enjoy some time together with a professional English-speaking tutor. They can participate in exciting activities such as seashells hunting on the beach, authentic Sicilian cannoli making and many more.
Number of suites: 24 (from 35 to 98 sq m)
- Presidential Suite
- Exclusive Suite
- Deluxe Suite
- Executive Junior Suite
- Deluxe Junior Suite
- Superior Junior Suite
Number of Luxury rooms: 46 (from 20 to 50 sq m)
- Deluxe Double Room
- Family Room
- Gallery Room
- Superior Double Room
- Classic Double Room
Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 70
All accommodation includes: air conditioning – 24-hour room service – Mini-bar – Complimentary wireless/wired internet – Twice-daily housekeeping service – Satellite TV – DVD player upon request – Courtesy lines by Acqua di Parma – Nespresso machines and Bose SoundLink speakers in all Junior Suites and Suites
Restaurants & Bars
– Otto Geleng : Be one of just 16 guests to join us each evening for a culinary sensation inspired by German painter and Taormina legend, Otto Geleng. Executive Chef Roberto Toro’s Michelin-starred menu is a culinary riff on classic Mediterranean fare. Each dish is an enticing play on tradition and innovation. Savour every delectable moment as you admire the views that captivated Otto’s imagination.
– Ristorante Timeo : Soak up the mesmerising views of Mount Etna and the sea from our spectacular terrace. Feast on Sicilian specialties, accompanied by irresistible local wines.
– The Literary Terrace and Bar : Order a cool cocktail and relax as you absorb vistas that have entranced great writers and artists through the ages. Inside, the bar’s elegant Sicilian carpentry and antique fittings evoke a 19th-century winter garden.
– Pool Restaurant and Bar : From May to September, the tempting Pool Restaurant beckons. Sit in our shaded terraced gardens and linger over buffet-style appetisers, brick-oven pizza, pasta and specialities from the salad bar.
We invite you to enjoy unbridled Sicilian indulgence at our wellness centre in the verdant gardens. We offer three single treatment rooms, a couple’s treatment room and a romantic alfresco gazebo for couple’s massages. We also have a hairdressing salon offering a full range of services. Sport-lovers can stay active in the Fitness Centre fitted with new Technogym equipment and a variety of exercise machines to help you maintain your exercise regime.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Our sublime venues, set in colourful gardens with their own private entrance, include palatial ballrooms and outdoor terraces boasting beautiful views of the Greek Theatre, Mount Etna and Bay of Naxos. The hotel is ideal for weddings and celebrations, as well as corporate meetings and incentives.
Extra Notable Features
Guests can enjoy the facilities of sister property Villa Sant’Andrea and its private beach. The two properties are connected with a complimentary shuttle service.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
Travel + Leisure, 500 Best Hotels
Condé Nast Traveler, Readers’ Choice Awards, Top 20 Hotels in Italy #11
Condé Nast Traveler, Readers’ Choice Awards, Top Hotels in Italy #20
– Travel + Leisure, The Top 10 Resort Hotels in Italy #4
– Condé Nast Traveler, Top Hotels is Italy #16
Number of employees
Up to 150