Grand House Portugal
Avenida da República, n°171, 8900-203 Vila Real de Santo António,
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Marita Barth is a talented and successful hospitality professional. German born, she began her career in 2000, at the leading hotel Vila Vita Parc in Algarve, as Guest Relations Manager.
After two years, she was challenged to head up the Herdade dos Grous at Vila Vita Parc Vineyard Estate & Hotel in Alentejo, today one of Portugal’s best wine tourism destinations.
In 2010, Marita embarked on another starting project. She was appointed General Manager at the luxurious Cascade Wellness & Lifestyle Resort, in Lagos.
Five year later she joined Vila Joya as owner’s representative. Since 2017 Marita followed her professional instinct and ambition to bring the Grand Dame to life as General Manager. There is no doubt that Marita’s transformational leadership qualities will take the Grand family and transcend the “just” Grand to the “exceptional” Grand in years to come.
5-star Boutique Hotel
Grand House Collection
History & Story
Far in the east, in the heart of an authentic Algarve where serenity and the flavor of the past has been carefully conserved, a Grand Dame is coming back to life. With the reopening of the Grand House an icon of Portuguese hospitality is paid tribute after almost a century of dormancy. At the 5 star Boutique Hotel you enjoy the finest in Portuguese hospitality and cuisine in a sophisticated, unique setting that is a true reminiscence of a legendary era. Inspired by the eclectic feel of the Roaring Twenties, the Grand House retains it`s old charm with an mix of decorative richness, Art Nouveau elements, a touch of the baroque style and contemporary furnishing.
2018 – interior structure, design by White & Kaki
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The five-star boutique hotel Grand House, in the charming town of Vila Real de Santo António, has a prime waterfront location on the Rio Guadiana, the river that divides the Algarve from Spain. The charming, fully-restored building, which dates back to 1926, has 30 rooms and suites, all boasting a signature Grand style and interiors inspired by the the Roaring Twenties.
– One of Europe’s last unspoilt travel gems – eastern Algarve
– A unique Belle Époque hotel offering Algarvian authenticity and simplicity paired with a 1920s inspired grandeur
– A culinary destination itself where the restaurant serves traditional Portuguese cooking with a modern flair – recent member of Relais & Cahteaux
– Combined with an avant-garde & barefoot luxury style Beach Club just 5 min away
Vila Real de Santo António, East Algarve, Portugal
– Quiet, vintage pombaline town reaching back to the 17th Century
– Flanked by two Natural Reserves
– Close to the Ria Formosa Natural Park
– Characterful neighborhood that shows the traditional way of living
– Faro airport » 65 km and Sevilha Airport » 158km
Key sites/activities in the area
Grand Experiences :
One of Portugal’s best kept secrets, the Eastern Algarve and it`s charming historic towns with its unique architecture offer endless possibilities to explore unspoiled nature and an authentic way of living. Follow the footsteps of the Enlightenment, swim with tuna swarms, harvest your own Flor de Sal or go on a big sailing tour; we offer unique and tailor-made experiences to enjoy Grand Moments.
Oldest Hotel in Algarve
1st Business Hotel South of Lisbon
Open in 1926 as Grand Hotel Guadiana
No kids corner or any specific area for kids. However they are welcome
- Number of suites : 6
- Number of Luxury rooms : 24
- Number of rooms, (keys) in all : 30
Restaurants & Bars
- Grand Salon – Inspired by the feel of clubs in colonial times; here you can enjoy a fantastic breakfast and dinner. Chef’s Jan Stechmesser talented team creates traditional Algarvian food with a twist to showcase and preserve the Portuguese culinary heritage. Mix of seasonal flavors and international food with regional roots cuisine, based on organic and locally-sourced ingredients
- Grand Salon Bar – Portuguese wines and signature Grand cocktails – Interior design and menu inspired by the glamour of the legendary Twenties
- Grand Rooftop Bar – On the roof top – A stylish cocktail bar with views over the city.
- Grand Beach Club – A picturesque waterside venue where the river meets the sea. Chef Jan also signs the menu but invite our guests to lie back on a sunbed by our infinity pool, overlooking the sandbanks and the boats floating on the river, enjoy our restaurant’s authentic food, cool vibes and cocktails at sunset, living a truly Grand lifestyle.
- Wellness Suite
- Pool (infinity pool at Grand Beach Club)
Corporate & Celebration Events
- Grand Beach Club – events, weddings, etc – 50 inside, 100 outside
- Grand Salon – max capacity 30 pax
Extra Notable Features
- Grand Experiences can include: Gra|nd History, Olive Oil tour, Art, Salt Spa, Beach Horse Riding, etc but they are personalized
Hotel and restaurant Awards
- Open January 2019
Number of employees