Gstaad Palace Switzerland
Palacestrasse 28, 3780 Gstaad
Family-owned and managed by Family Scherz
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Andrea Scherz – running the hotel in third generation. Before Gstaad Palace he worked for various hotels such as the Beau-Rivage (Lausanne), the Savoy in London, and the InterContinental in Geneva. Also has a seat in various administrative boards of the tourism and hotel industry such as Swiss Deluxe Hotels, Leading Hotels of the World and the Gstaad-Saanenland Airport Association. Andrea Scherz graduated from the Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL) and has the highest degree in Hotel Management from the Swiss Hotelier’s Association.
Independent 5-star luxury hotel. Part of Swiss Deluxe Hotels, LHW, Amex FH&R and Signature Travel Network.
Focus on increasing business from European luxury Travel Designers.
History & Story
Opened its doors on 8 Dec 1913. In autumn 1938 Ernst and Silvia Scherz take over the management of the Gstaad Palace – in 1947 family Scherz bought all the shares to make it a family-owned hotel. In the 1960s, gala dinners with international stars such as Louis Armstrong and Marlene Dietrich cause a great sensation and that’s how the hotel got famous worldwide. In 1971 the famous nightclub GreenGo opened. On 8 Dec 2013 the hotel celebrates its 100th anniversary and the “100 Years of Gstaad Palace” anniversary book is published.
During both off-seasons (mid-March to mid-June + mid-September to mid-December) the hotel constantly renovates either its rooms, suites or public areas. Last renovation has been done in autumn 2019 on all the west-facing rooms and suites.
Date Added Extensions
1928: First Olympic-sized outdoor pool in Switzerland is built on Gstaad Palace’s ground; 1971: GreenGo opening; 1975: Opening restaurant “La Fromagerie”; 1979: Residences are built; 2000: Penthouse 3-bedroom Suite is built; 2009: Walig Hut (chalet) comes as addition for a unique and authentic Alpine experience.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Family-owned, independent, iconic architecture, place to be in Gstaad, trendsetter in F&B and spa offers.
Gstaad is located in the south western part of Switzerland. The region consists of 9 further chalet villages alongside Gstaad, located between 1000 and 1400 meters above sea level. There are great luxury and retail shopping options and is the perfect place for a family vacation. The Gstaad Airport is located in Saanen, which is a 10min drive from the hotel.
Key sites/activities in the area
– 3 ski slopes in Gstaad, 2 bigger ski areas (Schönried – Zweisimmen + Glacier 3000) close by
– Glacier 3000
– Traffic-free Promenade of Gstaad with boutiques and shops
– Different mountain lakes: Lake Lauenen, lake Arnen, lake Seeberg, lake Hornberg reservoir, lake Sanetsch, lake Retaud
– Sport activities possible such as: hiking, biking, mountain biking, golfing, swimming, climbing, skiing & snowboarding, cross-country skiing
– Our Swiss restaurant, La Fromagerie, used to be a gold vault
– Our Italian restaurant, Gildo’s, was named after one of our former Maître D’s Gildo Bocchini who worked 49 years at the Gstaad Palace
– Michael Jackson wanted to buy the Gstaad Palace!
Kids program available and mainly focused on 5 to 12 year olds. 3 to 5 year olds can take part if accompanied by a responsible person. This winter season (2019/2020) we had for the first time “Sammy’s Winter Adventure Park” where kids from 6 years old could participate in following activities: zip lining, wall and tree climbing, bows and arrows, Tipi tent activities, igloo building.
Total of 90 rooms
o 11 Deluxe Junior Suites
Size 55-62m², connecting door, South & West view, balcony.
o 4 Tower Junior Suites
Size 43-59m², 2 out of 4 with connecting door, North & West view, 2 out of 4 with balcony.
o 5 Alpines Suites
Size 72m², connecting door, South view, balcony.
o 4 Corner Suite
Size 92m², connecting door, South view, balcony.
o 4 Deluxe Suite
Size 90m², South view, balcony.
o 2 Tower 2-bedroom Suite
Size 190m², connecting door, South view, balcony.
o 1 Penthouse 3-bedroom Suite
Size 240m², Panoramic view, terrace.
The others Rooms Categories
o 5 Cosy rooms
Size 28-31m², 4 out of 5 connecting door, North view.
o 12 Classic Rooms
Size 33-37m², 7 out of 12 with connecting door, North view.
o 14 Classic Junior Suites
Size 43-50m², 4 out of 14 with connecting door, North & East view, 8 out of 14 with balcony.
o 5 Superior Rooms
Size 43m², connecting door, South view, 4 out of 5 with balcony.
o 17 Deluxe Rooms
Size 46-55m², connecting door, West & South view, 16 out of 17 with balcony.
o 1 Family 2-bedroom
Size 58m², South view.
Restaurants & Bars
• Le Grand Restaurant / La Grande Terrasse :
240 + 130 Seats, International cuisine, main restaurant.
• Le Grill – Rôtisserie :
35 Seats, Gourmet cuisine, 15 Gault Millau.
• La Fromagerie :
90 Seats, Typical Swiss dishes cuisine, winter only.
• Gildo’s Ristorante :
60 Seats, Italian cuisine, winter only.
• Snack Bar :
110 Seats, Light al fresco lunch cuisine, summer only, outside.
• Lobby Bar :
120 Seats, « Gstaad’s living room » ; live music.
• Le Bar du Grill :
60 Seats, elegant atmosphere with live music.
Palace Spa opened in Dec 2007. Size: 1800m2. Spa membership possible, Day Spa possible. Heated indoor and outdoor pool, gym, 8 treatment rooms, 1 unique Hammam experience and a relaxation lounge with a fireplace. Personal trainer and group sport classes available.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Salon du 1er :
21m², 10pax maximum capacity, perfect for smaller, intimate meetings.
• Salle Bridge :
32m², 40pax maximum capacity, can be connected with our biggest meeting venue.
• Salle Piero :
81m², 80pax maximum capacity, equipped with an implemented screen.
• Salle Expo :
88m², 60pax maximum capacity, can be connected to Le Grand Restaurant.
• Salle Baccarat :
240m², 350pax maximum capacity, equipped with a fireplace and stage.
Extra Notable Features
• Rent a Palace (RAP) offer – privatization of the hotel before and after the winter & summer seasons
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Number 2 of the 222 best hotels in Switzerland – Connoisseur Circle Switzerland
• Listed as one of the Top 100 Hotels of the world – Elite Traveler (International travel magazine)
• Number 4 of the best holiday hotels in Switzerland – SonntagsZeitung (CH)
• Andrea Scherz, Hotelier of the year 2019 – SonntagsZeitung (CH)
• Number 1 of the best holiday hotels in Switzerland – Bilanz (Swiss economics magazine)
• Gold list winner as one of the “World’s Top Properties” – Condé Nast Traveler (USA)
• Number 6 of the best holiday hotels in Switzerland – SonntagsZeitung (CH)
• Number 2 of the best holiday hotels in Switzerland – Biland (Swiss economics magazine)
• Gold list winner as one of the “Favorite Ski Lodges Around the World” – Condé Nast Traveler (USA)
• Number 5 of the 75 best winter hotels in Switzerland – SonntagsZeitung (CH)
• Number 1 of the best Ski hotels in Switzerland – Handelszeitung (CH)
• Number 2 of the best holiday hotels in Switzerland – Bilanz (Swiss economics magazine)
• Mario Guzzetti, bar chef of the year 2016 – Bilanz (Swiss economics magazine)
• Number 4 of the 75 best winter hotels in Switzerland – SonntagsZeitung (CH)
Number of employees
Max. 290 in winter, max. 230 in summer