1, avenue Louis Gaume, 33115 Pyla-sur-Mer
Privately owned – Owners Mr & Mrs Techoueyres
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Sophie and William Techoueyres, owners and managers, are the very soul of the establishment. As the Captain, William stands out as much for his physique as a former first division rugby player, as for his wholehearted generosity. By his side, Sophie manages the hotel with enthusiasm and efficiency. She has a natural gift for hospitality and enjoys greeting every guest personally. Determined to preserve the harmonious link between past and present that characterizes the resort, she is there to ensure that each guest has an exceptional stay.
5-Star Luxury Boutique Hotel
History & Story
The hotel Haïtza (« rock » in Basque) is firmly embedded in the collective memory of the inhabitants of Pyla. Built in 1930 by architect Louis Gaume, the establishment of neo-Basque architecture is the privileged witness of a Golden Age and the rise of the Silver Coast. Haïtza quickly became an emblematic place with an illustrious guest list: actress Annabella, fashion designer Jeanne Lanvin, the Rothschild family, Michelin, Charles Trenet and Yves Montand. The hotel became the essential meeting point for the Bay’s lovers, the epicenter of an eccentric and cosmopolitan cultural vibrancy.
In 2016, motivated by the desire to preserve and revive the hotel’s spirit, Sophie and William Techoueyres wish to breathe new life into Ha(a)ïtza, by providing this additional soul which is their strength and their success: a mixture of simplicity, proximity and elegance. The goal: give back to the hotel its panache of bygone times, to welcome their friends so they can discover the art of living and charms of the region that they adore. Already behind the revival of the Hotel La Co(o)rniche, they offer new life to Ha(a)ïtza and through Philippe Starck’s renovation, they continue their history on the banks of the Bay.
The hotel Ha(a)ïtza has thirty-eight rooms including seven suites and one apartment, and offers catering and relaxation areas with a spa, gym and hair salon, for stays that combine well-being and refinement
Fully refurbished and redesigned by Philippe Starck. Opened in 2016.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
– The decor designed by the emblematic Philippe Starck
– The Michelin-starred restaurant run by Chef Stéphane Carrade,
– The Sunday brunch,
– The swimming pool with his opening glass roof,
– The attractive geographic location, at 400 yd from the Dune du Pilat,
– The Spa REN Skincare,
– The hairdresser DAVID LUCAS,
– The family bakery
Backed to the highest sand dune in Europe, la Dune du Pilat, Ha(a)ïtza is located at the convergence of an extraordinary natural phenomena, a few minutes from Arcachon and about 65 km from Bordeaux Airport and 1 hour flight from Paris. If the hotel’s foundations are rooted in the sand of the Dune du Pyla, the spirit of the place is emancipated, is dematerialized, is the evocation of an idea left to the free interpretation of each, carrying in turns the contemporary charm of the Bay, memories of Africa or New York art galleries.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Dune du Pilat at 2 min.
• Cap ferret, Banc d’Arguin, Île aux oiseaux
• Bordeaux, Saint-Emilion.
There are also a lot of activities in the area: water taxi, excursions with local agencies, paragliding, hang-gliding, golf, tennis, bike ride, horse ride, canoe kayak, Jet Ski, surf, tubing, fly board, kite surf, paddle, water skiing & scuba diving.
– In the entrance, the intriguing corridor carries with it the memory of the place. A constellation of polished brass plaques displays the names of iconic figures behind the hotel, regular clients and local personalities.
– In the bar, the designer used enamelled lava tiles on the ground and Raujolles terracotta tiles on the walls, in an original and vivid color kaleidoscope, which transports us to an old cozy Brazilian bar
– In the gastronomic restaurant, three skiffs hang from the white porch of the veranda. These boats float above the tables, blurring the points of reference of the guests.
– The family pastry and its tea room recall the surrealist experience of Ha(a)ïtza and transport us to a daydream, a cross between Lewis Carroll and Walt Disney, which revives a childish nostalgia in each of us.
– The swimming pool is covered by a glass roof, which opens during sunny weather
Connecting rooms, Apartment with 2 rooms, babysitting available on request, Nearby beach.
Neo-Basque architecture, typical of the region, Hotel Ha(a)ïtza has 38 rooms, suites, junior suites and apartment.
Light wood, white tones with a touch of steel: the rooms with contemporary design abide by Philippe Starck’s best codes, for a refined and unpretentious style. The glazed shower rooms, equipped with walk-in showers, open onto pleasant, warm and personalized rooms bathed in sunlight. The genius of the designer. The bed, centrepiece of the room, faces the window, like an invitation to reverie, carried by the softness of the pines ….
– Classique Room (6 units) – 24 sqm
– Superieure Room (4 units) – 24 sqm
– Deluxe Room (20 units) – 24 sqm
– Junior Suite (2 units) – 46 sqm
– Suite (4 units) – 47 sqm
– Deluxe Suite (1 unit) – 58 sqm
– Apartment (1 unit) – 120 sqm
Room equipment (except for Classique Rooms) : Private balcony, TV with Canal, videos on request, Phone, Geneva® speaker, Free WIFI, Safe box, Mini bar, Nespresso® machine, Equipped bathroom, Hairdryer, Iron and ironing board, Courtesy kit, REN amenities, Flip flops.
Restaurants & Bars
– The Gourmet Restaurant: LE SKIFF CLUB, At the helm of this new thirty seat establishment, the Michelin-starred Chef Stéphane Carrade. This bon vivant, who grew up in the area, creates a signature cuisine, brings refinement to the simplest local products, sublimating the specialities by playing on new, surprising and subtle associations.
– The Bar: It’s the perfect place to relax at any time of the day and to share festive moments with friends or lovers. At nightfall, enjoy inventive cocktails concocted by a very inspired bartender. Essential passage for connoisseurs « in the know », the Ha(a)ïtza bar has established itself as the new not to be missed rendezvous of the Bay.
– Family Pastry and its tea room: Opened all day long, the teahouse counts a large selection of tea and organic herbal teas to accompany the poetic sweetness.
– The Café Ha(a)ïtza: open since June 2015 and located across the road of the hotel, if offers a simple and relaxed atmosphere. On the menu: fresh products and simple dishes like at home. The menu changes every day depending on the daily market and offers four options: a rotisserie, a grilled food, a home-made cooked dish, and fish.
– The Spa Ren Skincare: Adjacent to the pool, the REN® spa is accessible to all and offers beauty and relaxation spaces for peaceful breaks reshaping. It is equipped with four treatment rooms, a nail bar, a private aqua bike booth, a sauna, and a hair salon run by the charismatic David Lucas.
– With all the best equipment, the high tech fitness room allows a complete workout.
– The swimming pool is covered by a glass roof, which opens during sunny weather, there is also a Jacuzzi.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Seminars: Seminar rooms, Capacity: 50 people, Equipment : LCD screens, connection via WiFi.
Weddings and events: 200 guests in cocktail-dinner reception, Dinners for up to 130 people.
Hotel and Restaurant Awards
One Star Michelin Chef Stephane Carrade – Skiff Club