Ham Yard Hotel United Kingdom
Ham Yard Hotel
1 Ham Yard, London, W1D 7DT
Date of Creation
1st June 2014
Hotel General Manager
In March 2014, Laura started as General Manager of Ham Yard Hotel, prior to the hotel’s opening in June. Laura has worked within Firmdale Hotels since 2007, having started at nearby The Soho Hotel. Laura has many years of experience within the travel industry working for top hotels such as Great Victoria and Woodlands Hotel in Yorkshire.
5 star luxury boutique hotel,
part of Firmdale Hotels and represented internationally by Design Hotels
Ham Yard Hotel
History & Story
Firmdale Hotels opened its eighth London property, Ham Yard Hotel, on 1st June 2014. Tim and Kit Kemp, owners of Firmdale Hotels’, have designed Ham Yard Hotel with a distinctly urban village feel. Alongside the hotel’s 91 individually designed bedrooms and suites there are 24 residential apartments, a collection of 13 individual specialist stores and an airy restaurant and bar with outdoor dining and drinking.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Ham Yard Hotel is Tim and Kit Kemp’s largest, and most daring, design project to date. “Everything is on a much larger scale,” says Kit Kemp of not only the new hotel’s 91 bedrooms and suites, and 24 residential apartments, but of the vast public spaces that incorporate indoor and alfresco dining, two large bars, a four-lane bowling alley and 190 seat theatre, a gym and spa, a rooftop terrace and garden, sunken orangery and for guests, an elegant drawing room and curated private library.
Set on a three-quarter acre site in the heart of bustling Soho, a couple of blocks from Mayfair, the hotel revolves around a unique tree filled pedestrian thoroughfare connecting Great Windmill Street to Denman Street, opening up historic Ham Yard and Denman Place to the public for the first time since the 1960s. Its centrepiece is a specially commissioned large scale bronze sculpture by Tony Cragg.
Key sites/activities in the area
Ham Yard is urban renewal at its best. Previously a deserted ¾ acre site, it has been transformed into an all-new village reopening historic Ham Yard and connecting Great Windmill and Denman Streets via a tree-filled public thoroughfare. The hotel is in the heart of theatreland and is surrounded by Soho’s edgy bars, cafes and shops. Yet just a block away there is Mayfair with its array of sophisticated international luxury stores along Regent Street and Bond Street. World-class attractions, galleries and museums can be reached from the hotel’s central London location.
On the fourth floor roof terrace sits two active bee hives which provide honey for guests on the hotel’s breakfast table.
The gym also has its very own Hypoxic Studio. This is a fully equipped gym where the oxygen in the room can be altered to mimic various altitudes. This improves physical performance by enhancing muscle function and increasing the transport and uptake of oxygen by the body.
The monochrome bowling ball returns in the basement bowling alley are imported from Texas and manufactured by the iconic Brunswick company in the 1950’s and include original features such as hand warmers and visible return runs.
Families with children aged 7 years and up can hire several lanes in the bowling alley and spend an afternoon in The Croc ordering drinks and snacks from the bar menu.
• Number of rooms in all: 91
• Total number of floors with bedrooms: 5
• Number of twin rooms: 84
• Number of connecting room options: 3
Restaurants & Bars
• Ham Yard Bar and Restaurant
• Executive Head Chef Robin Read
• Open to internal and external guests from 7am – 10.30pm. All day dining
• Ham Yard restaurant and bar has a frequently changing menu revolving around the freshest, seasonal ingredients and the best of British produce. Dishes range from house-glazed Ham Yard ham and hand rolled pasta to chilli beans on toast and peanut butter ice cream profiteroles.
• The bar offers a selection of small plates including slow roasted short rib, crispy mac and cheese with truffle, and rabbit sausage rolls with harissa mayonnaise.
• Ham Yard Hotel has a fully equipped gym with expert personal trainers.
• The Hotel has a private, fully equipped hypoxic gym for those wanting to take their training to the next level. The Gym is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
• Soholistic Spa offers a full range of body and beauty treatments, to be enjoyed in one of the beautifully appointed treatment rooms in the Soholistic Spa at Ham Yard Hotel or in the comfort of your room.
• The Spa offers two individual rooms and a double treatment room, along with a relaxation area, steam room and showers, fully equipped gym and changing rooms.
• Firmdale Hotels has partnered with Temple Spa to provide a unisex range of highly advanced products and treatments created to combat the stresses and strains of everyday life. They offer the very best in anti-ageing skin care, aromatherapy and anti-oxidants.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• The Dive Bar is a large, neon-lit bar area servicing all of the events spaces. It features a giant orange juicer and a range of eclectic artwork and furnishings selected by Kit Kemp. It links through to the 190 seat theatre and cinema
• The Croc is a private events space which houses an original 1950’s bowling alley, stylish lounge, bar and dance floor.
• There are three private event spaces ranging from 22 people to 120 all with AM systems and can be arranged in a variety of styles such standing reception or private dining.
• The fourth floor roof garden has sweeping views of London’s skyline and has an abundance of flowers, trees, vegetables and herbs. The terrace can be hired for a minimum of two hours and can hold up to 100 people.
Extra Notable Features
In the midst of bustling Soho and on the doorstep of Ham Yard Hotel, lie the charming boutiques of Ham Yard Village. Tucked away from the busy streets of London, independent boutiques are dotted around a tree-filled pedestrian courtyard.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• New London Architecture Awards 2015 – Hotels & Hospitality Winner
• Westminster Society Award for Contribution to Urban Vitality 2015
• Mrs and Mrs Smith, The Smith Awards 2014 – Best Newcomer
• Tatler Travel Award 2014 – Most Fun Ever
Number of employees