Hayfield Manor Ireland
Perrott Avenue, College Road, T12 HT97
Hayfield Family Collection
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Ettienne Van Vrede CEO
Ettienne studied Hotel Management at the Cape Town Hotel School in Granger Bay, in his native South Africa, where he graduated top of his class. After gaining experience in renowned world class hotels, Ettienne decided to make the move to Ireland and joined the team at Hayfield Manor in May 2003. Ettienne held the role of General Manager at Hayfield Manor for 10 years. A desire to provide guests with service that exceeds their expectations is what drives Ettienne and has led him to his current position of CEO of The Hayfield Collection. Ettienne is constantly searching for new ideas and methods to ensure that guest satisfaction is maximized. For Ettienne, our collection of properties are not simply hotels, but are a home away from home.
5 Star – Legend Member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts and Ireland’s Blue Book
At Hayfield Manor we have a rolling refurbishment program throughout the year with a focus on carrying out major works during the month of January. Each year the hotel heavily reinvests in its interiors, exteriors and services to ensure our guests experience the 5 star service on which we pride ourselves. We are also committed to continuously investing in our people. We embrace new team members and providing ongoing training for all team members to ensure they reach their potential and can offer the best service to our guests.
History & Story
Hayfield Manor was originally built by the Musgraves, a family who were recognised as Merchant Princes of Cork. The Hayfield estate was purchased by hoteliers, Joe and Margaret Scally in the early 1990s, and with the house in disrepair, the Scally family rebuilt the property and, in 1996, they opened Hayfield Manor as Cork city’s first five star hotel. Hayfield Manor still remains Cork’s premier 5 star hotel and, while providing all the charm of a grand manor house, the hotel provides a chic hidewaway uniquely posed within two-acres of beautiful walled gardens in Cork city’s historic University Quarter, and is just a pleasant stroll to the heart of Cork city. Residents of Hayfield Manor experience exceptional hospitality from staff attuned to providing memorable personal service. Hayfield Manor offers a choice of luxurious accommodation with each spacious bedroom individually designed and furnished. Cork is particularly recognised for its thriving food scene, with a host of outstanding artisan food producers making Cork the gourmet capital of Ireland. Hayfield Manor is renowned locally as a dining hub and is home to two excellent restaurants; Perrotts Garden Bistro is the hotel’s popular casual dining venue with a 2 AA Rosette menu inspired by world food trends & peppered with the best of local produce, & Hayfield Manor’s signature restaurant, Orchids, features the finest in contemporary Irish cuisine set within a dramatic & glamorous backdrop, inspired by the eponymous flower. The Beautique Spa at Hayfield Manor is a city sanctuary providing bespoke Elemis spa therapy within 7 individual treatment spaces.
Date added extensions
An extension was added in 2005.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Hayfield Manor is a unique family owned and led Manor House style property enclosed on 2 acres of gardens in the university quarter of Cork City. Hayfield Manor provides an excellent central location for touring Cork city and county with visitor hotspots such as Kinsale, Cobh, Midelton (home to Jameson Distillery) and Blarney (home to the worrld famous Blarney Castle & Stone) all within a short drive from the hotel.
Hayfield Manor is located on the cusp of the city centre in the historic University Quarter. Guests of Hayfield Manor should visit the adjacent grounds of University College Cork, with its beautiful limestone quad (home to Ireland’s largest collection of Ogham Stones), Honan Chapel and the Glucksman Gallery. All the attractions of the city centre are a mere 15 minutes approximate stroll from Hayfield Manor, including the heart of the shopping and social district. Cork International Airport is approximately 7km from the hotel and has a taxi rank at the exit. Kent Train Station is situated at the outskirts of the city centre, approximately 3km from Hayfield Manor and there is a taxi rank in the station.
Key sites/activities in the area
University College Cork- Situated across from Hayfield Manor, discovering the historic campus of the university is an ideal way to while away an afternoon. With a range of architecturally diverse buildings, such as the Glucksman Art Gallery and the Honan Chapel, and a beautiful river-way walk and gardens, UCC is sure to impress. Private walking tours of UCC can be arranged.
St. Finbarr’s Cathedral, founded in the 7th century, is within 5 minutes walk of Hayfield Manor and is en route to the heart of Cork city. St Finbarr’s Cathedral is one of the most beautiful and interesting buildings in Ireland with over 1260 sculptures adorning the Cathedral.
English Market- Voted one of the top ten best food markets in Europe by the Observer Food Magazine, is not to be missed. The atmosphere, sights and smells make The English Market a shopping experience unlike any other in the city. The bustling market is brimful of the freshest produce from local farmers and producers, including meat, seafood, and fruit & vegetables. For those with a sweet tooth, a visit to the homemade cakes and chocolate stalls will be the highlight.
Cork is known as the Gourmet Capital of Ireland and as a guest of Hayfield Manor you can shop at the city’s famous indoor food market, The English Market, and Hayfield Manor chefs will incorporate your purchased produce into your meal.
Junior hotel guests are most welcome at Hayfield Manor and are made to feel special with little treats such as mini bathrobes, slippers and sleep-masks. Cookies & milk are provided at bedtime and a healthy choices children’s menus and delightful children’s afternoon tea also features.
• Number of suites: 4 Suites
• Number of Luxury rooms: 88
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 88
Hayfield Manor offers a choice of luxurious accommodation with 88 luxury bedrooms including 4 suites. Each unique and spacious guest room is designed with comfort to the fore with beautiful classical furnishings and exquisite fabrics which make each room a pleasure in which to reside.
Each room features; Luxurious Orthopaedic King/Twin Beds, Individually controlled air-conditioning, Spacious bathrooms, most with double vanity units. Bathrooms feature Elemis Spa Products. In-room amenities include Tea & Coffee Making Facilities, Cosy Bathrobes and Slippers, Complimentary High Speed WIFI, Flat Screen TV, Safe, Hairdryer, Iron & Ironing Board and, uniquely, a Golf Putter to work on your technique! Evening Turn-down Service, 24 hour Room Service, Residents’ Lounge and Concierge Service are available to all residents. All hotel guests can avail of complimentary valet parking & private car park within the Manor walls.
Bedrooms are broken down into the following categories :
• Manor Rooms
• Superior Rooms
• Deluxe Rooms
• Grand Suite
• Master Suite
Residents can experience an in-room yoga practice via the bespoke Hayfield Manor yoga channel designed for the enjoyment of the hotel’s guests.
Restaurants & Bars
Executive Head Chef Mark Staples, philosophy is centralized on using the freshest of ingredients from local artisan suppliers.
• Perrotts Garden Bistro : Located in the contemporary garden room of Hayfield Manor Hotel, the two AA Rosette, Perrotts Garden Bistro is the popular casual dining restaurant at Hayfield Manor, serving outstanding international cuisine 7 days a week. With its distinctly relaxed atmosphere, light-filled and with nature inspired décor, Perrotts Garden Bistro is the perfect restaurant venue in which to enjoy lunch or dinner with friends & colleagues or to opt for a cosy corner for an intimate tête-à-tête with a loved one. Perrotts Garden Bistro features a wide range of Mediterranean and international speciality dishes with a menu designed to feature dishes that appeal to all palates. At Perrotts Garden Bistro, the menu is inspired by world food trends to create a menu that is diverse, exciting, and above all delicious! Using the freshest quality, locally sourced ingredients, Perrotts Garden Bistro’s talented team deliver exceptional meals 7 days a week, with a fluid menu in keeping with the most enticing seasonal produce. Traditional Sunday Lunch is also served. Lunch is severed from 12.30p.m to 2.30p.m. Dinner is served from 5.30p.m to 10.30p.m.
• Orchids Restaurant : Overlooking the beautiful private gardens and the leafy grounds of the hotel, Hayfield Manor’s Signature restaurant Orchids is a premier Cork city gourmet restaurant. Soft lighting and flickering candles create the perfect atmosphere to enjoy a spectacular meal prepared by our Executive Head Chef Mark Staples and his talented team. Orchids restaurant has a reputation, for an exceptional dining experience, as one of the best restaurants in Cork City. Orchid’s offers exquisite contemporary Irish Cuisine created using the freshest local ingredients which is served by attentive staff, ensuring an unforgettable dining experience. Orchids Restaurant offers a table d’hote menu which, as well as the delights that Cork has to offer, includes amuse bouche, sorbet & petit fours. Reservations are welcome from 7.00pm to 9.30pm.
Summer Season – Wednesday. Friday. Saturday & Sunday
Winter Season – Friday & Saturday nights
• The Manor Bar : The Manor Bar at Hayfield Manor is full of old world sophistication with contemporary accent pieces to satisfy both the traditionalists and design-lovers alike. Serving everything from morning coffee with freshly baked scones and light meals from our daytime menu the Manor Bar’s friendly and relaxed atmosphere provides an ideal location to enjoy some lively conversations with your friends and family. In the evening, residents and Corkonians alike convene at The Manor Bar to sip aperitifs and savor Smorgasbords of local fare. Post dinner, relax in an armchairs with a the perfect digestif or choose one of many fine whiskies from the extensive collection for the perfect finish to your delicious meal. The Manor Bar’s knowledgeable and friendly staff will be delighted to inform you about the wonderful vintages on offer from our wine cellar. For those who prefer something a little different our Signature Cocktail is a staple that is not to be missed.
• The time-honoured experience of Afternoon Tea is available in the chic surroundings of Orchids Restaurant daily from 1pm. Savour a selection of dainty finger sandwiches, delicious scones with preserves and cream, a selection of homemade tea-breads and an assortment of miniature pastries, cakes & chocolates all served with speciality teas and coffee. For the perfect accompaniment to a leisurely afternoon, a glass of chilled Prosecco or Champagne is recommended with your afternoon tea!
• The Beautique Spa is a significant ingredient in the luxurious Hayfield Manor experience. As you enter the spa feel your senses soothed by the heat that cocoons you and the fragrant aroma of the luxurious Elemis Spa Products.
• In addition to elegant treatment rooms, The Beautique facilities include a 16 meters swimming pool with poolside loungers, steam room, sauna and outdoor Jacuzzi.
• A fitness studio is also available to hotel residents.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Hayfield Manor is the venue of choice for high profile VIP meetings, conferences and for special events that require true 5 star service. The professional and attentive Meeting & Events team are accustomed to planning and implementing the requirements of clients to their exact specifications and take the utmost pleasure in persistently surpassing valued client’s expectations. The meeting criteria are sure to be met by the experienced team and within one of our dedicated meeting rooms. All conference and meeting rooms are flooded with natural daylight, have an unobscured views and are individually decorated in classical style.
When your conference is sure to attract a crowd, the Kane Kirby Room will cater for up to 120 people. The Boole Suite offers an executive experience and can seat up to 50 delegates theatre style, 20 for a boardroom meeting and up to 55 guests for a banquet.
• Hayfield Manor is an excellent venue for client entertaining, showcasing fine local produce and culinary talent for a gourmet dining experience in Cork. With many private dining spaces to choose from such at The Vine Wine Cellar, The Boole Suite, Orchids Private Dining Room and two world-class restaurants, you are sure to wow your clients! Perrotts Garden Bistro is the hotel’s popular casual dining venue with a menu inspired by world food trends & peppered with the best of local produce & Hayfield Manor’s signature restaurant, Orchids, features the finest in contemporary Irish cuisine set within a dramatic & glamorous backdrop, inspired by the eponymous flower. Residents of Hayfield Manor experience exceptional hospitality with staff expert in providing personal & memorable service alongside every modern comfort.
Extra Notable Features
• Whiskey Tasting is available at The Manor Bar. Discover the taste of Ireland with the very best of Irish Whiskey, you will be guided by our in-house Whiskey experts.
• Stout Tasting at The Manor Bar- a unique local beer tasting experience.
• Wine Tasting in The Vine Wine Cellar with Resident Sommelier Simone Davide Buffi.
• Bread Making
• Bodhrán/Tin Whistle Workshop
• Irish Dancing Workshop
• History Talk
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Rachel O’Malley Awarded Best Therapist for Customization at the Irish Tatler Spa Awards 2019
• National Hospitality Awards 2019: Best City Hotel
• Trip Advisor Traveller Choice Awards 2019: Top Hotels in Ireland, Top Luxury Hotels in Ireland, Top Hotels in Ireland for Service, Top Hotel in Ireland for Romance
• Rachel O’Malley, Awarded Best Therapist at the Irish Tatler Spa Awards 2018
• Number 1 Hotel in Cork on TripAdvisor
• Irish Beauty Industry Awards- Resident Spa of the Year 2018
• Costco Travel- Preferred Partner Award
• Best Front of House in Munster at Yes Chef Awards 2018
• Highly Commended 5 Star Hotel at the Georgina Campbell Irish Breakfast Awards 2018
• AA Five Star Hotel 2018
• Perrotts Garden Bistro received Two Rosettes in 2018 for Culinary Experience from the AA
• TripAdvisor Traveller’s Choice award 2018- Ranked 4th top hotel in Ireland
• TripAdvisor Traveller’s Choice award 2017- Ranked 5th top hotel in Ireland
• TripAdvisor Traveller’s Choice award 2016- Ranked 7th top hotel in Ireland
Number of employees