Hotel Astoria, a Rocco Forte Hotel Russia
Hotel Astoria, a Rocco Forte Hotel
St Isaac’s Square / Ul. Bolshaya Morskaya 39,
St Petersburg 190000
Rocco Forte Hotels
Date of Creation
23 December 1912
Hotel General Manager
Gerold J. Held has 30 years experience in the hospitality industry. Mr Held holds a degree in Hotel Management from Fritz Gabler Hotel and Catering Management College in Heidelberg, Germany, has completed a number of courses at Cornell University and holds an MBA in Tourism Management.
Brand awareness and account aquisition.
Hotel Astoria, a Rocco Forte Hotel
History & Story
Located at St Petersburg’s most prestigious historic address at the very heart of the city, home to famous actors and musicians, politicians and artists, Astoria is a part of Rocco Forte’s exclusive collection of hotels. It is a vibrant hotel with illustrous biography, blending European sophistication with contemporary and timeless style. Just steps away from the Hermitage and Mariinsky theatre, Astoria allows you to experience the best of the dazzling city up close and enjoy a carefully preserved tradition of true Russian hospitality. Relax and refresh in the comfort of your room, where fashionable design features are in respectful harmony with classic interiors. Enjoy a Russian Afternoon Tea in sunlit Rotonda, where for many years delicacies have been served on blue patterned Imperial Porcelain dishes Astoria is famous for, and feel the history coming alive in the most authentic hotel in St Petersburg that has been part of the city for over 100 years.
Renovation in 2013: rooms and suites (including Deluxe, Ambassador, Junior Suites and Tsar Suite), Astoria Restaurant and Lichfield bar. Renovation in 2016: Rotonda Lounge
Designer : Olga Polizzi.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Unique location in the heart of the city, Historic hotel (since 1912), Rocco Forte family flair.
Ideally located in the centre of St Petersburg, overlooking St Isaac’s Cathedral and within easy walking distance from the world famous Hermitage Museum and the Mariinsky Theatre. Historic centre of St Petersburg is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Key sites/activities in the area
The State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace, The Nevsky prospekt, The Admiralty, The Peter and Paul Fortress, The Mariinsky Theatre, St Isaac’s Cathedral, The Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood, The Catherine Palace and park in Tsarskoye Selo, The Grand Palace and Park in Peterhof.
Imperial Porcelain created the Cobalt Cell pattern exclusively for Hotel Astoria. In the 20th century Winter Garden was famous restaurant of French cuisine. Part of the world-famous novel “The Master and Margarita” by Mikhail Bulgakov was written in Hotel Astoria.
Families R Forte programme is tailored for babies (0-3), kids (4-12) and teens (13-16). Within our hotels there are details that children will love, from personalised check-in cards and welcome treats, to pint-sized bathrobes and cuddly toys. Older guests can enjoy bespoke itineraries created by our Concierge team, special spa treatments or interactive entertainment in their rooms.
Number of suites: 86
Number of Luxury rooms:6
Number of rooms (keys) in all: 169
Our 83 rooms and 86 suites have been individually designed by Olga Polizzi. Contemporary elegance is blended with classic charm. Beds draped in Volga Linen. Russian artwork and antiques. Prints from the Mariinsky Theatre. A selection of Russian classics by your bedside. From Tolstoy and Pushkin to Dostoevsky and Checkov.
• Classic room (25 sq.m.) – view to a quite inner courtyard
• Deluxe room (25 sq.m.) – overlook Bolshaya Morskaya street or the Mariinsky Palace in St Isaac’s Square.
• Superior Deluxe Room Cathedral View (25 sq.m.) – View to St Isaac’s Square and Cathedral
• Studio room (44 sq.m.) – overlook Bolshaya Morskaya street or a quiet inner courtyard
• Junior Suite (40 sq.m.) – overlook Bolshaya Morskaya street
• Junior Suite Cathedral View (40 sq.m.) – view to St Isaac’s Square and Cathedral
• Classic Suite Palace View (50 sq.m.) – views over the Statue of Nicholas I and the Mariinsky Palace or St Isaac’s Square and Cathedral.
• Deluxe Suite Palace View (55 sq.m.) – views over the Statue of Nicholas I and the Mariinsky Palace or St Isaac’s Square and Cathedral.
• Ambassador suite (60 sq.m.) – a courtyard view
• Presidential suite (108 sq.m.) – a panoramic view of the Mariinsky Palace, Statue of Nicholas I, St Isaac’s Square and Cathedral.
• Royal suite (108 sq.m.) – a panoramic view of the Mariinsky Palace, Statue of Nicholas I, St Isaac’s Square and Cathedral
• Tsar Suite (310 sq.m.) – view onto St Isaac’s Square and Cathedral
Restaurants & Bars
• Astoria Restaurant
Russian cuisine with a French twist. Chef – David Ayrault
• Rotonda Lounge
Light meals and drinks throughout the day. Afternoon tea, with desserts from our Astoria Chocolatier
• Lichfield Bar
cocktails, exclusive whiskies and light meals.
Italian restaurant in the adjacent Angleterre Hotel.
• Spa centre (24-hour gym, sauna and steam room)
• Fitness centre in Angleterre Hotel (gym, sauna and swimming pool)
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Winter Garden and Ballroom for up to 350 guests
• 5 meeting rooms for up to 70 delegates
• Business Centre
• 4 additional meeting rooms and a Conference Hall for 200 delegates in the adjacent Angleterre Hotel
Extra Notable Features
• Maison de beaute Carita (5 treatment rooms, hair salon, express beauty services)
• Yoga classes
• Angleterre Cinema Lounge
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
• Russia’s Leading Luxury Hotel 2017 by World Travel Awards™
• The winner of the “Travellers’ choice 2015” by TripAdvisor
• Russian Hospitality Awards 2015 – The Best Historical Hotel.
• TOP 100 Hotels and Resorts in the World | Conde Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards 2014
• Best Russian Hotel for honeymoon – Wedding Awards 2014 by Wedding magazine
• Annual Wedding Awards by Wedding Magazine in 2013 – the special award “100 years of the perfect service”
• Russian Business Travel & MICE Awards 2013. The Best Travel & MICE Hotel in St Petersburg in 2013.
• Hotel Astoria became one of the “Robb Report TOP 100 Hotels: Europe” in 2013
• General Director of Hotel Astoria Gerold J. Held received the award in 2014 – “Top 10 German Hoteliers work abroad 2014”. Organized by BUSCHE Publishing house.
Number of employees