Hotel Du Palais, France
Hotel Du Palais
1, Avenue de l’Impératrice
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Mrs Cécile PASCOUAU
Luxurious experiences in a prestigious palace
Hotel Du Palais
History & Story
A living memory of Biarritz history, France and Europe, the “Villa Eugénie”, now Hotel du Palais, was built in 1855 by Napoléon III for his wife Eugénie de Montijo. The main hall, private salons, restaurants have all maintained their second empire style. A style which defines Biarritz and assures its reputation as a refined ocean resort.
The hotel has been constantly renovated and an important renovation of the south wing of the property, is currently in process during winter 2018-2019
Date added extensions
- 1892 : first extension
- 1905 : totally renovated by Edouard-Jean Niermans
- 2006: opening of the Imperial Spa (30.000 sq.ft.)
Main Strengths, Special Touch
All the rooms and suites are enhanced with artwork, tapestries, furnished in predominantly second empire style from the days of Napoleon III. The greatest care went into selecting furniture and fabrics to create a resonant harmony and unique style for each room. Suites are noble, elegant and refined, offering the vision of a certain luxury à la Française, with antics, luxurious materials such as Birman teck, Carrara marble and Italian glass mosaics.
Located at the heart of the Basque Country, less than 15 miles from the Spanish border, the city of Biarritz is a breath of bracing sea air, boasting 2.5 miles of Atlantic oceancoastline. The region offers a wide range of cultural, culinary and sports activities to suit every taste.
Key sites/activities in the area
- Sport: seawater activities (surf, paddle surf, jet ski, kite surf, sealing) – 16 golf courses in the area (open all year round thanks to the micro climate) – trecking in the Pyrenées – horse riding Culture: typical Basque villages: Bayonne, St Jean de Luz, Espelette, St Jean Pied de Port
- Spain: Fontarrabie (20 min), San Sebastian (30 min), Bilbao Guggenheim museum (1h20)
Museums: the Aquarium of Biarritz, Historical Museum, Asiatica Oriental Art Museum, Museum of Chocolate, City of the Ocean, the Basque Museum at the heart of Bayonne
- Gastronomy: 20 Michelin starred restaurants between Biarritz and San Sebastian
In 1905, the architect Edouard-Jean Niermans enlarged the hotel, adding one wing to the building and designing a “E shape” in tribute of Princess Eugénie de Montijo.
The hotel is family friendly with connecting rooms and offers complimentary kids club during school holidays from 5 to 12 years old with a huge range of activities: creative workshop, board games, padding area, crab fishing contest, festive snack times… For teenagers, surf, golf, tennis, skate board nearby. Parents-children coaching sessions at our Imperial Spa.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 139 rooms
• Chambre Biarritz 15 rooms between 25 and 35 sq.m.
• Deluxe Biarritz 17 rooms between 30 and 35 sq.m.
• Chambre Mer & Plage 44 rooms between 25 and 35 sq.m.
• Deluxe Mer & Plage 16 rooms between 30 and 45 sq.m.
• Junior Suite Biarritz 19 rooms between 35 and 45 sq.m.
• Junior Suite mer 12 rooms between 45 and 55 sq.m.
• Suite Palais 4 rooms between 50 and 60 sq.m.
• Suite Ocean 4 rooms between 60 and 85 sq.m.
• Appartement 4 rooms between 64 and 80 sq.m.
• Suite Impériale 4 rooms between 75 and 85 sq.m.
• Suite Royale 2 rooms between 105 and 125 sq.m.
Complimentary: Imperial Spa access (indoor pool,fitness, kinesis, hammam, sauna),wifi, parking, Imperial Club (outside seawater swimming pool, solarium) kids club.
Amenities: Champagne, flowers, cake of the day, Guerlain perfume, gift, kids gift, fruit basket (according to the reservation)
Restaurants & Bars
• L’IMPERATRICE :a sumptuous restaurant dedicated to Eugénie. Seasonal and regional cuisine made
from the finest products is served in an intimate ambiance for an exquisite dining experience.
• VILLA EUGENIE: Considered to be one of the most beautiful restaurant dining rooms in Europe, La Villa Eugenie offers breathtaking views of the ocean, bay and Biarritz lighthouse. Classic, refined and flavourful cuisine in perfect accord with the venue’s exceptional character.
• LE JARDIN DE L’OCEAN: Bar & brasserie, overlooking the main beach of Biarritz (opened during Spring/Summer)
• LOUNGE D’EUGENIE: lounge at the Imperial Spa (for lunch only)
• IMPERIAL BAR: piano bar for enjoying signature cocktails and lounge ambiance
• Imperial Spa with of 3.000 sq.m, opened every day from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm: indoor pool, 2 saunas, 2 hammams, jacuzzi, Guerlain treatment rooms and Leonor Greyl hair-care institute.
• Indoor fitness activities: Pilates studio, Qi Gong, yoga and cutting edge Technogym equipment, aquafitness, dynabike, watercrossfit, aquazen,
• Outside seawater swimming pool with direct access to the beach: swimming lessons and beach activities: surf, paddle surf, jet ski
Corporate & Celebration Events
• 7 private salons
• meeting rooms up to 230 delegates in theatre style, all with day light
• Weddings, private functions, celebration events
• Exclusive use of the property
Extra Notable Features
• 16 golf courses nearby: Biarritz Le Phare golf course, sister golf with Augusta. Golf courses are opened all year round thanks to the micro climate.
• International dance music festivals, theatre, surf championship, typical Basque villages to explore.
• San Sebastian, 30 min drive – Bilbao and the Guggenheim museum, 1h20 min drive
Hotel and restaurant Awards
Number of employees
141 permanent staff – 300 in Summer season