Hotel Giardino Ascona Switzerland
Hotel Giardino Ascona
Via del Segnale 10, 6612 Ascona
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Wolfram Merkert has been working for Giardino Ascona for 9 years, first as Vice General Manager & F&B Manager and once the Giardino Group was founded he took over the role as General Manager.
5 Star Superior Luxury, Design Hotel
Giardino Ascona is part of a small, fine collection of 5 stars hotels in Switzerland. The hotels are niche products for people who look for relaxation and laid-back luxury.
Hotel Giardino Ascona
History & Story
The name that now unites all Giardino retreats and resorts was born at Giardino Ascona. The hotel has opened in 1986. For many years, it was the only Boutique hotel in Ticino, in the south part of Switzerland.
The CEO of Giardino Hotels, Daniela and Philippe Frutiger, have been working for many years at the hotel; Philippe as F&B Manager and Daniela as Spa Manager. The couple took over the operational lead for several years and led the hotel with passion and professionalism. In 2008 they founded the Giardino Hotels and operate now as the CEO’s of the group.
The entire hotel building (including all rooms and suites) has been renovated in 2009 by architect Rolf Balmer. The pool area has been completely renewed in 2020.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Unique wellbeing retreat, which combines a contemporary feeling of “Dolce Vita lifestyle” with a casual laid-back luxury ambiance.
The Giardino Ascona is nestled in a lush Mediterranean-inspired parkland on the northern shore of “Lago Maggiore” close to Ascona in Ticino region, Switzerland.
The Ticino region is the Italian-speaking soul of Switzerland with plenty of sunshine all year round. The lake town Ascona is famous for its charming old city centre, the lake promenade, which is dotted with street cafés and its ambiance of pure “Italianità”.
Key sites/activities in the area
- Lakeside: Swimming, stand-up paddling, jogging, biking, boat trips
- Cityside: Shopping, concerts (Moon & Stars Festival, Locarno Film Festival), museums & art exhibitions
- Mountainside: Hiking, biking, paragliding
General Manager Wolfram Merkert is also a passionate trumpet player who loves to take ambitious hotel guests to the top of the “Monte Verità” for a trumpet lesson at sunrise.
The restaurant manager Mauro is a true multi-talent. He is a passionate opera singer for our guests during the wine tasting in our “Enoteca” wine cellar and acts as well as a pilot for our Giardino air plane.
Chef Concierge Claudio is a true icon in the history of Switzerland hotels scene. Named best concierge of the year by the renowned association “Clefs d’Or” for many in a row.
Kids are kept entertained at the Dino Club, which is set in its own area of the hotel’s grounds, with a palm-fringed beach and football pitch. It offers childcare and a programme of fun activities for 3 to 13 year olds.
• Number of suites: 18
• Number of Luxury rooms: 54
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 72
• Views into the Mediterranean garden or over the Ticino mountains, all rooms with private balcony or terrace
Restaurants & Bars
• Restaurant Ecco, 2 Michelin Stars & 18 Gault Millau points by Chef Rolf Fliegauf.
The restaurant Ecco is one of Switerland’s most exclusive fine-dining venues.
• Restaurant Hide & Seek, 15 Gault Millau points by Chef Adrian Bührer
Casual dining experience with Mediterranean-inspired cuisine.
• Bar & Lounge Hide & Seek
• Pool Side Restaurant
• Indoor pool
• Outdoor pool
• Sauna zone, jacuzzi, fitness
• Spa & beauty treatments, massages
• Ayurvedic treatments with Ayurveda by Giardino
Corporate & Celebration Events
• From 4 to 60 people
• Meeting rooms:
Appunto 86 m2, L 11.20 m x B 7.70 m, max. 60 people
Incontro 27 m2, L 5.50 m x B 5.00 m, max. 30 people
• Event types: corporate events, teambuilding events, private dinners, weddings, incentive trips
• All event facilities are equipped with the latest « state-of-art technology “ and daylight
Extra Notable Features
• Mindfulness at our Ayurveda competence centre (Ayurveda by Giardino)
• Outdoor yoga sessions
• Giardino yacht for a boat trip on the “Lago Maggiore”
• Cooking classes with fresh herbs from the herbal garden
• Direct golf course access
• Giardino Bus for authentic excursions of the local highlights
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Second Michelin Star
Number of employees