Il Salviatino Italy
Via del Salviatino, 21. Fiesole – Firenze 50137
OWNERSHIP: The Rovati Family.
Alessandra Rovati Vitali, founder and art director of Tearose, is an entrepreneur, brilliant artist, innovative designer and style and trend inspirer. A distinctive branded experience, Tearose is known for offering a path through Italian style and international taste, via traditional and contemporary elements that seamlessly combine simplicity and magnificence.
Date of Creation
New ownership, July 2016
Hotel General Manager
Juan Miquel. A native of Mallorca, Spain. Juan joins Il Salviatino by way of Castello Banfi – Il Borgo, where he was General Manager of the award-winning Tuscany winery’s hospitality division, which comprised the 14-room Virtuoso and Relais & Chateaux luxury hotel, a historic castle, a wine shop and two restaurants. During his tenure, the property received numerous accolades, including “Top 100 Hideaways in the World” by Andrew Harper, AFAR’s Travelers Choice Award, and “Top 10 Resort Hotels in Italy” in Travel + Leisure’s World’s Best Awards, among others. Previously, Juan was General Manager of Villa Mangiacane, a leading 28-room hotel in the Chianti area, where he oversaw operations of the property’s outlets, and liaised with staff across all departments to provide excellence in service to leisure and group guests alike.
Il Salviatino villa and greenhouse rooms have been completely refurbished in the past years. 2020 renovations: outdoor spaces, including a new spa and poolhouse within the property’s 5 hectares of lush private park – a perfectly primed sanctuary nestled in nature. The new additions are due to be completed in time for the villa’s highly anticipated reopening in the spring of 2021.
Il Salviatino today will reppresent an icon city resort, on the hills overlooking Firenze, worldwide recognised. The mission: aim to be one discrete, family, ecofriendly oriented, luxury city resort in the designed service style and product.
History & Story
The original structure built on this site was a Roman Castrum (fortress), the first recorded documents date back to the 14th century when the villa first belonged to the Baldesi family, followed by the Bardis.
Over the years, it was refurbished by some of Florence’s elite families, including the Tegliaccis from Siena, ultimately landing in the hands of the Salviati family in the 16th century. The Salviatis undertook an enormous restoration, adding frescoes and furnishings to create a warm and inviting space for their guests, officially naming it, Il Salviatino. By the end of the 19th century, Il Salviatino was under the ownership of American official Mr. Phelps Thomas, who hired artist Augusto Bruschi for some decorative works, including the beautiful fresco we can still admire in what is now called, in its honor, the Affresco Suite.
In 1911, the villa was acquired by Ugo Ojetti, a passionate poet, journalist and art critic, who loved to spend his days reading, writing poetry and admiring the stunning views of Florence from what is now Room 8.
After Ojetti’s death, the villa was passed down to his heirs and then, during the 70s and 80s, became Stanford University’s headquarters in Italy. Upon Stanford’s departure, the villa was abandoned for almost 20 years and after a huge renovation that brought it back to its 19th century splendor, it officially opened as a hotel in 2010.
As of late 2016, Il Salviatino is under the ownership of Alessandra Rovati Vitali, founder and art director of Tearose.
2016, on going.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Breathtaking views of Florence and its famed Duomo from the terrace and the Dome view rooms and suites
Own organic herb and vegetable garden
Nestled in the hills which overlook Florence, the villa is just 15 minutes away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but conveys the feeling of being lost in the abundant Tuscan countryside. A complimentary shuttle service to down town Florence offers luxe transport to this splendid city.
Key sites/activities in the area
Florence is a city full of art: Uffizi, Academia, Ponte Vecchio, the Duomo Complex, Palazzo Pitti with the Boboli Gardens. Just taking a walk in the city centre, you can taste the history of the city.
In the village of Fiesole, just 5 minutes far from Il Salviatino, you can admire the ancient vestiges of the Etruscan civilization.
Mr. Ojetti was responsible for adding the Greenhouse Suites as well as the magnificent library which, at the time, was one of the most renowned cultural lounges attended regularly by celebrities of their fields such as Salvador Dalì and Gabriele D’Annunzio.
Swimming Pool, Historical Park, Vegetable Garden.
• Number of luxury rooms and suites: 41
• 6 Superior room – Avg size: 30 mq
• 13 Deluxe room – Avg size: 40 mq
• 3 Deluxe room dome view – Avg size: 30 mq
• 8 Junior suite – Avg size: 50 mq
• 3 Junior suite dome view – Avg size: 40 mq
• 5 Greenhouse suite – Avg size: 75 mq
• 3 Unique suite – Avg size: 80 mq
• 1 Ojetti suite – Size: 110 mq
All rooms include:
· Welcome drink upon arrival (Prosecco and water flavoured with herbs from our organic garden)
· Full buffet breakfast, served on our terrace overlooking the city of Firenze
· Soft drinks minibar
· Nespresso coffee machine in room
· Afternoon tea & coffee time: a selection of tea accompanied by sweet and salty snacks
· Access to the outdoor heated swimming pool
· Access to the spa & fitness room, fully equipped by Technogym
· Wi-fi in all common areas and in guest rooms
· 24 hours room service
· Complimentary mineral waters at turndown
· Parking onsite
· Pets allowed
· Facilities for family and kids
Restaurants & Bars
• Restaurant : La Terrazza
In Summer (April to mid-October), guests dine on the terrace – and at night, count the stars as they do so.
• Lounge bar – on the ground floor
• Pool bar – serves light snacks and small plates
• Spa Il Salviatino offers four treatment rooms, each with its own steam shower, and a dedicated team of therapists specializing in aroma therapeutic relaxation and anti-aging treatments.
• Swimming pool open from April to October immersed in the green hills, with stunning and relaxing views
• Fitness with Technogym equipment
Corporate & Celebration Events
Immersed in the greenery of a 5 hectares majestic private park with centuries-old trees, the property is the perfect setting for bespoke events that require personalized services in a private, elegant and relaxed atmosphere. We cater for intimate to larger events, where the exclusive use of the villa might be suggested for guests’ more comfort and privacy.
· Belvedere: intimate terrace with view over the dome, perfect for a ceremony or dinner up to 25 guests
· La Terrazza: panoramic terrace with a breath-taking view of Firenze. Receptions up to 200 guests (buy-out required at dinner for events over 60 guests)
· Piazzetta: square on the side of the villa ideal for a dinner under the stars, an Italian market style brunch or a product launch
· Biblioteca: historic library located on the ground floor of the villa. An intimate and residential atmosphere for your reception, after-party celebration or meeting up to 60 guests
· Veranda: an indoor option for an after party, reception or meeting for up to 60 guests
· Giardini del Belvedere: gardens located on the lateral side of the villa, directly connected to the hotel’s bar and with partial view over Firenze. Can host events on the grass up to 60 guests.
· Giardino all’italiana: main garden facing the city of Firenze. Can host up to 200 guests and can be rented out exclusively for your ceremony, cocktail receptions or informal parties
· Pergola: immersed in the Giardino all’italiana, is suggested for intimate weddings and receptions, can house up to 30 guests
· Pool: ideal for an exclusive barbecue and an after dinner which we can spice up with candles, colourful lights and arrange performances to entertain guests
· Organic orchard and vegetable garden: the perfect location for a nature-inspired wedding, laid back picnic and country style dinner
· Marquee: for events over 80 guests we recommend the use of a temporary marquee. Different locations can be chosen on property, depending on the number of guests and the required setting
· Kempner room: intimate room perfect for small receptions or meetings up to 30 guests
Extra Notable Features
• Vegetable and herbs organic garden
• Tailor made private tours in all Tuscany
• Yoga lessons in our garden
• Cocktail classes with our barman
• Botany lessons
• Painting courses
• Private candelit dinner in the Italian garden
• Picnic in the park
Hotel and restaurant Awards
· TripSavvy Editor’s Choice 2020: The 9 Best Florence Hotels
· Travel US News 2020: Best Hotels in Florence (#8) / Best Hotels in Italy
· Condè Nast Readers’ Choice Awards 2019: Winner of Top 10 Hotels in Florence (#1) / Top 50 Hotels in the World (# 43) / Best Hotels in Italy (#3)
· Condè Nast Readers’ Choice Awards 2018: Top Hotels in Florence (#7)
· Fodor’s Best Awards 2018: 10 Most Luxurious Hotels in Florence / 9 Florence Hotels with the Best Views / 11 Florence Hotels with the Best Amenities
· Travel US News 2018: Best Hotels Europe
· Condè Nast Readers’ Choice Awards 2017: Top Hotels in Italy (# 21)
Number of employees
96 including outsourcing (seasonal services)