La Co(o)rniche France
46 avenue Louis Gaume,
Privately owned – Owners Mr & Mrs Techoueyres
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Sophie and William Techoueyres, owners and managers, are the very soul of the establishment. As the Captain, William stands out as much for his physique as a former first division rugby player, as for his wholehearted generosity. By his side, Sophie manages the hotel with enthusiasm and efficiency. She has a natural gift for hospitality and enjoys greeting every guest personally. Determined to preserve the harmonious link between past and present that characterizes the resort, she is there to ensure that each guest has an exceptional stay.
5-Star Luxury Boutique Hotel
History & Story
La Co(o)rniche is a mythical place that evokes a Golden Age and the creation of the Côte d’Argent, the “ Silver Coast ”. A former hunting lodge in the 1930s, the resort was built by Louis Gaume, entrepreneur and brilliant land developer, in the Neo-Basque style. In the heart of a preserved site sheltered by pines, it attracted both the aristocracy and the haute bourgeoisie, drawn by the air quality, the fashion for sea bathing and the locality’s sheer magic. Since William Techoueyres take over the reins of La Corniche in 2010, the preserved authenticity of the Basque house is combined with the traditional spirit of the oyster huts, open to the panoramic view. The hotel, restaurant, terrace and bar have been reinvented with sophisticated and unabashed luxury.
In 2010, William Techoueyres decides to give La Co(o)rniche a new lease on life, with the complicity of renowned designer Philippe Starck, to waken the sleeping beauty. At La Co(o)rniche, Philippe Starck not only celebrates the magic of place, he pays tribute to the people who live there, genuine people, sparkling and filled with humor. Charming people who have won his heart, such as William and Sophie Techoueyres.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
La Co(o)rniche is the Bay’s favorite meeting place for locals and visitors looking for a change of scene and a change of pace. On the one hand, the Bar, a friendly place to meet up with old friends or make new ones, where you can taste a fine selection of drinks along with plates of oysters, foie gras or sushi. The terrace with a 180° breathtaking view of the Dune du Pilat, the Banc d’Arguin and the deep blue ocean. On the other hand, found in the center of the lobby, the Sh(o)p is a place where you’ll find fashion, accessories, design objects and jewellery, all chosen by our hostess, Sophie. The hotel also offers to 18 wooden cabins designed by Philippe Starck to recall the traditional cabins of the local oyster farmers.
• The breathtaking view of the Pyla dune and the sunset
• The proximity of the Pyla Dune
• The terrace of the restaurant and the bar
• The rythmic conviviality of the bar and the restaurant for meetings or reunions with family, friends…
• Perfect site for organizing special events (weddings, seminars)
Backed to the highest sand dune in Europe, la Dune du Pilat, La Co(o)rniche is located at the convergence of an extraordinary natural phenomena, this landscape leaves no one indifferent. It reveals the vast Atlantic and the entrance to the Bay or Arcachon, closed off by the tip of the Cap Ferret.
Located a few minutes from Arcachon and about 65 km from Bordeaux Airport and 1 hour flight from Paris.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Dune du Pilat at 2 min.
• Cap ferret, Banc d’Arguin, Île aux oiseaux
• Bordeaux, Saint-Emilion.
There are also a lot of activities in the area: water taxi, excursions with local agencies, paragliding, hang-gliding, golf, tennis, bike ride, horse ride, canoe kayak, Jet Ski, surf, tubing, fly board, kite surf, paddle, water skiing & scuba diving.
– There are around 400 different wines in La Co(o)rniche’s cellar, expertly curated by head sommelier, Frederic Carrier.
– About the pool, the shape echoes that of the local oyster beds, and its grey and blue form merges with the infinite horizon of the ocean.
– In the Sh(o)p, La Co(o)rniche has partnered with selected brands to customize their products : an opportunity to take home a souvenir in the form of a pair of Havaianas or a Laguiole knife stamped with the famous (O!
– Sophie Techoueyres wanted to share her passion for design with her clientele. She has an emotional connection to each piece in her wardrobe. This is the case with the Diane von Furstenberg dresses that she’s been collecting them for years. Or the Adidas Stan Smith sneakers: her husband William appreciates these so much he has made them the ultimate accessory for the serving staff, dressed in white from head to toe!
The hotel offers several possibilities for a good family holiday: Huts with King Size bed 180 x 200 and single bed, a Babysitting service, the Beach & many other families outing.
In the main building, the eleven rooms and Junior Suite all feature a private terrace framing a genuine picture postcard of a view. Some face Cap Ferret, others the Banc d’Arguin, and still others overlook the dune or the coast road.
The Main House
Each room, meticulously decorated by Philippe Stark, inspires a feeling akin to returning to a beloved holiday home, but also of being transported elsewhere – so typical of this hotel.
– Chambre Ferret (3 units) – 25 to 30 sqm
– Chambre Pyla (4 units) – 25 to 30 sqm
– Chambre Co(o)rniche (1 unit) – 25 sqm
– Chambre Banc d’Arguin (2 units) – 32 sqm
– Junior Suite (1 unit) – 60 sqm
In harmony with its philosophy and the natural world and designed by Philippe Starck, there are 18 wooden cabins at La Co(o)rniche recall the traditional cabins of the local oyster farmers. This is large rooms of 45m2 on average, with terrace of 18 m2, opening into a breathtaking view of the Dune du Pilat, the Banc d’Arguin and the deep blue ocean.
– Cabane Bassin (5 units)
– Cabane Bassin+ (5 units)
– Cabane Dune (2 units)
– Cabane Ocean (3 units)
– Cabane Ocean+ (3 units)
Room equipment : balcony or private terrace, TV with Canal, phone, free WIFI, safe box, minibar, Nespresso® machine, bathroom, hair dryer, table and iron.
Restaurants & Bars
• The Rest(o! : Like La Co(o)rniche itself, the restaurant is also pure French, a place that invites you to take a gastronomic break in a stunning location. The tempting menu explores fresh, local ingredients in a variety of gourmet dishes. Breakfast – reserved for hotel guests – is accompanied by the morning light of the Bay. Two chefs were needed to do justice to the kitchens at La Co(o)rniche. Both natives of the region, they have a profound understanding of its culinary wealth, an abundance they share with hotel guests. Everything is made fresh on the premises, from the ketchup to the foie gras, and not forgetting the delicious desserts like ice creams and Baba au rhum.
• The Bar: A local, François Chabrières, is at the helm here. He is enthusiastic and generous, and he is responsible for the light and festive atmosphere that invariably leads to an unforgettable evening!
Open from 12 pm to 2:00 am, the Bar offers a fine selection of superb cocktails, quality wine and champagne, along with tasting plates of oysters, foie gras or sushi. Everything is in place to please the passing traveller: an incredible view, relaxing music, and breathtaking sunsets.
The terrace opens directly into the immense pool. The outdoor pool & deckchairs, level with the sea, is exclusively reserved for hotel guests. Spa REN skincare and Hairdresser David Lucas, Sauna, Jacuzzi, fitness room Technogym available at sister property Ha(a)ïtza are also available.
Corporate & Celebration Events
La Co(o)rniche offers the opportunity to reserve spaces of varying sizes, whether for business events such as seminars or product launches in the Living Room Starck (up to 50 persons, large TV LCD screen, WIFI, opened terrace with seaview) or personal events like weddings and baptisms (up to 150 persons in Living Room Starck or up to 250 persons in La Co(o)rniche).
La Co(o)rniche and its stunning landscape, hovering between past and present, land and sea, is an enchanting setting for memorable events.